Author Topic: German made Robrbraugh  (Read 7558 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: German made Robrbraugh
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
The only justification for R9 porting that I have read in all of these posts is perceived recoil reduction. I don't care about recoil reduction in a six yard range, seven round small personal defense weapon. Other than a gee whiz and isn't that pretty, this is about one of the most effective ways to waste money that comes to mind.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »
The only justification for R9 porting that I have read in all of these posts is perceived recoil reduction. I don't care about recoil reduction in a six yard range, seven round small personal defense weapon. Other than a gee whiz and isn't that pretty, this is about one of the most effective ways to waste money that comes to mind.

I have not carried a R9 for at least 5 years as shooting one with accuracy and with accuracy and speed are difficult for me.  I do much better with a Solo, PM9, or Boberg.

Recoil reduction is a big help.  Shooting the wimpy Federal stuff is not too bad.  The porting really takes the snap out of the Gold Dots.

JMO

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 04:57:19 PM »
You probably saw the complimentary article on the PM9 and other Kahrs in the "American Rifleman." What do you like about it?

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 08:04:28 PM »
You probably saw the complimentary article on the PM9 and other Kahrs in the "American Rifleman." What do you like about it?

I have a p40, a PM9, and aP380 and they are all great guns.  The P380 is the best 380 mad in my opinion.

In 2004 I received a Seecamp 380 that was in the first 200 made.  I waited 3 years to get it and by that time I had a Colt Pony Pocketlite and I never even opened it.  In 2009 the pocket gun market went crazy and I sold the Seecamp for $1800.

I wanted to get a Rohrbaugh at that time but they were all backed up and none were available so I bought a PM9.

The PM9's are great shooters, accurate, good triggers, nice sights, and feed everything.  I had about 10 or 15 part boxes of 9mm hand loads from accuracy testing a 952 Smith and I ran them through the PM9 without a failure.

I carried it for a couple of years and still have it.  The Solo shoots just as good, points a little more natural for me, and the slide shape makes it easier to pocket carry.

The slide shape is the one thing I do not like about the PM9.  It is square on top like tthe Glocks and makes it difficult to pocket carry.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »
Apparently, there have been some problems with the Solo and it will be discontinued in the near future. Maybe, it was the price point and competition that led to its  demise.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 08:27:31 PM »
I do not think price was the problem with the Solo.  They were designed around full power self defense loads.  They do not like cheap ammo I was told and I have never shot any in it and have never had a failure and I have had two of them.

They are aluminum framed which will not take the pounding like polymer.  Some guys got them and they wouldn't run on Blazers or WWB and they sent them back.  Others shot the $hit out of them until they broke.

Kimber is selling the heck out of the Micro 9's and they put them on the Solo production line to keep up.  Kimber has not ruled out making Solo's again but I doubt it will happen.

I shoot Remington 124 gr +P Bonded in mine which is about the best defensive load available for short barreled 9 mm's and it handles them fine.  I do not shoot 100's of them at a range session though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:34:38 PM by MRC »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »
I just sold my Kimber Micro 9 Raptor. It made me a much better shot than I am. Nice gun!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 10:10:05 AM »

I like Kahr guns and have owned a few.  Interestingly though, my local gun shop won't even take them on a trade.  Says he can't sell them.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 03:41:10 PM »

Every one who has Kahrs likes them.  There is only one shop here that really has them on hand or recommends them.  The original Kahrs were very very nice guns but a little pricey.  The lower level guns that they started selling a few years ago are moving faster.

The last of the German Rohrbaugh's came in today.  It looks better in person than it did in the pictures.  It really could be touched up I think.  It looks like he carried it in his pocket with his car keys one time.

I think I will talk to Cogan once I fire it to make sure everything is working. It will make a good "Pimp Gun" I think.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »

Every one who has Kahrs likes them.  There is only one shop here that really has them on hand or recommends them.  The original Kahrs were very very nice guns but a little pricey.  The lower level guns that they started selling a few years ago are moving faster.

The last of the German Rohrbaugh's came in today.  It looks better in person than it did in the pictures.  It really could be touched up I think.  It looks like he carried it in his pocket with his car keys one time.

I think I will talk to Cogan once I fire it to make sure everything is working. It will make a good "Pimp Gun" I think.

If you mail me the stripped slide with return postage, I will bead blast it for you at no charge and clean up any micro scratches or dings. I cant guarantee that any deep dings will come out but its worth a shot. I have the same size glass bead that Eric originally used on these slides.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:43:32 AM by offrdmania »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 11:40:20 AM »
There are some tiny black dots on the slide (rust?) but it really is not scratched.

I still think I am going to"pimp" it anyway and Cogan will clean it up to plate.  If not I was going to buy a cheap blaster, I have some Smiths that could use some touch up. 

The frame is not gouged any, just scratched up from keys it looks like.

Thanks for the offer.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »
Yes, a nice offer offroad! Very cool.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.