Author Topic: My handguns  (Read 32643 times)

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
Re: My handguns
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 02:19:16 PM »
Thanks gentlemen.  I did indeed succumb to temptation, but the price made it easier to do so.  I didn't do as well on the price with this one as the last one, bought the 2 in model from a friend's father for $500, but still better than I thought I would do.  It has some wear marks on the end of the barrel and the cylinder so I got him to reduce the price a little more after our initial bit of haggling.  I think he just wanted to make a sale.  Anyway, I just need to get the 6 in and 3 in and I'll be all set.  

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 10:13:19 PM »
Well the family grows.  Not only did I finally pick up my other P7M8 from layaway we bought my wife a smith model 60.  She is going to use it in a women's only handgun defense class this saturday.  I am picking the CT grips for it on Thursday, though those grips are so pretty it will be tough to change them out.

Model 60

another

Pair of P7s

Richard they are calling you.  Listen. . . Did you hear it? ;D

Comparison

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2006, 11:05:35 PM »
Roc' - oh my that is NICE.  I am a sucker for Smith wheelies!!!

I know the grips are pretty but I sure would not like the feel of them too much - just me.  Get the CT's - they'll be an excellent addition.

As for the P7's - well - that is just downright indulgence LOL! ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 05:33:21 PM »
Recently I received a S&W Model 37 as a gift from my wife.  Not sure why I like it - maybe because I had a M36 years ago - maybe because I grew up when on TV all the detectives used snub noses and no autos - maybe I just like to shoot something that is easy to clean.
Oh Well
Dave

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 06:30:51 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 05:43:30 PM »
Dave, nice wheel gun, I understand, it was there and called to you. ;D
 ::)Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2006, 05:52:26 PM »
Haven't shot it yet Tom - feels good to hold - grew up with wheel guns.   Many Many Many nice hours in the woods and fields with my Ruger 22 revolver and the dog of the day - first Sam, then Quincy, then Jesse - boy I miss them.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 09:51:42 PM »
Dave, the service dog trainer just picked up a white standard like Spencer from the pound to start training him for service work.
Tom

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2006, 10:45:50 PM »
Tom - interesting - you don't think of a dog that can cost $1000 as a puppy being in the pound.  They are very smart and if not controlled will try and dominate the house.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2006, 12:33:54 AM »
Dave - not too long ago my dear son decided it was time to carry.  I have never pressed him on it tho always wanted him too of course.  Heck he's near 29 - in 2 days in fact!

I think now because he has one little one and another on the way - he sees even more point.  He actually traded in his still very new GP-100 which was a shame but got a 37 like you have there.

I gave him some range time and was able to let him have a spare pancake rig I had.  He gets on with it very well indeed - I quite like it too.  Let him have a spare Comp I loader too so he is reasonably set up now.

I always have a spot for snubs even tho no longer carry one much.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2006, 08:46:39 AM »
There is something about wheel guns that the autos just don't capture for me.  Love them both, but the revolvers have been ruling the gun fund lately.  My next purchase is also going for a revolver.  This time in .41 Magnum.  I just need to decide if I want a S&W model 57 or Ruger Black Hawk or Super Black Hawk.  There is a special edition Davidsons SBH with Bisley grips that I would like to check out.  So, hopefully the next gun show up in Lakeland will provide me with an example of each and then I can decide.  
Nice snub nose Dave.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2006, 09:35:20 AM »
Dave, that was the problem with the white poople, the owners couldn't control him and let him go.   SAD :-[
Tom

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2006, 10:24:00 PM »
Chris - sounds like it is working well with your son - that is great - can't see the model 37 replacing my R9 or Seecamp - but I do like it.

Roc - you are correct there is something about a wheel gun thats gets into your blood.

Tom - at least the poodle reject gets a second chance on making a difference in someone's life, and its own, and that is good.

Think I'll go and play with my new 37.

Even though I got the S&W 37 from dealer new stock I'm not sure when it was made or if S&W still makes it without the internal lock -anyone know.
Also - is there anyway to tell what year it was made from the bar code or something.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 10:32:59 PM by MountainMan »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2006, 01:01:59 PM »
Pair of P7s

Richard they are calling you.  Listen. . . Did you hear it? ;D

I hear them.  Lord knows, I hear them.   :-/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 01:03:32 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
Re: revolvers
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2006, 12:25:29 AM »
do you think it's in part the simplicity & reliability of the revolver that recommends it.  i think when i wear my 640 that i actually feel a little calmer about the prospect of having to use it.  maybe just because i learned with a similar animal.  i have a (pretty big) number of auto feeders, and with some of my pets i have literally never had a failure to fire . . .

but i still feel surer when i strap on the 6 shooter.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2006, 01:17:29 PM »
I feel the same way.  I've never had a problem w. my R9, and after a couple thousand rounds, not one hiccup w. my 1911 -- but I feel better w. my SP101 -- possibly because it feels so good in my hand.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.