Author Topic: Now Its Ready!    (Read 4412 times)

Offline JHawk

Now Its Ready!  
« on: August 29, 2008, 11:27:44 AM »
My R9s now has 225 rounds downrange after three sessions at the range.  It was ready day one had I taken the time to thoroughly investigate all the threads on this great forum.  The culprit was ammo and user not the pup.  I obviously found out what most of you knew - feed it good ammo.  My thought process up front was that I would feed it what I feed my high end 1911's which is proven brand name HP and whatever I had on hand for ball ammunition.  I was both half wrong and half right - hows that for logic!  Once I eliminated Remington ball from the diet all has gone well.  Here is what I found works well for my R9.

- Full Metal Jacket - Federal American Eagle 115 gr

- HP - Speer GD 115gr & 124 gr  - Winchester Silver Tips 115gr
         - Federal Personal Defense 147 gr

I also ran through the Federal Personal Defense 105 gr expanding FMJ which had a 100% success rate.  

At this time I will stick with the 115 gr Speer and Winchester Silver tips as I found target acquisition after a shot to be a bit quicker.  I am also going to religiously change out the recoil spring at 100 rounds.  Just picked up a six pack of springs.  

I will now relegate the pup to my side and take it on every range trip but only allow it to belch a mag or two of HP.  

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Now Its Ready!  
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »
wow, way to go Jhawk. Now it's you and the pup together. Sounds like good choices of ammo.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 07:21:03 PM »
JHawk:

Great report!  Thanks for posting it.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline henryk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 07:59:22 PM »
I am thinking that if the spring goes 200 rounds it might go a bit further when at the range.  I am going to see how far it will go when I reach the 200 mark.  I am very curious about this and want to see for myself.  I have a replacement spring and will probably order a half dozen more just to have on hand.  At my age I'll probably never use that many but you never know.   :)

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »

henry,

I am sure the spring will go long after 200 and the gun will still function fine.  I believe the primary purpose of the 200 round recomended change is to keep wear and tear to a minimum.  We don't want the slide to pound the frame any more than necessary.  MOO

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline henryk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:38:05 AM »
henry,

I am sure the spring will go long after 200 and the gun will still function fine.  I believe the primary purpose of the 200 round recomended change is to keep wear and tear to a minimum.  We don't want the slide to pound the frame any more than necessary.  MOO

Mike

Hmmm I see said the blind man.  Ok   So that is not a good thing to do.  Thanks for the info.  I was thinking along other lines here.