Author Topic: Shotgun question  (Read 2790 times)

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
Shotgun question
« on: December 24, 2006, 03:43:07 AM »
about as "other gun" as you can get from a R9...

I just bought a Browning Gold Hunter shotgun as a birthday gift for myself, mostly for skeet/trap but perhaps for some hunting as well.  I bought it used for what seems like a great price ($450) but it didn't come with a box or any accessories... just the gun.

As I'm packing to go away for a short trip, where I will be shooting some skeet with my nephews, I realized I don't have any kind of a travel case for the shotgun.  I went online, and many of the travel cases I find cost nearly as much as the gun itself.  I see plenty that are in the two to three hundred doalr range, and I have to say that for that price, I'd rather buy a new gun than a gun case.

If you folks travel with a shotgun, how do you do it?  I'm just driving, not taking a plane, so I don't need to meet any airline regs, and for this trip I will just keep the gun in a $6 gun sock.  Still, I don't like the idea of luggage sitting on the barrel or the gun getting wedged under something heavy, and I would like a secure case for it.  I just don't want to spend more than $200 on a case.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Shotgun question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 06:23:54 AM »
Doug,

I bought a durable "plastic" case at Cabela's, and it worked just fine.  They are inexpensive.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?QueryText=shotgun+case&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=shotgun+case&noImage=0

If you have a big gun store nearby, they should have one.  I would expect to find something under twenty dollars.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 07:31:40 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 08:36:31 AM »
Bill's suggestion is a good one.  If you are interested in a case solely for transport by automobile, another option might be one of the rifle/shotgun cases from BAGMASTER.  One of these has served me well for several years:  

http://www.bagmaster.com/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 08:07:01 PM »
Can`t go wrong with a Pelican case. www.pelican.com
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 10:28:52 PM by ROKTMAN »

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 08:31:06 PM »
The Pelican case certainly looks nice, but their "weapons case" costs over $300.  That is definitely out of my price range.  Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and be able to put my guns in nicer cases, and put nicer guns in my nicer cases as well.

;D

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 05:53:11 PM »
You can find pelican cases for about $200 -- at least, I did last year.  I think it was BHP video, or something like that.  If you want, I'll dig it up.  However, I only use my pelican case for airport trips -- much too heavy for use in a car that I'm driving.  I just use desko cases in the car, but I don't put anything on top of the guns.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.