Author Topic: GLOCK bore question  (Read 3172 times)

Offline alfonso2501

GLOCK bore question
« on: June 08, 2005, 03:09:48 PM »
Hi everyone, I have a purely academic question! Would someone please explain the difference between the polygonal bore that the Glocks have as oppose to the standard lands-and-grooves barrel that most other pistols have? Do they both have their good & bad points, or is one hands down better then the other? I know this a funny place to ask this kind of question but I know some of you good folks should know.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Re: GLOCK bore question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 12:03:09 AM »
Match pistols generally have button rifled traditional lands and grooves. So they work fine.

Glocks, on the other hand were designed for military use. The Glock system is excellent as well. Glocks are less ammo sensitive but still provide excellent accuracy.  

The only negative with the Glock is that cast lead bullets shouldn't be used.

Offline alfonso2501

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 02:46:16 AM »
Thank you sir.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 11:16:42 PM »
If you are a Glock lover you may want to look under my post under (Rohrbaugh R9 and R9s Pistols --  " .... One Shot Stops").  It mentions the results of my brother being shot by his own Clock.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 11:17:38 PM »
I meant Glock - not Clock - darn figures.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline gr8guns

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 06:25:52 PM »
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=102104&page=5

Instead of individual grooves cut into the barrel, the bore almost looks twisted along the insides to give a very smooth looking rifling with no discernable beginning or end from land to groove. This deforms the bullet less allowing for greater accuracy.

Here is a rifled bore with a bullet fired from it:

Here is a polygonal bore and bullet:

Offline alfonso2501

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 11:30:00 PM »
Thanks gr8guns! Do any other guns, hand gun or rifle, have such a polygonal bore, or does Glock have the patent? MountainMan, I’m not much of a Glock fan, I just like to learn things.

Offline gr8guns

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 10:47:14 AM »
H&K uses polygonal bores.  
Pretty much any barrel made by forging is easier to make with polygonal bores.