Author Topic: New Features of the Forum  (Read 6715 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
New Features of the Forum
« on: November 25, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
Just wanted to note a few things with the new forum software.

1) Registration for new members is a little more complicated, but not bad.  Anyone with an e-mail address or IP address that is used by spammers will be automatically quarantined for individual approval by me.  I haven't found any "false positives" yet.  The software has blocked over 100 spammer registrants so far -- before than can even post.  Nice.  Only one actual spammer has gotten through.  However, the first post or PM of a new member must now be approved by me, so that should further stop all but the most determined spammer.

2) If you see any spam or inappropriate stuff, please use the "report" button to bring it to my attention.  I will get an e-mail notification.  You can use this even for stuff that I need to see for whatever reason -- nothing bad happens.

3) I changed the member groups to something more shooting related.  The progression by post-count is now: New Member, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master, Grand Master.  One of the cool features is that I can actually limit permissions and such by member group.  I was considering making the classifieds section open only to people who have earned a status other than "New Member."  It is currently set at 50 posts, but could be lower.  I don't see too much abuse of this, so I probably won't do it at this point...but it's an option.  I could also create a special board for Master/Grand Master members to post to comment on forum settings, administration, etc.  Let me know if you think that would be helpful or desirable.

If you have any other comments or suggestions on the forum settings or set-up -- please let me know!
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: New Features of the Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »
 "I could also create a special board for Master/Grand Master members to post to comment on forum settings, administration, etc.  Let me know if you think that would be helpful or desirable."

I have seen this on other forums, might be worth a try. ;D

As for the 50 posts before someone can list in the classified, I understand the idea but making 50 posts to sell a gun or accessory you no longer want or need my discourage sellers from listing a used pup or accessory on here. I agree that there hasn't been much if any abuse of the classifieds, maybe ten posts would be a more reasonable if a limit is set.

Also can the 2000 character limit per post be raised, some posts just need more than that. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
Also can the 2000 character limit per post be raised, some posts just need more than that.

I think you are kidding, right?  :o

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:31:15 PM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »
Also can the 2000 character limit per post be raised, some posts just need more than that.

I sure hope so.  500 is pushing it for my tired brain to read.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »

Not really, here is a recent post by Ammo Toad. (note the red highlighted area)

Link to actual post  http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=5785.0

Of perhaps interest to some…I have a P3AT that I keep loaded and ready at all times.  It’s just a convenient, already ugly, pistol that I can have on me while running, walking out to the mailbox, or anything else that is just quick….this gun had not been fired in over 2 years, had never (until today) been disassembled and cleaned properly, it hadn’t been oiled and was just pretty much neglected (I know that’s bad)….so I took it to the range, took it out of the pouch and fired….same ammo and magazine that had been in it for over two years…it worked great!  Loaded up some blazer ammo I had and put a few more magazines worth through it….zero issues…I was pleased, since I had neglected it for so long, that it worked as it should.  Took it apart and cleaned it properly today, oiled it up, reloaded it, and put it back in its spot with a new respect for this low priced, American made gun.  Pic is with the CM9 and R9. Tired to post one story but 2,000 character limit is a real hinderance.

And I was posting some info that I had to put into two pasts because of the limit.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
Corey, heres one of your posts that was around 1500 characters.  (remember it's characters not words)

I have HAD thoughts of trying to collect one of each versions of the R9 pistols.  If money allowed (it don't) how many R9 pistols would you end up with if you owned one of each variant?  I think the number would be 38, but I was hoping you guys could look through these and help me out.  This thread is really just to give folks an idea of how many different stages the R9 has gone through.  For this discussion we will leave out any non production models that may have been made.  I will edit this as needed with your input.

1 Early light gray model without the "R" prefix

2 Med. gray model with blue CF's

3 Med. gray model with black CF's

Deer Park starts here? ? ? ? ? ?

4 Med. gray model with blue CF's

5 Med. gray model with black CF's

6 Dark gray model with black CF's

7 Dark gray model with blue CF's

8 Black two-tone model with black CF's

8 Black two-tone model with blue CF's

10 Black two-tone model with G10

11 Black Stealth model with black CF's

12 Black Stealth model with G10

New non script Deer Park logo

13 Black two-tone model with G10

14 Black stealth model with G10

15 Elite model

16 Elite fancy model with Black CF's (16 were made)

17 Robar model

18 Special Forces model

19 And some custom Factory model that you can have input on your gun color, grips etc... (I have not seen or heard of one yet)

Then with any of the above you could have it with or without sights so I come up with 38 possible versions of factory R9's.  Have I missed any? (or dreamed up any   )
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:47:50 PM »
That was before I got tired I guess.  My Boberg review probably was long too.  I'll try to limit myself to 50 from now on.  I'm trying to be much more shallow these days.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:22:26 PM »
Try some Geritol it may help with being tired.  ;D
  Don't get too shallow we all enjoy your posts and knowledge of the history on the pups.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:43:53 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 03:47:52 PM »
DDGator,
I just posted a couple of replies to posts and found the new format / software really user-friendly.
Well done!  Congratulations to the Forum team for the upgrade.