Author Topic: Someone asked for a size comp  (Read 12531 times)

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
Someone asked for a size comp
« on: July 28, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »
Someone asked me in another thread to repost the size comp pic I did of the Rohrbaugh R9s and the Seecamp LWS380. I cannot find where that was now (it might even have been on the Seecamp forum since my mind is slipping in my old age) but here it is..

I retook a pic of my rohrbaugh for a new comp pic but layed it the wrong way so I had to flip it but that does not change sizes.

"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know whose house you will be running to for protection."
[SIZE="1"]- My response to friends that laugh at me for collecting guns[/SIZE]

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
Re: Someone asked for a size comp
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 05:54:39 PM »
Wow that thing is tiny! :o

I'm still waiting for them to come out with a 9mm.

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 06:04:24 PM »
Wow that thing is tiny!  

I'm still waiting for them to come out with a 9mm.
The Seecamp is tiny.

I am not sure they ever would come out with a 9mm. They pretty much have perfected what they do owith the .32 and .380 and since Rohrbaugh seems to have pretty much perfected the similar style gun adapted for the larger 9mm round they would not be doing anything new. Unless they came out with a solid stainless 9mm Seecamp I would not see how they would compete with the already established and probably lighter R9s.

Larry Seecamp has already made his mark in the gunworld with his innovative designs that are shared with lots of modern pistols. i do not think he feels the need to one-up anyone. The R9s is pretty much the epitome of a small 9mm.
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know whose house you will be running to for protection."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 07:16:14 PM »
PP:

I had seen some of your magic with digital photography over on the Seecamp Forum.  Thank you for posting that size comparison here.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that Seecamp and Rohrbaugh represent state-of-the-art technology for CCW in their respective calibers.  I believe that so firmly that my wife's 24/7 pocket pistol is the LWS32 and mine is the R9.

Thanks again for that very helpful size-comparison of the two pistols.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 08:02:27 PM »
They have been talking about a Seecamp 9mm for a long time and I believe even had a prototype, but last I heard the project was on indefinate hold.

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »
I don't think I would shot a 9mm in anything smaller than an R9

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 11:05:46 PM »
Wait till next year when the R45 comes out !  :o :o
I can't wait! My hand hurts just thinking about it.
RECOIL BABY!!! YEAH!
Mark
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 12:58:24 AM »
Wait till next year when the R45 comes out !
I have a feeling I will be wanting one of those myself. Are there any images of them available yet?

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
According to Tom (Irish Guard) they will be a third larger than the R9. Unvieled at the 2008 Shot Show, and released Late Spring/Early Summer 08.
Tom is already taking deposits.
Mark
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline CNO53

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 08:16:10 PM »
According to Tom (Irish Guard) they will be a third larger than the R9. Unvieled at the 2008 Shot Show, and released Late Spring/Early Summer 08.
Tom is already taking deposits.
Mark

Wonder what a third larger would like in a PlayboyPenguin comparison photo?  Mr. Penguin any ideas?

Perception...Reality...?

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 08:49:48 PM »
Wonder what a third larger would like in a PlayboyPenguin comparison photo?  Mr. Penguin any ideas?
I kind of hate to speculate because you never know what design changes will take place prior to the production phase.

Since this is just in good fun I can do a pic based on what we have been told.

The method I am using is to take the R9s and increase it's height enough to change the slide to a standard height .45acp slide and the grip to the short 6 round grip frame. This increases overall height about 22%. I am then using the information that the gun will be about 1/3 larger to mean it will be 1/3 longer. This increases the gun length to 7". I am betting the gun will have a 3" barrel though that will make it more like 6.5" overall but I will go with the 7" for now.

Based on these numbers (assuming overall design stays the same) this might be how it compares to a standard R9s and the small ParaOrd SlimHawg .45cp pistol.

Remember this is only wild speculation and not based at all in reality or fact.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 11:33:56 PM »
I'll do some wild speculation of my own and bet it will be a 5+1 design and smaller than the representation above. I'm sure it will have the 3" barrel though.

I can't wait to hear more about it. It would be cool if it would take Colt Officer or Detonics sized mags and Government sized mags as well. (sticking out of the grip of course). Then it would make a great backup gun for a 1911, especially if it could fit in a pocket.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 11:35:30 PM by PsychoSword »

Offline CNO53

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 12:49:23 AM »
Obviously our speculation is all in fun. Just trying to get a visual and you produced an excellent one. I own a Kimber Ultra CDP II, my intension was to get an idea of how the R45 might compare in size. You covered that base with the SlimHawg photo. It seams that Rohrbaugh's philosophy is big caliber, small gun, with that in mind I suspect the R45 will be a touch smaller than the Defenders, Ultra Compacts and SlimHawg's. Will be interesting to see how much the R45 differs from our speculation, if any.

Had a marketing professor who's defines "Happiness" as
"The anticipation of the fulfillment of a desire".
Our speculation certainly equates to that definition.  

I don't know how you produce those photos but it's very cool!
Thank you very much, Your the best!
Neal

Perception...Reality...?

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 02:47:22 AM »
I modified the pic of what the R45 might look like. I took the advice of PsychoSword and shortened it to a length that would coincide with a 3" barrel and a 5+1 grip frame. I changed the comparison pics above also.

Here is the very speculative idea of what an R45 might possibly look like based on what little information we have at this point.

Offline Ah2BFlyn

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 10:01:43 AM »
Check out the site below, it's from Seecamp.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf