Author Topic: Bond Arms Derringers  (Read 3297 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Bond Arms Derringers
« on: November 04, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »
Someone on the Forum mentioned ( I forget who), Bond Arms Derringers. I looked them up...beautiful guns!!! I want one. But which to buy, there are so many choices? My use will be to carry when I bicycle thru some areas that are loaded with wild Boars, an occasional coyote, and the usual array of larger snakes. I'm thinking along the lines of a .410 shell. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:44:06 AM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Bond Arms Derringers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 10:32:39 AM »
My cousin has one.  Wanted to get one for myself first time I saw it, well built, powerful, compact.  All the things I wanted in a carry gun at the time, then I shot his.  Lets say, he still carries his and I never shot it again.  Did not fit me well when shooting.  Others I know are different and don't have the shooting issues with it I did.

Just saying your mileage may vary.

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »
I have an American Derringer 45/410. It is smaller than the Bond Arms derringer, and is beautiful and well built. I have carried it for the same situations that you described, but think a .38  snubbie revolver with snake shot is probably a better option with 5 double action shots rather than 2 single action shots. It is slooow to bring into the fight and even slower on the reload which comes up pretty quickly with just two shots.
On the other hand, I do sometimes carry it as a second "woods gun" loaded with .410 bird shot.
I don't think the .410 shotgun loads are an adequate round for any critters over maybe 50 lbs. at distances out past 10 feet or so. It does also fire .45 Colt which is, I think, a good defensive round.
It isn't bad to shoot in my opinion as far as recoil, but definitely isn't a target pistol.
I really like my derringer and definitely would never discourage a gun brother from purchasing another pistola. Sometimes you just have the itch and it is better to go ahead and scratch it.
Hope this helps.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:46:03 PM »
I have an American Derringer 45/410. It is smaller than the Bond Arms derringer, and is beautiful and well built. I have carried it for the same situations that you described, but think a .38  snubbie revolver with snake shot is probably a better option with 5 double action shots rather than 2 single action shots.
Its funny you say that. I was at my favorite gun dealer today & he said the same thing...so I bought a used S&W 360J Scandium .38 Special. Never shot, New in the Box...with a box of shells for $350.00. I'm happy...for now.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »
I have an American Derringer 45/410. It is smaller than the Bond Arms derringer, and is beautiful and well built. I have carried it for the same situations that you described, but think a .38  snubbie revolver with snake shot is probably a better option with 5 double action shots rather than 2 single action shots.
Its funny you say that. I was at my favorite gun dealer today & he said the same thing...so I bought a used S&W 360J Scandium .38 Special. Never shot, New in the Box...with a box of shells for $350.00. I'm happy...for now.

That is a great price for a Scandium j-frame!  I'll take two at that price!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »
When you load the unobtanium framed .38's up with shot shells, they are so light that you hardly notice them in a pocket, and the recoil is inconsequential.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis