Author Topic: Closest 9mm to the size of R9  (Read 7896 times)

Offline rod m1

Closest 9mm to the size of R9
« on: January 24, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »
What alternative do we have in a 9mm that compares to the size of the R9?

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Closest 9mm to the size of R9
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 05:37:58 PM »
Nothing.

A DiamondBack is probably the closest thing, but in a different league.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 06:49:48 PM »
I think that I am over the size thing. If one of us has to use our firearm ever, the fact that it was a nice and compact 9mm means nothing. What is most important is will it fire reliably in total, will it penetrate properly with the correct and accurate placement, and will 6-7 shots be enough? I don't care any more about what is most comfortable, the smallest, the lightest, and the one with the smallest print. I now care about reliability, capacity, and accurate stopping power. I don't want to have to carry an extra magazine with me at all times. I want to carry a firearm with the capacity of 16-18 bullets. I just bought a FNS 9mm Compact. The recoil is almost non existent. The accuracy is incredible, and it holds 17+1. Reliability? No one can knock FNH, FNS. Customer service? Tough to find an unhappy camper in that camp...they don't break down. I hate to say it, but I've decided not to place the well being of the people I love most, and myself, and even strangers in my Rohrbaugh any longer. Have my Rohrbaughs ever let me down? No, never. But up to this point, I think that I am ahead of the game and it might be time to make a switch. I love Rohrbaughs, Alfa Romeos, and Jaguars...but I'm not going to depend on them any longer to make sure I arrive home safely.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 07:08:31 PM »

Where and how do you carry it?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 08:56:48 PM »
The solo, 938, and Kahr 9's are all close, but no cigar.

All of the plastic pocket pistols don't do anything for me, but may be closer. I think some of them are even good guns I'm just not into them. I guess the Kahr is in the same category as a plastic pocket pistol, but the excellent trigger and their abilitity to make a quality piece kinda separates them for me.

When my first R9 broke it left me looking for its replacement. I never found it until I bought another R9 (thanks again Norm).

The sig 938 isn't going in my pocket condition 1 as a first choice.

The closest thing do me was the Kahr 380. It struggled with some reliability issues. Not my favorite for that reason, but really like the pistol otherwise. Perhaps if you had a more reliable one it would be a great pocket option with today's hot .380 loads.

I also purchased a solo on MRC's recommendation. This is the biggest small gun out there in my opinion. It is small and only slightly larger than the R9, but the sites, reliability, handling characteristics, +p capability, night site and laser availability, accuracy and all backed by Kimber's service dept was a compelling success for me. If I had to start selling my guns for some weird reason it would be one of my very last ones to go. It's a little beast. Oh, and with that killer milt sparks sharkskin holster I just picked up from coyote it actually rides kinda pretty decent in the front pocket better than ever before. It really supports the pistol differently than the other 6-8 pocket holsters I own.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7312.0

As for carrying a full sized service pistol ALL OF THE TIME, I don't think I could pull it off. Pistols of that nature get heavy. Sometimes I don't feels like I'm going into a code red threat scenario and I've got a shirt tucked in etc. Nice place for a pocket, ankle, belly band carry for ME IMO. I actually IWB carry 90% of the waking hours. As for the other 10% I do something else, but I TRY to carry at all times (night stand works for me. I haven't used the belly band or ankle holster with undies YET. Lol) but to each their own. Maybe your threat level is higher than mine. Heavily armed for me is a Glock 27, Glock 36 (no spare Glock mags in the pocket for me) or the sig 239 with a spare mag in the front pocket. I've gone back and forth so much though that I couldn't think of accusing someone who carries a full size pistol of being a bit over the top. It's whatever you feel like you need to carry to keep your people safe.

Good luck. I'll look forward to hearing how your decision making process goes rod m1.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:10:52 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 11:13:49 PM »
Where and how do you carry it?

I carry it in an IWB (Galco N3 holster) at the 3:30 position. At times I forget I even have a gun on me...it is that comfortable. I also carry a Sig Ultra Two tone .45, and just picked up a beautiful Kimber Ultra CDP ll .45 ( Thanks Phil). These guns are nothing to carry in a  IWB Holster, and a powerhouse to shoot. As for threat levels...I don't believe that there is such a thing. A prominent Boston Surgeon just got shot and killed by a patient...what was his threat level? One needs to be 110% prepared all the time for the unexpected. Shit does happen.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:18:02 PM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 11:41:55 PM »
That's an interesting point.

I don't think I will likely take the spare tire off of my vehicle even if it has new tires, but I probably won't start carrying 3 spare tires any time soon either.

To each his own.

Always be prepared is a great motto. How prepared and for what is for each to decide though Eh?

I like the 3" 1911's you mentioned. Not bad to carry at all really. How does the FNS compare in size and weight? Sounds about like a G19 in size. If so that's doable all day long.

Peace out.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 11:53:16 PM »
The FNS weighs app. 23.5 ozs. the Kimber weighs 25 ozs, and the Sig 28 ozs. Forget the ozs. Instead of recoil management, you can spend your time on groupings like you never had before. I am done with pocket pistols.

Offline rod m1

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:52:55 AM »
Thanks everyone! You give me some options that I haven't thought about. There are a few unfriendly gun places I visit and the R9 works very well for my needs I might have to continue using it in these cases.

I mostly ankle carry do to the ease of strapping it on and taking it of seated in my car. I think this time I won't something larger that can be shot a lot and something with a full grip. Pocket carry isn't a option for me in a daily setting. Might have to get creative for my next rig.

In a daily setting I get away with ankle carry but would like a waistband option sow is there a waist band holster that can be put on seated?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 03:49:28 PM »
Do you have to tuck a shirt in?

If not perhaps consider an IWB holster. I use crossbreed, but there isn't anything special about the brand IMO.

You could leave the IWB holster on with the gun in the ankle rig and then move it when you want to or purchase one for each if ankle carry is important to you.

IWB carry is where it's at FOR ME most of the time, but it's not for everyone. Ankle carrying today. Tucked in shirt is not the best for IWB though it can be done if the pistol is small enough like a R9 or Kimber Solo size and a tuckable IWB holster like a super tuck or king tuck. It opens up a new world of what can be concealed comfortably.

Norm hits a good point for a lot of people. 23-30 0z isn't that bad with the right rig ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT. It was awkward at first for me anyway.

So what full grip pistol are you looking into? Please keep us posted on how you end up.

Good topic.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:55:05 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 12:40:54 PM »
The FNS weighs app. 23.5 ozs. the Kimber weighs 25 ozs, and the Sig 28 ozs. Forget the ozs. Instead of recoil management, you can spend your time on groupings like you never had before. I am done with pocket pistols.

That's not too bad at all. Glad you have figured out your course of action. I am a bit jealous I must say. I am still trying to settle in with my A#1 option and just stick with it. So many great guns out there! H&k, FNS, s&w, Glock, Rohrbaugh, Seecamp, Springfield, Kimber, Sig and on and on and on. Not to even mention the Ed browns and even higher end stuff. You have done well to settle in and be satisfied with a primary operating system.

Still trying,

JoshA
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:24:07 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »

One size doesn't fit all, that's for certain.

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 08:30:58 PM »
I will continue to carry my R9, but when I need/want something a little bigger I love my ruger SR9C. I am much better with it that my R9 and it carries very well.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned either a Springfield EMP or a J-frame wheelie.  I've got my little family of Rohrbaughs...but I only carry one of them when it's a pretty safe bet I won't be needing to use it.  I don't need it being thrown into an evidence locker.
Out and around in various environments... It will be a wheelie of any caliber from 9 to .44 special.  In worse areas, it'll be a FNS full size & 3 - 17 rd. mags with a J-frame back up. 
For those who don't really like revolvers, the SA EMP is a really fine carry pistol that almost disappears in a OWB at 3:30 and is the the new standard for reliability in a reasonably priced 1911 style hand gun.  It's way more accurate than expected from a 3"bbl and after at least 2K rounds, has yet to fail in any way.  It's not cheap...but neither is anything else I carry...just like most of the other members here....but it is replaceable...unlike my treasured Rohrbaughs.

Offline Neil Blackwood

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 01:12:29 PM »
Nothing.

A DiamondBack is probably the closest thing, but in a different league.

The Diamondback has a pretty nice trigger and seem well made for the price.   The only thing I don't like about them is the damn diamond grip pattern on the frame. IMHO, it makes the gun look cheezy :(   After I get don't working on my Sccy, I might pick one up just to see what I can do with it.........Like remove the diamonds and stipple the entire area where they where.