Author Topic: R9 on GunBroker $755.  NO RESERVE.  SOLD $914  (Read 5524 times)

Offline Fx3

Re: R9 on GunBroker $755.  NO RESERVE.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 07:31:29 AM »
I agree, new grips would be the way to go.  I just wonder why one would "customize" the grips, go to the range to fire it 50 times and then decide to sell it because his wife does not like 9mm: all in two weeks.  It seems like one would customize the grips after deciding to keep it.  Thanks for sharing the owner's "epoxy solution".  As a new member this is all very curious to me.  

On a separate note, I took a friend's R9s Stealth to the range.  He wanted me to consider getting one.  We fired three clips of 124gr. Gold Dot (6 shots) and 124gr. Golden Saber (12 shots).  On the fourth clip, the slide did not want to manually "slide" binding up against the now warm barrel.  In less than one minute it moved freely again and we shot the fourth clip (6 shots of the Golden Saber).  Again, the slide bound up and in less than a minute moved freely again.  We stopped shooting the R9s at that point.  I doubt, in a defense situation, I would have more than one spare clip.  So, from that point of view, this is not an issue.  However, from the view of understanding how the close tolerances affect the gun's operation, is this something to be expected.  Are all R9s affected this way?  

P.S. We had one failure to fire out of 18 Golden Sabers.  It fired on the second strike.  Golden Sabers were ones we expected to be reliable.  Is this unusual?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 08:01:55 AM »
No not usual.  And on the binding up issue, let the R9 cool down after each mag preferably, but at least after the second one.  One member suggested waiting 15 miniutes and that cured his problem.  

On the price of the R9 that sold, that was a good price as John stated.  I stand corrected on the grips not needing to be replaced; and Fx3, I'm with you on not understanding why this individual customized the grips before deciding to keep it; strange, for sure!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fx3

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 08:16:24 AM »
Thanks, kjtrains, for your answers.  I am waiting on the arrival of my R9s Stealth and look forward to giving it a test drive.  I'll be mindful of letting it cool down after two mags.

On a"Rohrbaugh R9 Procedures", which pictured Karl Rohrbaugh taking down, lubricating and reassembling an R9, Karl used a "grease" and an "oil".  Now the instructions just say to use a high grade gun oil (for everything).  What is the latest thinking?  Is it better to use the "grease" and "oil"?  Is the "oil for everything" just as effective?

Offline Fx3

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 08:31:46 AM »
Correction, the "Rohrbaugh R9 Procedures" pictures Eric Rohrbaugh cleaning an R9s.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 08:37:54 AM »
Any quality gun oil will be just fine. I use Eezox and a film of breakfree CLP after the Eezox dries. I have never needed to let my mags or R9s cool down.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:39:33 AM by FloridaCCW »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 08:52:11 AM »
Any quality gun oil will be just fine. I use Eezox and a film of breakfree CLP after the Eezox dries. I have never needed to let my mags or R9s cool down.  

CCW.  I haven't had to let my mags cool down either, however, this is a suggestion for those who have had problems.  

I use the Eezox as well.  Good stuff!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 10:13:34 AM »
I also use the Eezox and am very pleased with the product.  
  I have fired 60 + rounds without waiting any longer between mags than reloading or looking at the target and never experienced any binding issues.
   As to the reason he customized and then sold it, maybe he needed funds and using the wife doesn't like it statement
felt better to him. ;D

John
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:19:34 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »
  As to the reason he customized and then sold it, maybe he needed funds and using the wife doesn't like it statement
felt better to him. ;D

John

Very well could be!    ;D

Offline kcub

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »
It bothers me when someone fixes something that wasn't broken.
I can't help but wonder what else they fixed that wasn't broken.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 01:41:18 PM »
I definitely can understand your concern.  Wondered the same thing.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 01:53:32 PM »
   There are plenty of members here that have made either minor or major investments to customize there pup to there individual taste, me being one of them. It's not that there was anything wrong with the stock gun, but there is no single pistol that is going to be deemed perfect by every owner.
  Even if it was perfect some would still want to make it "more perfect"  ;D ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »
What I wondered the most, was that he had it for two weeks and decided to sell.....I know, one can change their mind!    ;)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 11:07:02 PM »
 The one I just got was only a couple of weeks old, when I called the FFL doing the shipping to my FFL, he said I just got that for him a couple weeks ago.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2010, 04:52:14 PM »
I see the winner of this pup is one of our newest members kellyfromiowa. Congratulations on the pup and Welcome to the group.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2010, 05:24:27 PM »
kellyfrom iowa.  Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the win of the R9.