Author Topic: Fishing and Camping CCW  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Re: Fishing and Camping CCW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
A 45 Colt would work admirably against those critters, and isn't that loud.  Perhaps a 44 special as well.

Avoid a 10MM at all costs - used one once to put down a buck someone hit w. a truck - hearing's never entirely come back.  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »

I agree with you Aglifter; there has to be a better choice than a .357 or an R9 for kayaking and canoeing around Tybee or Cumberland where there are no big bears that will take you apart. Personally, I would opt for a Glock in .45 or .40 caliber that would also address most issues including reliability in wet conditions.  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
All good thoughts, for sure.  Kid was just asking about the two guns he owns, which one shoud he carry.  Of the two, the .357 has won, to answer his question.    :D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 01:36:52 PM »

I had reread his question several times and am offering another alternative if it is feasible.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »
Good thought tracker.  I'm sure it's feasible.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »
Kid:

Other than a Smith & Wesson Model 500ES with a 2¾" barrel (which I find painful just to contemplate firing), I might humbly suggest something to accommodate the 200-grain .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot JHP +P round. The bullet of that cartridge leaves the barrel at about 1,080 feet per second and can deliver 518 foot pounds of energy.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 08:36:14 PM »
Certainly, another good thought, for sure!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 01:45:20 AM »
Lets not forget he specified pocket carry.

"The both will ride in my pocket or my life vest pocket.  Its pretty much guaranteed they will get damp if not soaked."

Most 45s are pretty tough to put in any pocket.
It didn't sound like he wanted to purchase another gun for this purpose. Although all the suggestions on caliber and different weapons are feasible, if the only choice is between the two mentioned guns, the nod has to go to the revolver.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 08:26:49 AM »
If this were a scored debate, John's point would probably win the match. By way of a last-gasp rebuttal, something such as this was what I had in mind:   ;)

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory19.php
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 09:30:02 AM »
Lets not forget he specified pocket carry.

"The both will ride in my pocket or my life vest pocket.  Its pretty much guaranteed they will get damp if not soaked."

Most 45s are pretty tough to put in any pocket.
It didn't sound like he wanted to purchase another gun for this purpose. Although all the suggestions on caliber and different weapons are feasible, if the only choice is between the two mentioned guns, the nod has to go to the revolver.

John

John.  I whole heartedly agree.  Kid asked a specific question.  That question should be answered as stated; not go into different guns.  

Guys, Kid has his answer.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:25:47 PM by kjtrains »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »
Richard,
    I agree that would be a fine choice, the overall length and weight are nearly the same as the 640.
If a purchase is an option, a couple of choices I would consider would be a Kahr PM40 or PM45, much lighter than the S&W 640 or a 1911 micro.
    It comes down to wanting, needing or being able to make the purchase of another gun.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
I must defer to others in making gun purchase suggestions for the Kid!    ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:56:59 AM by kjtrains »

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 10:59:07 AM »
http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/documents/fact/51-004-0204.pdf

These earplugs provide hearing protection while letting you hear whats around you. They are available double sided, or single sided for gunfire protection only. I tried a pair of the latter last week and while the sound of gunfire was louder than with solid plugs, it was not at all painful and I had no ringing after. The range was busy while I was there.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/coarsiea.html

These are the plugs I bought. Haven't tried wearing them around to judge what effect they have, if any, on low level ambient sound, but conversation sounds normal with them.

Oh, and I vote for the 357.

Rick

Rick

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 11:00:21 AM »
Time to move on but my answer to his question, "Should I carry my R9S or S&W 640 in .357 magnum on these trips" is: No.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:00:46 AM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 11:09:24 AM »
Rick.  Good suggestion on those ear plugs.  I like the fact "provide hearing protection while letting you hear what's around you".