Author Topic: Starting to get braver  (Read 12862 times)

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
Re: Starting to get braver
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 07:10:19 PM »
I was in the same place about a year and a half ago.  I surmised the Kel-Tec was junk after reading up on them and inspecting several first hand.  I then set out to by a Kahr PM9. I found a dealer that had the Kahr and to my surprise the Rohrbaugh R9 in stock.  I compared both guns together and found the R9 being smaller was easier to carry.  The PM9 is hard to pocket carry.  I have carried daily for almost 20 years and found out size and weight are big factors because carrying a gun is a hassle.  I have had no problems from my R9 and I believe most of the problems I have heard users having are due to operator error.  The R9 is not for everyone.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 08:09:14 PM »
Greg,

I'm sorry about bring up the PF-9 again.  I missed the post where you talked about it.

Bill

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 08:15:23 PM »
bigyimmy,

I must strongly disagree with your statement that "and I believe most of the problems I have heard users having are due to operator error".  The evidence(evidence does not equal facts), indicate that for some reason some R9's are more tempremental or finicky than others.  I can only surmise that this is due to something in the materials used and/or something in the manufacturing process.  

The number of Rohrbaughs produced is still relatively small.  I hope that as production continues that a more consistant performing pistol will emerge.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 08:24:49 PM »
I base my opinion on the following belief.  I see people expecting the gun to fire thousands of rounds, to fire un-recommended ammunition, be maintained in by un-recommended methods, held in un-recommended fashion while shooting, and then to top it off some people can not do basic assemble or disassemble of the firearm.  This gun is not for everyone.  It has specific and limited use and people get in trouble when they try to use it or adapt it for their use outside of design parameters.  Then you have some people who mess with the gun until they get it so it will not work.  Accept it for what it is and one will be fine.  This gun is not fool proof.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 08:26:40 PM »
And I agree with that also.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline GAPhatty

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 08:34:31 PM »

All -

Thank you so much for the replies - this is exactly what I was looking for, and will definitely help me reach my decision.  I'm one of those that cleans and cares for a handgun regularly - can't expect it to do it's job when needed if I don't take care of it.

Learned this after leaving one too many of my Dad's tools out in the rain in my youth  :o  Strange how that happens - now that he's gone I realize how many of his characteristics I've adopted over the years.

Anyway - did not mean to completely hijack this great thread that was talking about carrying a 1911 cocked and locked (yes that does take some getting used to).

Fired the Kel-Tec P3-AT for the first time this morning - about 40 rounds and 'BANG' every time.  Very long trigger pull; guess I have to get used to these DAO handguns  :D

Bill - I agree with you on the PF9; don't think it will be in the same league as the R9 in terms of quality.

One related query on the dependability of the R9 - will the DLC coating on the new Stealth models increase reliability?  There's a mention of anti-galling properties on the web site and I wondered if galling was currently an issue with the stainless slides and aluminum frames.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 09:32:52 PM »

One related query on the dependability of the R9 - will the DLC coating on the new Stealth models increase reliability?  There's a mention of anti-galling properties on the web site and I wondered if galling was currently an issue with the stainless slides and aluminum frames.

In real estate it's "location."  With the R9, or any handgun with similarly minimal tolerances, it's "lubrication."  I personally prefer SuperLube and Ballistol.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 11:36:21 PM »
Greg - without trying to muddy the waters - and talking about smaller 9mm's - I have just bought this from a guy on another board - the first extra gun I have bought in ages.

I am thinking actually it might finish up with my wife to replace her Thunder .380 - if she can like it enough.  Now, PM9 it ain't - it is bigger and heavier but - as a compact 9mm I am impressed and find these Bersa's great value.

Just throwing it into the pot ;)

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 09:20:35 AM »
Chris,

That's looks like a fine gun.  I didn't realize Bersa had that model.  

Thanks for the picture.  I'm going to check out the size on Bersa's web site.

Is it almost as small as the R9S?

Bill
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:25:12 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 10:24:24 AM »
Chris:

ˇFelicitaciones!  Su Bersa es una pistola muy preciso y fiable, y tiene la mejor relación costo-calidad.  :D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2006, 05:49:53 PM »
Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone.

I'm still in the Kimber-mandated 400-500 round break-in period using 230 grain Full Metal Jacket.

Bill
Bill,
You need to shoot more. With most of my guns I've reached 400-500 rounds within 2 range sessions. Those 1911s are meant to be shot alot - not like the R9. They seem to improve as the round count increases too.

Offline GAPhatty

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for muddying the waters!  Best looking Bersa I've seen - I was not aware of this model either.  Like most of you here I have the desire/need to carry at times when size and weight is an issue;  seems to me the 'Mouse that Roars' has many benefits, and few negative attributes for a gun of this size and firepower.

I'll contact Tom and see what inventory levels are like these days, and I believe I saw another post indicating the Stealth models are now available, so I think I'm there - now it's all details!  Tom - expect a PM or email from me shortly.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »
Bill - no the UC9 Bersa is far from small when compared with the pup - I cannot put them in the same category at all.  Nothing really beats the pup for pocket rocket status.

However, for those who have any carry space to spare without going to quite full size, it does have a place.  It is when fully charged quite heavy too - 2 lbs with a 13 round mag in place and feels in the hand very substantial.

This gun is a double stacker so - with std mag 10+1 and the optional 13 rounder then 13+1 - quite something!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.