Author Topic: R9S holster in kydex?  (Read 3675 times)

Offline jarcher

• Master
R9S holster in kydex?
« on: March 08, 2005, 04:30:40 PM »
Hi All...

Is anyone making a kydex pocket holster for the R9s?  I just called Fist Inc and they don't  :(

Offline Wayne

• Expert
Re: R9S holster in kydex?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 09:10:10 PM »
I found this information using the Search function at the top of the page:  David Brown Holsters

David Brown is a member of this forum, but hasn't posted in a while.  You can PM him directly and see if he is up and running with the R9.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 11:48:24 PM »
Dave Brown is a friend I made through the forum.  I visited him and his shop out in Tucson when I was there on business.  He is a very nice guy and a real holster-making talent!

His website is: www.buybrownholsters.com

Please tell him you heard about him here!  ;D  I know he was actively trying to get an R-9 holster making mold -- not sure if he has been successful yet, but worth the try.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 01:58:16 AM »
Well, I didn't see the R9 listed on his web site, so I sent him a note asking.  He replied a few minutes ago. Here is his note:

Hi Jim
No & it does not look like I ever will; Rohrbaugh will not send me a dummy
gun sorry.
Thank You

Is there anyone else?

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 06:22:29 PM »
Duncan
Bay City , MI   48706

tel  517/894-6691

Duncan makes the aluminum dummy guns
RJ=

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 05:50:09 PM »
kydex is interesting stuff to work with.  Why not try making one yourself.  Kydex by the sheet (12" x 12") costs about $5.00 and is available at many knife-making supply houses (e.g. Jantz) as are the rivets required.  Instructions for how to mold it are available on the 'net (google it).  Essentially, you just cut squares or rectangles to the approximate (over)size you'll need using a boxcutter, then heat in a 385 degree oven for about 3 minutes.  This makes it pliable.  Then you just press it around whatever you're making a holster or sheath for (tricky, 'cause it's hot).  It stiffens up quickly in the molded shape.  You rivet the two pieces together, do final shape and finish on a grinder or with a file, polish the edges, and you're done.  I don't know if the carbon fiber grips would be adversely affected by brief contact with 385 degree heat; my guess is that it would not.  Anyway, it's an interesting way to spend a couple of hours.