Author Topic: I need some advice  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Windsor

I need some advice
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:44:15 PM »
Hi there to all of you!
This is my first question/post...why?  Because I have never had a problem of any kind with my R9s...approximately 400 rounds went thru it with only one failure (and that within the first 25 rounds).  Recently, I must have put the recoil spring in backwards because it jammed my gun up terribly and scarred the recoil assembly and the cap on the recoil assembly.  I spoke with Maria (what a peach!), sent it in, got it back within ten days.  Now it jams all the time! And I mean like 30% of the time! Failures to feed, stovepipes, and failures to eject!  Called Maria back, she put me in touch with Karl, he sent new magazine springs (twelve coils instead of nine:  much stiffer springs) and by the way he is very nice man to work with...took it out yesterday to shoot it with the new springs.  Fewer faiures, but still about ten failures (of all three types) in about 60 rounds.   A gun that was virtually 100% reliable has been turned into one that is only 85%.  Do any of you have any ideas?
ps-I have spent several hours going thru old threads, perhaps this or something like it has been discussed before, but this forum is huge!

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: I need some advice
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 02:13:22 PM »
Howdy Windsor, and welcome to the forum.

When you say that you sent "it" back in.  Are you saying the  recoil system got sent in, or the whole gun?

Regardless, the first thing I would look at since you said the recoil system may have been "scarred", would be to inspect  it closely.  
See if the recoil rod, and inside the end cap is smooth so that there is no binding. Make sure the rod is straight.  Of course you did put in a new recoil spring, right?  Maybe it was a dead spring, try another.

Also try to manually actuate the recoil system while looking at the springs to see if the small spring is binding or catching on the big spring, thus causing drag.

As you probably know, anything causing enough drag/friction or binding can interfere easily with the whole recoil and unlocking/locking of the barrell systems, thus causing all kinds of malfunctions.
And of course, proper lubrication, even lightly in the recoil system.
I'm sure more experienced pup members will have better advice.  But since you said the recoil system was the start of the problem, I don't  see any need to go fishing elsewhere until you check this area out thoroughly first.

And of course, you can always send the gun back in.

Good Luck,

Reinz

NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »
Windsor:

Welcome to the Forum.

If Reinz' suggestions don't correct the problem, you may need to install new magazine springs.

Good luck on getting your "pup" back to good health.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
Richard S,

Please pay a little more attention to posts.  Windsor already said he had installed and tested with the new mag springs.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 06:28:06 PM »
Why, so he did!  Mea maxima culpa.   :)

Sorry for the oversight, Windsor.  

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:14:20 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Windsor

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:26:59 PM »
Thanks you so much for the welcomes...you all are a gracious bunch!
I sent the whole firearm in, unassembled and uncleaned, as per Maria's instructions.  
It came back with a new cap on the recoil system.  I ordered 2 extra magazine springs (my manual said to change the recoil spring every 500 rounds; a new manual came back with the gun indicating that they should be changed every 100 rounds), and an extra magazine.  (Incidentally, the freight to send to NY was $49.22, which amount was applied to the purchase of springs and magazine!  I like this company!)
I'll try all your suggestions!  Thanks so much!

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 03:34:28 AM »
Windsor, please pardon my mistake in my first post.  I mentioned the posibility of the small recoil spring binding on the larger one.  If the larger one is installed properly, that should not happen since the large recoil spring rides on a collar.  I meant to say, look to see if the small spring is binding on that collar.

When I was typing that post I was picturing in my mind other dual recoil systems such as Detonics and other small  autos.  My apologies.

Reinz

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 03:40:33 AM »
Windsor -  One other thing comes to mind since you already changed the mag springs.   Inspect your slide and frame rails closely for any signs of gauling.

I know we are talking about two different types of metal on metal here, but it can still happen under the right circumstances.
(maybe grasping at straws)

Reinz

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 11:15:32 AM »
Windsor:

Marvin's post at the following link may be of interest:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1167285337

Good luck on diagnosing your "pup's" ailment.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Windsor

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 06:31:45 PM »
No need for  apologies!
And the link is most useful!  I'll check for gauling.  Thanks so much!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 05:16:32 PM »
Hi Windsor from me :) - sorry it's late.

Check out my FAQ for some general reading on the pup - it is reasonably up to date altho I think I must check a few things to be sure.  The months drift by!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Windsor

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 07:00:16 PM »
Thanks!  and I like the faq page, in fact, I've bookmarked it a favorite and will peruse the whole thing eventually...