Author Topic: Should Rohrbaugh Forum be closed - I say NO!  (Read 11902 times)

Offline Rich3006

Should Rohrbaugh Forum be closed - I say NO!
« on: August 15, 2014, 01:13:04 PM »
I truly hope that the administrators of this site will continue to keep it up and running.  If the Rohrbaugh Firearms Company does not survive, this forum will become more important than ever to us Rohrbaugh owners as a source of information and support.  If the Rohrbaugh company does survive, this forum can continue to be the go to site for all things Rohrbaugh.

But whatever does happen, I would just like to let the folks who run this site know that I have appreciated their work through the years.  This site was a wonderful source of information for me when I was deciding to buy my pistol and was the first place I came to when I needed information or had questions about my gun.  This forum would be missed if it is shut down.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Should Rohrbaugh Forum be closed - I say NO!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »

It is an interesting question that I have been contemplating.  We will have to see if there are any products going forward that are "Rohrbaugh" branded products or bear any resemblence to our guns.  If Rohrbaugh becomes just a legacy product, the forum traffic will decline and our advertisers will disappear.  The question of whether it is worthwhile to keep the lights on will have to be addressed.

On the other hand, if Remington breathes new life into the Rohrbaugh name with a line of Rohrbaugh branded updated R-9 pistols -- then maybe the whole thing remains viable.   We will see.  Interesting times ahead, I am sure.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 09:45:28 PM »
Thank you Duane.  This is by far the least commercial and most congenial of the handgun forums that I review, and the only one that I visit frequently.  Should Rohrbaugh fade into the mist of times past, it will still be a legacy pistol...perhaps we could then move the forum forward to become a pocket pistol forum?  There is just too much talent and interest here to waste it. 

BTW I had a range trip last week...the old R9 performed flawlessly with Gold Dot 124, Lawman 124, and Lawman 115 (3 mags of each).  I also fired the Seacamp .32 in honor of the psychiatrist that fought off the killer in his office with one...as usual I fired high because I alway tilt it up to see the absent front sight...not a problem since I have learned to hold it low and don't plan to use it at greater than 20 feet anyway.  Both the R9 and the LWS seem to do better with rapid fire using the front sight only...I guess my age tremor and hyper personality don't go well with aimed fire, at least with short barreled handguns.

Regards to you and kudos for your work on this forum these many years.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:02:24 PM »
Rich,
Welcome to the forum, and great post.

I come here first thing when I turn my computer on, and would mourn the loss as well.
I follow several other forums, but this is the only one I ever participate in at all.
I agree that it is a very polite, friendly, and knowledgable group.

It may be that if the pup production were to cease, that the forum would become even more valuable to the thousands(?) of owners who would need to work together to keep 'em runnin'.
Maybe it could continue under some type of paid membership?

‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »

All possibilities...  No need to decide now.  We aren't going anywhere just yet.   :D

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:33:39 AM »
I agree with most of all that has been said previously. Duane has done a superb job in keeping this the most congenial, informative and fun firearm websites. Most of the contributors have also made this possible by giving when the had to, restraining themselves as necessary and just being good people. Hopefully if something does not go the way we all want it to the site could be morphed into a site that includes other firearms of similar purpose as was stated above. Pocket pistols, mouseguns, CCW weapons. One hopeful sign that I have found is that Para Firearms has applied I believe, would take some additional research, for the Rohrbaugh trademark. What this means I am not sure but it is something. Sorry I have not been more active of late my health has been......well it has been interesting and I have not been involved. I must say my three Pups are well and at least one of them is raring to go out and bark at the range, maybe soon. Anyway thanks again  Duane you are a very patient man and a true gentleman dealing with some difficult times.
Phil

Offline pjames32

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
Wow!
I joined this forum today and the first thing I read is this forum may be closed.
I'm late to the party. Living in Nowhere, NM I just discovered Rorhbaugh. I've been carrying a Ruger LCP 380. I feel under gunned, but don't want a holster gun for most of my carry. I'm not happy with the LCP. I thought I had found my next new gun :)
I'm sure I will learn a lot about Rohrbaugh in my next few hours of reading, but wanted to post. THIS FORUM HAS VALUE!
I understand the admin(s) getting tired of the bs and hours involved. You are to be commended. I have admined sites and it is a time consuming PITA. Hopefully someone will volunteer.
Thanks for letting me join the forum and speak my piece.
PJames32

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
PJames, welcome to the forum and thank you for your post.  We are hoping that Duane "can find the will to force his heart and nerve and sinue" to make this work for the future.  Please stay and contribute to our community.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:42:01 PM »

This has less to do with me and more to do with the future of any product resembling a Rohrbaugh.  PJames -- you have just joined our group during a very odd time.  If you read a bit, you will see what is going on.   Time will tell if there will continue to be a significant audience for Rohrbaugh pistols,or if there might be a "pivot" to some related topic.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »
Lots of priceless info here for the very best pocket auto on the planet...be a cryin shame if it followed the ship down... :-\

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 09:30:50 AM »
Well Michpatriot, speaking with Duane just the other day, all is looking bright here with the forum. I believe it will be around for some time to come.
So hold on, keep reading and enjoy your time here. We are just starting the next chapter of . . . . . . . The Rohrbaugh Forum.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 08:52:20 PM »

It is an interesting question that I have been contemplating.  We will have to see if there are any products going forward that are "Rohrbaugh" branded products or bear any resemblence to our guns.  If Rohrbaugh becomes just a legacy product, the forum traffic will decline and our advertisers will disappear.  The question of whether it is worthwhile to keep the lights on will have to be addressed.

On the other hand, if Remington breathes new life into the Rohrbaugh name with a line of Rohrbaugh branded updated R-9 pistols -- then maybe the whole thing remains viable.   We will see.  Interesting times ahead, I am sure.

This has less to do with me and more to do with the future of any product resembling a Rohrbaugh.  PJames -- you have just joined our group during a very odd time.  If you read a bit, you will see what is going on.   Time will tell if there will continue to be a significant audience for Rohrbaugh pistols,or if there might be a "pivot" to some related topic.

Duane,

I know this is an old topic, but I did notice that other day that an RM380 owner joined the forum - recognizing the Rohrbaugh roots of their recently acquired firearm.

Is there any merit in devoting a section of the forum to the Remington renditions of the Rohrbaugh design?  As I mentioned in a post the other day about the recent article in American Rifleman, I wasn't quite sure where to post it.  Perhaps as more people purchase the Remington versions they will end up here at some point.  Just a thought...

Thanks!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »
Hey Will. . . . . Just to let you and the troops here know. . . . . Remington finally sent Karl & I our early serial number RM380s. We both have shot our Remington versions and they are really actually pretty good for what they are. . . . a Rohrbaugh variant for around $349. Amazing!  I am very busy with my musical projects, however, I also want to write something up about the RM380 and I also have more early prototype items I'd like to share with everyone here in reference to the original R9 Pistols. More to come as I free up some time to take photographs, etc.

Stay safe guys..............

Regards,

Eric Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
   Been out of town since last Wednesday having my brain and old body rattled with our 4 grandkids.
    We had them for a week and I returned them Wed,staying down in the Milwaukee and Madison area.
     Got home about an hour ago and just now turned on my computer.This site I seem to gravitate to first,or close to it.I don't know why,just a nice forum,I guess.Sure beats checking my credit card purchases over the last week ,to make sure everything is kosher.
      I will have to read these last threads tonight.
     And I agree,it's a good forum---a rather peaceful forum.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 12:27:12 AM »
ECR,

Early prototype items like Coyote slide with adjustable sights?  Phil