Author Topic: AAC Suppressor & what to attach it to  (Read 6063 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
AAC Suppressor & what to attach it to
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
Today is 8 months to the day I am waiting for my stamp for my AAC Suppressor. I ordered it figuring that Hillary would be the next president and these would be history. Thank God that didn't happen!  It seems like it should come in any day now from what I am told. So, the question is " What gun do I purchase to put it on?" I am leaning towards the FNX Tactical in .45. Your thoughts? Thanks.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: AAC Suppressor & what to attach it to
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
My vote is to get the 5/8 adaptor for a 10 inch 300 Blackout upper on an AR pistol lower with a Sig arm brace.  Check out YouTube for vids shooting subsonic 300 Blackout.  It's like Pfft, pfft, pfft

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »
I feel your anticipation, waiting myself.  Looks like they are processing forms from the last week of June now.  My last one was just over 8 months.

I have an ACC TiRant on the predecessor to the FNX, the FNP Tactical.  Great set up.  Lot of fun to shoot.  Sounds like an airgun with most ammo.

I see PhilZ posted about the adapter ACC makes. The rifle adapter that allows you to use your .45 can on a .300 Black Out rifle (if you only use subsonic rounds,  supers will blow it up).  It prevents the recoil booster from working, so cuts down on the bounce.  It's a good thing.

During visits to gun stores I have picked up and considered purchasing a used Marlin Camp carbine in .45 ACP, threading the barrel and putting a red dot on top.  However I have not found one for a price I like yet, they seem to have skyrocketed lately.  Not really liking any of the AR set ups I see now for it.  Really would like a reliable AR that uses Glock magazines in .45.

You can purchase different pistons and put it on a 9mm.  Threaded barrels may be available and able to drop in for other pistols you have.

Lot of options out there for you.  They make a great can and you will love it.  Just be ready for the effect it will have on those that see it and don't know all about the laws.  If not already, you will become the 'gun guy' in their eyes, LOL.  Sometimes with not so good results.  My former sister in law thought it would help in her divorce against my brother to try and use the fact that he let their daughter shoot my suppressors as some kind of criminal act.  She thought they were illegal and the judge would be horrified.  Texas judge looked at her as if she was an idiot (yes she is) and gave custody to my brother.

Post up some pictures when you get it.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:50:54 AM »
Not mine, but this is what an AR pistol looks like with the Sig arm brace

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »

Nice ;D but still shocked the BATF Nazi's haven't outlawed the brace yet.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »

Nice ;D but still shocked the BATF Nazi's haven't outlawed the brace yet.

How is that legal?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 03:13:15 PM »
Sig brace is ATF approved to assist in firing pistols.  You're technically not supposed to use it as a shoulder stock, but it makes for a nice compact home defense tool. 

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:54:35 PM »
As PhilZ said, do not touch your shoulder with the brace, ever, even if you don't pull the trigger or shoot it it's illegal.

The BATFE has ruled that is considered making a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) and that is no different from taking a hacksaw to your favorite hunting rifle and cutting the barrel to under 16 inches and not having the approved stamp.  Yes, how would they know?  Is it 'unmaking' as soon as you pull it off your shoulder?  Hopefully new changes will remove this stupid interpretation.  I've had ROs ask me at the range about my AR pistols, had to explain it a few times.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
Good choice. The advantage of a .45 is you can also shoot .40 and 9.. With the .40 you don't loose much, the 9 a bit more.

When I bought my Osprey I got it in a.40 though I don't own a .40. I use it for my 9mm and could use it for .380 if I wanted to.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 09:38:14 PM »
Recent ATF letter clarifies that shouldering the brace does not change its design, therefore shouldering does not violate anything. 

If you want to go 45 acp, you can't go wrong with the  HK45

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 07:26:39 AM »
Recent ATF letter clarifies that shouldering the brace does not change its design, therefore shouldering does not violate anything. 

If you want to go 45 acp, you can't go wrong with the  HK45

I BELIEVE the HK45 , with suppressor, is what the SEALS use. Not a bad endorsement.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 09:21:20 AM »

Are you sure about that?  The only recent activity I recall is a leaked copy of a white paper that talks about it.  None of those provisions proposed have been implemented yet as far as I know.

In absence of that, I still think this opinion letter is still in full effect.
https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download

Skip to the last 3 paragraphs for the summation of their policy.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:17:17 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 09:56:19 AM »
9 months to the day & the AAC Suppressor stamp finally arrived! PhilZ's rec is awfully tempting...I just may go the 300 Blackout route.
On a side note... we just got back from D.C. & all the Secret Service we saw were carrying Sig P239's. At the National Archives Bldg., they were all carrying S&W .38's, and the Capitol Police were all carrying Glock .40's. Interesting.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »
I wonder if the 239s are .357 Sig.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 07:02:45 PM »
I wonder if the 239s are .357 Sig.[/color]
You are correct! Forgot to mention that.