Author Topic: A .22lr trainer version, or a conversion  (Read 8185 times)

wilco

A .22lr trainer version, or a conversion
« on: May 20, 2004, 05:54:28 PM »
unit, would be nice.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Re: A .22lr trainer version, or a conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 11:38:20 PM »
I agree.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 11:56:39 PM »
Indeed . this would be most useful ... I assume a slide/barrel combo and spring to suit.  Not gonna be cheap tho ..... imagining that Karl and Eric would have to go thru a load more R&D.

The other thing I thought of ... maybe sometime an extended mag would be useful . Needing of course a protrusion above base so as to permit current mag catch to engage.  I doubt this would be needed for carry but .. ya never know!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

wilco

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 05:46:12 PM »
actually, the Taurus PT22 is a pretty fair "understudy" .22 for the R9

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:57:36 AM »
I know this is an old old thread - but I'd like to see the R9 chambered for .22

A lot of good training can be accomplished on a .22 version, training that carries over to the R9.

Just like some training can be done with SnapCaps, there is a limit to how much can be accomplished.  Some training has to be done on your primary carry weapon, the R9 itself - that'a a given.  But having a .22 would allow an R9 owner to do more live fire training more cheaply and also save wear & tear on his or her carry R9.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
The 22 conversions are of some value for target type guns I think.  Breathing, trigger control, and consentrion on the front sight are just some of the things you can work on.  The main problem is the resulting pistol is usually so much lighter it is like shooting a different gun anyway.

Now with a defensive type weapon where sights are practically nonexistent and a very small grip frame to hold on to I can see very little value.  It is just not the same.  Point shooting a small 22 is not any where near point shooting a small 9mm.  Save your money and buy practice ammo.

Just my opinion.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 05:13:47 PM »
The 22 conversions are of some value for target type guns I think.  Breathing, trigger control, and consentrion on the front sight are just some of the things you can work on.  The main problem is the resulting pistol is usually so much lighter it is like shooting a different gun anyway.

Now with a defensive type weapon where sights are practically nonexistent and a very small grip frame to hold on to I can see very little value.  It is just not the same.  Point shooting a small 22 is not any where near point shooting a small 9mm.  Save your money and buy practice ammo.

Just my opinion.

+1
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Mike OTDP

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »
I'd buy one.  If nothing else, it cuts practice costs dramatically.