Author Topic: Breaking In Pocket Holsters  (Read 3688 times)

Offline rtw

• Expert
Breaking In Pocket Holsters
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:40:10 AM »
I've unfortunately been too sick to take my new R9S to the range. I've had to appease myself by carrying it in a leather pocket holster in my right front jeans pocket while moving around the house.

The holster is new and fits snugly-so snugly that I can not draw the R9s out of my pocket one handed-the holster comes with it.

Is this normal? How do I break the holster in?

Thanks.

Dick
Welcome home

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Breaking In Pocket Holsters
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 02:14:27 PM »
Dick,

In my opinion, pocket holsters don't need a lot of retention.  Sounds like your holster may be too tight.

Carrying the gun in the holster and working it in and out (unloaded, for safety) will help.  If you want to expedite the process, you can wrap a layer of plastic around the gun (plastic shopping bag, Saran wrap, etc.), put it in the holster, and let it sit overnight.  If that does not loosen it enough, use two layers of plastic and repeat.  This will stretch the holster every so slightly.

If that does not work, there are other methods that are more aggressive -- but I would recommend checking with the holster's manufacturer before doing anything else.

FYI -- there are few leather holsters I have purchased that were not a little tight on initial use.  This is not a sign of poor craftsmanship in any respect -- just a fact of life.

Also, you way want to practice your drawstroke as well.  There are tricks to pushing off the holster with you thumb or ring finger (depending on the holster type) on the draw, and ways to catch the holster on the bottom of your pocket on the draw -- all to facilitate the separation of the gun from the holster.

Good luck!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 08:00:53 PM »
If it is one of mine, see the bottom of this page http://www.hedleyholsters.com/howto.html

Remember the leather strip, or did you lose it?
RJ=

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 10:09:41 PM »
Thanks RJ. I didn't see the leather strip in the box. I have some strips of leather that I can use.
Welcome home

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 10:17:02 PM »
RJ, Way to go! Just the right answer for the fit problem.    Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 11:15:43 PM »
The strip of leather tip is great. Thank's RJ.