Author Topic: Guttersnipe sights  (Read 23446 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Guttersnipe sights
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 10:21:01 PM »
Only Rohrbaugh can make that happen.  The slide is thick enough at one point,  before the sights are milled out.
RJ=

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004, 12:14:55 AM »
Wow, dr16

An ASP!   :o  Talk about a cult pistol! "Unseen in the best places," I think that is how it's described. Congratulations on being the original owner of a very special way-ahead-of-its-time piece of 20th century handgun history.

You must be very used to your Asp. How do you think it stacks up to the new 9mm compacts like Glocks, Sigs, H&Ks, Kahrs, etc?

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2004, 09:44:33 AM »
Hi 9 mil,

The ASP was my primary backup both in and out of uniform for many years. I bought a G19 just before leaving the old department and never considered it in the same light as the ASP. A bit bigger and heavier - same loads chronographed similiarly - although I had had that ASP Mag-Na-Ported.

Both my G27 and G30 are considered in a more "utilitarian" light - specific tool for a specific purpose ....

The PM 40 has yet to grow on me, but may well yet, once I have developed faith in it. It is definitely on my short list. It just came back from a visit with its maker.

I have had a R9S on order for a while and I feel that it and the ASP will make a great combination. Especially if a "GutterSnipe" like sight could be adapted to it.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 09:47:04 AM by dr16 »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 10:56:12 PM »
dr16:

I envy you.  I would love to own an ASP.  I don't know how I would justify the expenditure to my wife, who always requires an equal outlay of "discretionary income" for my "non-essential" purchases, but I would purely love to own one.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 01:05:51 PM »
Hi RS,
Thanks for the kind comments.
Back when I got mine, if you already had a 39-2 and didn't mind a wait, it was less than half of the cost of an R9S.

Dave

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2005, 05:33:52 PM »
Wow dr16, an ASP is a great addition to any collection!  You must really enjoy it!  

Does it shoot as nicely as everyone says?

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2005, 05:35:25 PM »
The ASP has the gutter snipe site mounted on top of the slide.  I wonder if such a devce could be made and then somehow connected to the top of the R9 slide? Maybe small holes could be drilled through the top of the slide and the site attached with screws.

It would make the pistol taller, but just a small bit.

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2005, 07:37:40 PM »
Hi Jim,
The ASP is a good shooter. However the trigger on the R9 is lighter and smoother than the ASP when it was in DAO mode. As much as I like the GS sights on the ASP, I don't feel they would add much to the R9 in its design duty cycle.

Offline WatchTimes

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 12:04:53 AM »
ASP?

What is this?

Where can I see a pic of one? (OK just looked it up WOW NICE!)

[glb]What do they go for when you can find them?

Please tell me more![/glb]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 12:11:58 AM by JYogi »
"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."
Barrett Tillman

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 09:41:12 AM »
Good luck!  Its a highly sought after, very limited piece.  I have no idea what they go for... but I am sure it is quite substantial.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 10:33:21 AM »
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 02:15:19 AM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Guttersnipe sights
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »
>>WOW...!  That is a cool pistol...!!  When someone finds the motherload stash...I'll take one too...!...TW<<

Offline Stook

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2005, 09:16:17 PM »
OK, guys, thanks for more salt in the wound.  

After reading the thread, I had to dig out my old inquiry about the ASP conversions.  According to the December 3, 1981 letter I have from ASP the price for conversions at that time was $450 for a customer supplied M39 and $760 for a corporation supplied weapon.  I already had the M39, and have kicked myself numerous times over the years for not going ahead with the conversion.  But, that was 1981, and $450 was a LOT more then than it is now.  I have seen the little beauty in person, and trust me, no picture can do it justice.  

Every now and then I do a search for one and right now it looks like one of the auctions have one or two but I'm not sure that they are the original m39 conversions.  They are listed between $4,000 and $5,000, depending on which one you like.  

But, anyway, thanks for bringing up the topic again and making me pull out the ASP envelope.  It was great looking over the magazine reviews and the ASP gun and accessories brochure.  

Randy

Offline alfonso2501

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2005, 03:14:22 AM »
Wow, I’ve never seen see-through grip handles before, very cool idea! I wonder if there are any other custom pistol smiths that can do that nowadays.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2005, 12:45:31 PM »
I'm sure you would be able to find one with out too much trouble.  It's just a matter of milling out the frame and inserting Plexiglas or Lexan in a window opening the grips..

The "wait time" may be the "hard" part... ;)
RJ=