Author Topic: My handguns  (Read 33155 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: My handguns
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2006, 06:14:05 PM »
Tom

My wife had a foot operation last November, and since has had to sleep most nights on the recliner to keep her foot from swelling.  Well this Wednesday the same foot needs reoperated on - which we both are very unhappy about - another several months on the recliner during the healing process.  

So on those lonely nights in bed I may keep the R9 under my wife's empty pillow.  And I have to admitt - as Chris said - to some R9 "fondling".
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2006, 06:50:37 PM »
Shucks Dave - that foot deal is or must be miserable - all way back to November too.  So now Nancy has to endure more of the same!!  Sheesh - how grim.

My dear son has had recurrent problems with his big toe on one foot - surgery twice in two years - and damn thing still playing up again.  Feet can be so easily taken for granted - when there are problems, we sure know about it.

Wishes from here anyways that any further surgery will do the trick and deal with her troubles.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2006, 07:16:49 PM »
Dave and Chris, Without walking my feet have swelling problems also, I use a great foot vibrator that I can feel all the way to my knees and keep my feet up as well.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2006, 10:15:50 PM »
Tom

Everything is relative - it is something how, as Chris said, we take some things for granted.  I'm sure you would readily go through foot surgeries if that would help you to walk.

Chris or anyone:
Ammo question for my new S&W model 60
I know that you are able to shot .38 ammo (regular and +P) in a .357 but I have never done so, even though I have owned a Dan Wesson .357 for many years.  

If I decided to shot  .38 ammo in my new S&W .357 model 60 is there any downside in doing so?  I know that you can get a carbon buildup in the cylinders that would require cleaning before loading .357 ammo.   Any other downside?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:19:09 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2006, 10:24:04 PM »
AFAIK Dave you have snagged the only real downside.  I have shot 1,000's of rounds of target 38's over the years - mostly for comp use (PPC etc) - and they shoot just great.

If tho the crud ring is periodically dealt with then 357's should chamber just fine.  One thing in a SS revo - you can with some judicious careful use, use a stainless bristle brush with stubborn rings.

Preferably tho - use the phos/bronze brush and #9 for example but - chuck it in a cordless drill - run that at medium rev's while ''in-and-outing'' for each chamber - usually does a quick and easy job!

Oh and - only other downside - well it applies to whatever you put thru - is leading if you use any cast bullets - forcing cone build up does need dealt with as well as bore.  Plus chamber throats too.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2006, 10:59:08 PM »
Thanks Chris

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2006, 10:23:09 AM »
Dave, let us know how your sweet wife is doing.
Tom

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2006, 11:08:01 AM »
Dave:

Your wife has our sincere best wishes for complete success and rapid healing from her foot surgery.  (Bearing in mind your elegant gift to her for Christmas, an elegant gold or silver and ebony walking stick might bring a smile to her face during the healing process -- http://www.canesgalore.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Silver__Gold__Alpacca_and_Formal_Canes_45.html   )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 11:10:34 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2006, 11:18:23 AM »
Richard, that is a great idea, right Dave?
Tom

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »
Dave,

I hope your wife has a rapid recovery, too.

The walking sticks shown by Richard look very nice, indeed.

Bill

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2006, 08:42:07 PM »
Thanks guys for the good wishes for Nancy's foot surgery tomorrow.

She plans to go back to work next Monday, which isn't easy traveling to the city on the bus with crutches.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 08:44:42 PM by MountainMan »

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2006, 09:37:33 AM »
Foot surgery is a big pain in the . . . er . . . foot  ;D.  I dated a girl that had surgery on both feet for bunyons and I ended up carrying her around, car to house, etc, because it would take her too long to maneuver on two sore feet.  

Here is wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

As far as .38s in a .357, I shoot far more .38s due to price and punishment.  The price is much cheaper for a box of .38s and the punishment of shooting .357 in a snub nose can be brutal.  I once shot 50 rounds of .357 almost as fast as I could load and shoot for a handgun class I took and my hand was swollen the next day.  I have yet to shoot the wife's model 60 with .357s, but the .38 +p were pleasant.

I agree with you Chris, the "zit" on the new S&W wheelies are a definite blemish.  

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2006, 10:36:51 PM »
Foot surgery went well so far - of course that was what I thought the first time.

Roc - seems like you didn't marry the girl you carried around :)

If you shoot your wife's model 60 with .357 let me know what you think.  It will be awhile before I get around to it with other things happening.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2006, 09:31:26 AM »
Foot surgery went well so far - of course that was what I thought the first time.  Glad to hear that.

Roc - seems like you didn't marry the girl you carried around :)
Nope, but no regrets
If you shoot your wife's model 60 with .357 let me know what you think.  It will be awhile before I get around to it with other things happening.
I picked up a box of .357 mag the other night with that intention.  Actually I want to shoot it side by side with my friend's SP101 to see if there is any perceivable difference.  We shot the 60 and SP101 last weekend with .38 and .38 +p and couldn't feel much difference in recoil and didn't see any difference in accuracy or trigger pull for that matter.  That surprised me because I always remembered thinking the the action on the smith was like butter compared to a Ruger.  Of course that was ten or so years ago, wow I haven't shot or picked up a smith revolver in ten years?!, so who knows what improvements Ruger or shortcuts Smith has made since then.  I do prefer the cylinder release on the Ruger, but all in all I would take either one. Both nice guns.  I'll let you know about the .357.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2006, 09:36:48 PM »
Well, I shot the Model 60 with .357 loads for the first time.  That was fun.  Big bang, big kick, nice fireball, everyone in the range going, what the hell was that?! :D.  One word of advice though, if your wedding ring isn't smooth (mine has a braided rope thing running down the center that likes to grab whiskers) take it off before shooting with the .357.  I skinned my pinkey after three cylinders full.  Lot of fun though.  

So, I took that training class last weekend and had a blast, but my grip on the Glock had a tendecy to eject the spent round but fail to strip off another from the magazine.  This resulted in the gun going click several times during the two day session.  This hadn't ever happened before, but I hadn't taken a class with that particular gun before either.  So, instead of changing my grip, which would probably have been smarter and cheaper, I use the tax return to get a Sig.  I just need to get some leather for it and run another couple hundred rounds through it before I commit.  Then it will accompany me to the Advanced handgun class this May.  

With the larger frame surface between the trigger and slide my thumb won't prevent the slide from recoiling the entire length and stripping the next round from the mag.  At least that is the theory.  Only time will tell whether I go to the Sig full time or adjust my grip for the Glock (since I just might miss the glock too much to leave it behind).  

We also picked up a PPK for my wife who decided she would like to have an auto, and even though she did like the kahr the PPK won out on the looks category.  Here it is with my other small autos;

And just for grins and giggles another family shot, with order of purchase going from top left down, next row down,etc.