Author Topic: The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick"  (Read 31857 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick&
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2005, 02:10:38 AM »
Eric

By lurking here for awhile you already know that this is a great group here.

Tom is wonderful  to deal with.  Send RJ a private message on the stop stick.

Welcome and enjoy the ride.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline eblackhawk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2005, 10:33:55 AM »
MountainMan,
       Yep, RJ has already contacted me and a check to him for a brass "Stop Stick" will be on its way tomorrow Morning!
        Thanks!     Eric

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2005, 12:05:36 PM »
OK Eric, what are the Blackhawks going to do this year. Are the Chicago fans back?
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline eblackhawk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2005, 12:38:06 PM »
Tom,
     My internet name doesn't come from hockey ( I grew up in NYC and although I am not a big sports fan, my loyalties lie with the Rangers) but rather my nickname as a kid based upon my love of comics (Quality comics and later DC comic-The Blackhawks) and the similarity of my last name to that title.  So classmates that knew me in high school still refer to me by that name.  
                                   Eric

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2005, 01:16:48 PM »
thanks Eric, I'll keep you posted on the R9.    Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2005, 08:42:48 AM »
Eric:

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on your choice of a new "Pocket Rocket."  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Iorndealer

« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »
RJ,

Went to your website to try to order some leather.  I sent you an email contact but I just realized that I would also need an aluminum "chop stick"  should I look for a PM?
"Keep it Safe, Keep it Secret"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2005, 06:17:43 PM »
I must have missed something here.  Please start from the beginning..  

My E Mail is :   rhedley@tampabay.rr.com
RJ=

Offline HiCap

« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2005, 08:40:04 PM »
I have taken my 9s appart three times now in 200 rounds.  This is my issue.  I have tried a wooden chopstick to see if it worked before ordering a metal one.  It did but not without a lot of fiddling.  In order to insert it I put it on the bench sticking out at 90 degrees and weighted it down with a hammer.  That was my third hand.  Reversing the proceedure was moer difficult, especially with Slide-Glide on the fingers.  I had trouble getting the pin past the kidney shaped hole in the barel lug.  Totally frustrating for such a nice pistol.

What is needed, I think, is a device that one can push down barrel first until the pin lines up and then push it out, a two handed operation.

I would suggest an aluminum extrusion in a "T" cross section, about 1/2" high and thin enough to allow the barel and spring guide rod to clear it when the pistol is pressed down on it enough to allow the pin to clear.

Thus:    _I_     and about 2" long.

Any thoughts?

HiCap

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2005, 10:38:21 PM »
HiCap - I know the pup is awkward but, and maybe I still have reasonable hand strength - it does improve with practice.

I use the tapered end of std chopstick  and manage to briefly hold everything open enough with one hand to insert chopstick quickly - then withdrawing it in small increments until pin and hole lined up.

I do admit reassembly is probably where most difficulties occur but again - it does (IMO) get better with familiarity.

Do go check RJ's ''Third Hand'' which he posted here ages ago and which I have on the FAQ site.

A small vice is invaluable and may be good for you.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2005, 11:16:06 PM »
HiCap,
I've found the easiest way to insert the Stop Stick is to hold it in my teeth.  You just have to hope nobody sees you doing it....sorta The Secret Rohrbaugh Forum Handshake.  ;D

Offline HiCap

« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2005, 09:58:31 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I have been leery of this pistol as being too good to be true.  I had in the back of my mind that it was delicate.  The more I use it the more I realize it's as reliable as a J frame.  I've about 200 rounds through it adn contrary to the PM9, it doesn't need to be broken in.  I have had zero problems.  Lock it in and aim the forearm and 7 shots go as quickly as I can pull the trigger in the proper ring of a B 29 at five yards.  But boy-oh-boy it takes skill to take appart and put together.

HiCap the learner

Offline HiCap

« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2005, 10:11:19 AM »
R9SCarry, the vice is on its way.  Friends say I have enough vices, but it's OK to add one more.  Thanks.

HiCap

Offline Chuck_S

« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2005, 07:35:07 AM »
Anyone know of a way to put a dished depression in the ends, or at least one end of the pin?  Like the head of the mainspring housing pin on a M1911?  

The barrel link pin on my week old R9S has to be driven out -- and back in.  I'm afraid the back-in part will result in even a soft punch slipping off the flat head and marring the pistol's finish.

-- Chuck

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2005, 09:48:06 AM »
Chuck:

RJ or one of the other engineer types around here would know best, but it would seem to me that you might be able to secure the pin in a vice and then grind a dished depression in the end using a cone-shaped Dremel bit.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"