Author Topic: anyone have experiencewith light ammo?  (Read 7892 times)

Offline Wired

anyone have experiencewith light ammo?
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »
thinking of trying the 95 grain offerings from federal or magtech

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: anyone have experiencewith light ammo?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:01:06 PM »
I'm a supporter of only using what's been recommended by Rohrbaugh and here on the Forum.  Saves one's self a lot of grief.

Course, now some here think differently!  And that's OK!    :)  
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:03:10 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:12:37 PM »

Wired,
Why bother with it? If you try it let us know how it performs.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:18:08 PM »
There is a reason why, as chameleon, put it on another thread, why a certain ammo is not recommended.  I like to listen to proven results.

There again, just my thinking, and some others!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Wired

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
I am a supporter of experimenting
the lighter weight bulllet may be easier on the frame while gaining velocity.
Corbon makes a 95 gr round especially for the R9

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/119/products_id/4617

or perhaps Magtech

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=75464

or Winchester

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=75531

or Federal

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM457-1.html

so, any daring R9 owners try any?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »
Corbon did have some takers here on the Forum and it didn't perform and ended up sending the ammo back to Corbon.  Took them months to get a replacement.  Here is a link on the Corbon:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1232132269;start=0
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:39:58 PM by kjtrains »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 10:43:26 PM »
I don't have any of the lighter 9mms, if I did I would have to give them a try. inquiring minds want to know. ;D
  I don't think I would consider using it for a carry round, but see no reason to not try it. The Federal at $12.69 for 50 is a pretty reasonable price for practice ammo, and as stated may be easer on the pup.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 10:47:06 PM »
John has tried 7 different brands of ammo and all of them has performed well; so he is one of the daring ones.    ;D

Offline Chihuahua TN

• Denial, after all, is a powerful thing!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »
I am sitting on a few boxes of 95gr DPX, I have not come across any testing with the 95gr DPX, just the 80gr DPX. According to Mike Shovel at Cor-bon the 95gr were supposed the 80gr replacement...see kjtrains link.

My R9s has only been fed GD 115gr (with one failure from faulty primer...see my post) and been reliable up too 150rds. I prefer con-bon DPX loadings and their copper bullets. I think the slightly heavier 95gr are worth the testing. I'll let you know how they work out,
Mike

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »

I wonder about the recoil on the DPX at 1300 fps. but good luck.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Another daring soul!  And that's what make the world go around.  Everybody can't like or do the same thing.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 11:29:23 PM »
If nobody tried the new stuff we would never know if any of the new rounds are better in and better for our pups.  I say go for it, I will as long as things are not +P.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.  That's why Rohrbaugh and Seecamp recommend what to use; so it doesn't blow up in our face or hurt the gun.  We're not the experimental force to see what works and what doesn't.  

That being said, I have to say to each his own.  I also say it in the most earnest way.  Try it if you must.  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 01:28:54 AM »
If nobody tried the new stuff we would never know if any of the new rounds are better in and better for our pups.  I say go for it, I will as long as things are not +P.

Corey,
  I agree 100% the factory does not have time to try every brand of ammo that is or comes on the market.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 07:56:41 AM »
John.  To each his own.    :)