Author Topic: Excellent info on gun lubrication  (Read 14834 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
Excellent info on gun lubrication
« on: February 01, 2012, 12:23:40 AM »
Info is from Grant Cunningham.  One bad mf'er when it comes to revolvers.  He has some good info on his site, and this might be close to the top when it comes to dispelling a few preconceived notions I had.  Read and be enlightened my friends!

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Excellent info on gun lubrication
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:26:22 AM »
EXCELLENT!  A lot of info entirely new to me.  Thanks!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:40:08 PM »

Good stuff from Grant. I've been on his waiting list for two years to work his magic on my 3" Colt Detective Special. It shouldn't be much longer.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Gun Lubrication
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »
One paragraph of Grant Cunningham's article deserves to be inscribed in stone:

WD-40: WD-40 was never meant to be a lubricant - it was designed as a moisture displacer. It's far too light for any load protection, has incredibly poor corrosion resistance, contains zero boundary lubricants, and rapidly oxidizes to form a sickly yellow varnish (hint: this is not good for delicate internal lockwork.) There are those who will defend this stuff vehemently, but then again you can still find people who think smokeless powder is a passing fad. Just. Don't.

Amen!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
Re: Gun Lubrication
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:45:04 PM »
One paragraph of Grant Cunningham's article deserves to be inscribed in stone:

WD-40: WD-40 was never meant to be a lubricant - it was designed as a moisture displacer. It's far too light for any load protection, has incredibly poor corrosion resistance, contains zero boundary lubricants, and rapidly oxidizes to form a sickly yellow varnish (hint: this is not good for delicate internal lockwork.) There are those who will defend this stuff vehemently, but then again you can still find people who think smokeless powder is a passing fad. Just. Don't.

Amen!

Agreed.  WD-40 actually stands for water displacement - 40th attempt.  It's definitely not a lubricant.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 01:32:58 AM »
WD-40 comes up in almost every lubrication thread on any gun forum in existence.  No it's not a good lubricant.

I have found though that if people use other lubricants in conjunction with WD-40, they often avoid having it get gummy or turn into varnish.

So if someone sprays their gun down with WD-40 and they wipe it, and then they put some Break Free CLP or something on the rails  or in some places, that oil tends to migrate around and it seems to prevent the WD-40 from getting gummy.  Or maybe they spray with WD-40, but as a final step they wipe the gun down with RemOil or something.

There are plenty of people who use WD-40 and they never experience a problem with it. 

I'm not saying it's a good lubricant, I actually switched to Lubriplate mentioned in Grant's article and I think it works great.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 01:35:09 AM »
Grant also warns people about how corrosive chlorinated esters can be, but a lot of gun owners are still using products with chlorine in it - like EEZOX and WeaponShield, or carb cleaner, engine degreasers and brake cleaners.

Offline Full Circle

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
FOUND a source:  After reading about the stuff Grant Cunningham reccomends and shopping for it all over the web, finding it only if big buckets, I finally found a great source.  Some guy bought tubs of the stuff and packaged it in normal, easy to use and affordable kits.  Wish i had thought of it.  HEre is the link:  http://www.lubrikit.com/  The best deal is the Magnum Kit, for $29.  I bought three (for familiy and friends) for total of only $65.

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »
Nice!  Thanks for the link.
- George Washington

Offline TooQuick

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 05:04:20 AM »
Yeah, wd40 will eventually gum up. I've been using this grease less spray... It's actually a lubricant and cleaner. It's called safari charlie gun lube, have any of you used it yet? it has some pretty good reviews:
http://www.superslickstuff.com/lubricant/Safari-Charlie-Gun-Lube.html
Just pointing out a good spray alternative in case you are interested.

For those who have used it, let me know what you think!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 06:58:31 AM »
TooQuick.  Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the link to Safari-Charlie.  Again welcome and enjoy the Forum.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
TooQuick
Welcome to the forum.
Interisting gun lubricant. I may have to try it out.

Offline TooQuick

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 03:47:38 AM »
Hey, thank you for the warm welcome  ;D

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »
FOUND a source:  After reading about the stuff Grant Cunningham reccomends and shopping for it all over the web, finding it only if big buckets, I finally found a great source.  Some guy bought tubs of the stuff and packaged it in normal, easy to use and affordable kits.  Wish i had thought of it.  HEre is the link:  http://www.lubrikit.com/  The best deal is the Magnum Kit, for $29.  I bought three (for familiy and friends) for total of only $65.

Thanks for the link. I was looking for this recently and had the same results as you; big buckets.

Again, thank you.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, said the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 09:43:31 AM »
In defense of EEZOX, Larry Seecamp recommends and uses it for his pistols.  The percentage of chlorinated esters is apparently too small to be of concern is what I've been told.  I've been using it on the R9, the LWS and the Boberg with excellent results and it simply washes grease, oil, carbon/copper away.  So far I've continued with more traditional cleaning agents on my larger pistols.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis