Author Topic: Headley New Style LE Holster  (Read 7334 times)

Offline rbonin

Headley New Style LE Holster
« on: February 18, 2005, 04:12:23 PM »
I read some of the older posts regarding the Headley New Style Limited Edition Holster for the R9.  This looks to be a remarkable holster.  The prototype tested was supposedly 5 inches in width.  This seems a little too wide to me.  Is this the width of the currently produced holster?  For those of you who are using this holster, I would appreciate your comments regarding pocket fit, holster size, etc.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Headley New Style LE Holster
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 05:27:04 PM »
Not many of these out there, so I guess I should take this and reply.

The holster you saw was a prototype and I never got beyond that.  It was 5" wide, and it is a little wide, the one I carry is 4 1/4" wide, which is about right.   But it can be more, or less, I leave that to the user to decide..

The holster is still in the hands of my "field tester",   maybe he will chime in soon...

It is a very comfortable holster..
RJ=

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 01:21:31 AM »
From my point of view, the Rohrbaugh is the largest gun that I would classify as a true pocket pistol.

For those who know me, they know I'm a big, big fan of rear pocket carry. The Rohrbaugh fits in all of my slacks, but in some slacks, it would not conceal as well as either my Guardian 380.

So far, I've been toting my Rohrbaugh either on the ankle, or on my belt.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 01:33:26 AM »
Oh, by the way, I like RJ's new design.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 04:38:27 PM »
I have the honor of being that "Field Tester" RJ mentioned for the New Style LE Holster.  The prototype in my pocket is 5" wide, which I find to be just right for my purposes.  This is a superb design which I highly recommend.

(By the way, RJ, I have treated the prototype with great care.  I shall be returning it soon for monogramming or a monogrammed replacement.)

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 04:39:30 PM »
George, The ankle seems real slow and hard to get to unless you drop to the ground.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 04:43:01 PM »
Ankles are a great place for small, lightweight backup guns, but a terrible place for primary weapons.  I'm also not sure I would want a gun with tolerances as tight as the Rohrbaugh that close to the ground.

George, why not try carrying the Rohrbaugh in a front pocket?  I have used this mode of carry for guns as large as a Glock 26 (although a gun that big will quickly wear holes in pants).
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 04:49:09 PM »
Bill, I have a cop friend that carrys his main gun on his duty belt as usual and a Glock in his front pocket on the left side. No body notices it at all.  Just a thought.  Tom

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 07:53:59 PM »
Hi Bill:

I usually have a G32 or Seecamp in my front pocket. I carry the Rohrbaugh in an ankle holster when my primary is my Glock 36.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 03:01:20 PM »
George, What no knives???!!!!  Tom

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 08:24:06 PM »
I always have a "push knife" made by Mickey Yurco with me. So yes, I carry knives as well.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 08:35:05 PM »
George, It sounds like you have a full understanding of the modern day Ronin!!!!    Tom

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 10:55:37 AM »
rbonin,

This is my first time using pocket carry and I love it.  Initially, I had the same concerns you have about the holster width.  I'm narrrow waisted and usually wear the lower cut Lee jeans.  It seemed strange to me that pockets are roughly the same size regardless of the size of the jeans.

I had this same conversation with Matt Del Fatti when I bought one of his pocket holsters, which, at it's widest point, is about 5.5 inches.  Even at that width, it is very comfortable and nearly invisible.

From my limited experience, it is best to have a holster that takes up most or all of your front pocket.  This offers the following benefits:

1)  The gun stays in the same position consistently and doesn't "fish around" so you know exactly how it is oriented.
2)  The holster stays put when you draw the gun from it.
3)  You won't be tempted to drop change or other odds and ends in there with the gun.

Hope this helps.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 12:06:09 PM »
Wayne,

I agree with what you are saying -- but you forgot the number one reason to use a pocket holster -- to protect the trigger!  To me a holster is not a holster if it doesnt cover the trigger.

I agree that absolute NOTHING should go in the pocket with the gun (and holster).

Another, less important but still important reason, is to protect the finish of the gun.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 12:32:11 PM »
Duane  - Good catch!

You are absolutely correct, and it is my opinion as well that anyone carrying any type of gun without trigger protection is just asking for trouble.

Given the small size of the R9, it is easy to fall into the trap of becoming enamored with how concealable it is.  Being concealed isn't enough, it must be concealed safely.

The benefits I mentioned were intened to be specific to the larger size of the pocket holster, rather than the pocket holster itself.  Sorry if this caused any confusion.