Author Topic: Free R 9 to good home  (Read 7588 times)

Offline kerrynp5

Free R 9 to good home
« on: January 19, 2005, 04:55:44 PM »
Don't be silly . . .  but look at this

I just spoke to Jeri at Practical Tactical Night Sights. If you send the slide of your R9 to them with $        , they will drill three holes and put in night sight tritium vials with the longest warranty in the business - 15 years. I’ve had guns done there in the past, they are very professional with a quick turnaround time. You can have red, yellow, orange, blue or green in the rear and green in the front sight (60% brighter). Their e-mail address is jling@ptnightsights.com  or (800) 334-3573 or 2900 S. Highland Drive – SUITE 18-B Las Vegas, Nevada 89109 or www.ptnightsights.com
                                                                                     Kerry

What do you think Eric?

P.S. Their technician is going to give me a  price tomorrow. It looks like it will be less than $100.

I'll post the price as soon as I can.

This company has a very good reputation

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Free R 9 to good home
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 06:28:22 PM »
I would like to see a picture when you get yours done..
I know that this has been discussed before, and If I remember correctly without doing a search, that it is a difficult add on to do this in a durable fashion..

I think it would be great if this was an option from the brothers Rohrbaugh!!  8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Stook

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 06:50:39 PM »
This topic was discussed in August, the final resolve being that the night sight vials couldn't stand up to the recoil abuse.  Check out the following on the FAQ site:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/sights-night.htm

OR, you may have found a source that can do it without the problems. (Hope so)  

Let us know what you find out and/or how it works.

Randy

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 08:56:20 PM »
I recall the prior night sight thread, and yes, the R9s owner who had them installed had multiple vials break very quickly during practice.

I also recall a more recent thread wherein the R9 was compared to the NAA G380, with someone who owns both saying that the Rohrbaugh has less felt recoil.  The tritium on my G380 holds up generally no worse than other night sights I have had.

I wonder to what extent felt recoil translates into the way recoil affects something attached to the slide, especially since we are comparing a straight blowback to a tilt barrel?  If they do compare, maybe tritium is feasible.

I certainly hope it is, as I have regarded tritium is a near-necessity since I got my first pair of such sights.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 10:56:02 PM »
Guinea pigs - we need guinea pigs!!! :P ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 02:44:01 AM »
What's the latest on this thread? There hasn't been a post about it since January of this year.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 01:02:51 PM »
No Guinea pigs looks like!!

I do not think anyone has given it a whirl.. :)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 01:51:33 PM »
I doubt anyone will try it anytime soon to be honest.

Add to that.... with enough practice and the probably short range use of the gun, I don't feel - well for me - that expense would be worth it.  This is very much a point and shoot deal for me.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Iorndealer

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 11:26:07 AM »
+1

I agree with RS9Carry.  Granted that accurate shoots can be made with the pup at "long distances" the whole point of the R9s exitence is deep concealment and point and shoot.  No need to look further than the R9 which we all know is SIGHTLESS for verification of this fact.
"Keep it Safe, Keep it Secret"

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 06:40:08 PM »
You know, I really like night sights. I have them on a lot of my pistols. But, given the remarkable pointability of my R9s, I just can't see putting tritium on it.

This pistol points better for me than any other pistol I've fired (hundreds - I used to manage a gun store, and trade a bit too much as a hobby). Karl Rohrbaugh told me that he came up with the grip angle by taping a laser pointer to the gripframe mockup that he was carving on, and he kept changing the gripframe until the laser pointed spot-on to where he wanted it.

Whatever he did, it worked. I feel confident that I can hit a human target at the Rohrbaugh's effective distances just by pointing, without even looking at the gun. (Practice bears this out, too!  :)  )