Author Topic: Tom Watson/ The Irish Guard  (Read 3800 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Tom Watson/ The Irish Guard
« on: February 05, 2017, 11:02:21 AM »
I was going thru a box of miscellaneous Rohrbaugh stuff that I am selling to make room for the new stuff. I came across an index card with my deposit for a new Rohrbaugh R9S thru Tom Watson/ The Irish Guard. He died in March 2013. It will be 4 years since his passing. Those who knew him will all agree that he was a gentleman. He loved Rohrbaughs and was always eager to talk about them with anyone. He was the first person to give me the history and all the ins and outs of the Rohrbaugh guns. He never got to deliver my gun to me...the factory stepped in and honored his order to me.  Maria handled it in typical Maria fashion. She was the best. It was a bittersweet delivery for me. I never felt so bad about a person dying that I hardly knew.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Tom Watson/ The Irish Guard
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
Very well stated words about our good friend, Tom Watson. I was fortunate enough to have visited him at his home in Grand Prairie on two occasions. He was a rare individual who suffered from muscular dystrophy but  touched every one who came in contact with him in a most positive fashion.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 05:26:24 PM »
He was the person who introduced me to these guns via pictures. Thanks tom👍🏻

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 07:33:20 PM »
Tom Watson. He was quite the gentleman and an honest businessman. I recall meeting him at one of the SHOT Shows in Las Vegas. He stopped by to introduce himself to us at our booth. He was gracious and boy oh boy did he sell the heck out of those R9s! I was always packing up multiple pistols to be shipped to his place. He loved the R9. He loved life. He was truly a good man. Miss him. Rest in Peace Thomas.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
When I was inquiring about buying my second R9 from him he told me that he had one in stock. However, he said that since the S/N was 747 he intended to keep it for himself. I appealed to him that I had been a 747 pilot and would deeply appreciate it if I could take that one off his hands. He graciously consented and sold me #747; that was the gracious gentleman, Tom Watson.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 01:02:07 PM »

Tom was one of the original advertisers on the forum, and always supported us.  I miss my dealings with him.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 12:33:30 AM »
Tom was a great guy! I never met him in person but spoke on phone and corresponded with him many times.
I bought my Rohrbaugh knife from him.
Time goes by so fast,it seems like yesterday that I spoke with him!
He is greatly missed!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 07:52:10 AM »
I bought my Rohrbaugh from Tom, and talked to him a few times. He worked with me when I was deployed so that when I got home he could ship me my firearm. He was a very nice man and is missed.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:04:48 AM »
I remember Tom speaking with us about your R9! Wow. . . . This is such a great forum for the pistol. I can remember the order Tom placed when you were out of the country in the service of our country and wanted to get an R9 upon your return. Does this sound correct "dd"?

Eric R.

Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »
Yes Eric, I was in Afghanistan at the time and communicating with him. I also had Maria send me some info on different models offered at the time.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 06:56:37 PM »
That's correct! I remember something about Afghanistan. Wow. . . . This is something. Glad all is well by you good Sir. Nice to have you home again.

ECR