Author Topic: Other Carries  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
Other Carries
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »
The R9 has quickly taken over as my EDC.
But, somedays a man just needs to take a walk with his wheelguns.  The special occasion today was the need for a new wheelgun to have some sighting in.  A Circuit Judge carbine and a few boxes of .45 Colt had arrived at casa de Relic.

Todays carries were an original series S&W Model 66 (no dash) with tritium sights and Hogue monogrips riding in a Ross natural leather paddle.  The BUG was another Smith (of course), a J-framed Model 438, with CT lasergrips riding in my offhand pocket in a Nemesis.

We ran a few errands and picked up some food, drinks and ammo for the Rossi then headed off to the farm.  To sight in, I places a few "shoot and see" target at 25 yards and setup rested on an old wodden bench.  I checked to ensure the thread protector choke was installed then took aim.  The first round hit about 2" high and centered, putting a nice big hole in the target.  Well, ok then, I can live with that...no adjustments needed.  Round two went down range and slightly enlarged the first hole.  Hmmm, lucky shooting I guess.  Round three just nipped the holes of the first two.  Really?  I wasn't expecting that.

Four and five left the little carbine and met the others, leaving a single ragged hole a little over 1" across.  25 yards isn't much of a challenge for the tiny little Rossi/Taurus carbine, apparently.  So I decided to switch chokes to the straight rifled one and try some .410.  I fired a couple of patterns with #6 shot and was very satisfied with the coverage although I could see there was definately more spread that my full choked .410.  The shot pattern was a couple inches lower than the .45 Colt hit, but that was an easy Kentucky windage adjustment, I didn't bother to adjust the factory sighting as we set up the clay thrower to see how the sub-five-pound carbine swings.

Rather than bore you with a clay-by-clay. ;)  I'll say that between the four of us shooting we missed 4 clays out of 46.  The carbine handled well as a shotty.

But what would one use it for?  To be honest it needs more choke to reach out past 25-30 yards with shot, but that's plenty of range for squirrel or rabbit where we hunt here in SW Ohio.  A few 45 LC shells in your pocket could take out a 'yote, groundhog, or even a small hog (haven't seen one here yet, but they're in the counties around us),  if one popped up.  But you'd have to change out the choke, which takes a minute.

I'll take it over to our 100yard range and let you know how it shoots at that range with the .45 ammo.  Drop is going to be severe, I'd expect 5-6" or so. But that's based on hangun charts, the longer barrel should help a bit.

I'm going to give it a try this season on small game.  It's shorter and about the same weight as my well-used antique single shot .410, but the full choke on that old gun is an advantage.  We'll see how the Rossi(Taurus) compares.

Fun day with the wheelguns, for sure.
Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Other Carries
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »
Sounds like a fun day of shooting. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »
Great day at the farm, Relic.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »
Relic,
 Sounds like a great day at the range. That beats a fantastic day at work any day. Thanks for the post it was fun to read. My neighbor showed me his C/J a couple of weeks ago. I'll have to ask him for a try.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
Always fun trying a new one, and it sounds like you succeeded.   :D
Thanks for sharing.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline TBI

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:13:53 PM »
Ah the good old days.......fun shooting on a home made range...beats any club that I know of.. Glad someone can still have some good old fashion fun!!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »
It is fun.  Just step out the door, go about a 100 ft and fire whatever you have with you; even the big stuff.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln