Author Topic: *** Update on R9S problem  (Read 7501 times)

Offline TeufelTexan

*** Update on R9S problem
« on: March 08, 2006, 11:51:23 PM »
Started a new post because I never like it when a negative post goes on, but no one ever reads to the end to see the resolution.

The R9S I had previously posted on had what turned out to be a somewhat serious problem.  Turns out mine was one of the lot which were subject to the cracked slide.  It was returned to the factory by the dealer and brought up to snuff prior to my purchase.

If you recall from the previous post, I took it to the range and had a few problems. FTF's and FTE's as well as a weird #5/#6 round hangup.  Gave her a thorough cleaning and placed the grip tape for round two.  Took her out Tuesday and proceeded with more reliablity testing.  Fired 2 mags of 124gr GS's with 2 FTF's.  Mag 3 fired fine until round #6, when i suffered a show-stopper.

Round #6 fired normally and ejected as well.  No additional recoil or report.  However, I noticed that the hammer remained to the rear.  Inspection revealed that the hammer strut was sheared in two where it met the hammer.  I called up the dealer (who had another on the shelf) and let him know that I was coming in.  He is handling the return of this pistol to the factory.

I surmise that flex or torque on this part may have contributed to the cycling issues on the pistol.  Perhaps causing drag on the underside of the slide as the handgun returned to battery.

***** NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS *****
This handgun was replaced by the dealer with his one remaining R9S.

I immediately took my replacement pup to the range.  

[glb]THIS IS THE PISTOL I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!!!![/glb]

Gave it a quick breakdown and inspection.  Added a tiny bit more superlube to the hood of the barrel as it seemed to have been worn off in handling at the shop (the lube, that is).

Stoked her with a full box of 115gr WWB(Cheap for break-in), FLAWLESS!!! (not entirely true - the range master had 2 FTF's with the one mag he fired per his request.  This weapon had not been "taped" yet, and it was obvious that he was having grip issues.  He was doing gun maintenace prior to shooting and I am pretty sure he had oil on his hands.  BUT MY MAGS WERE FLAWLESS - AND SHE'S ALL MINE!!!!)

Fed her an additional 40 rounds of Federal 124gr Personal Defense Hydrashock. - AGAIN, FLAWLESS!!!  (Bored with GDHP and had these left over from the Kahr I traded in on her.  Tried this due to the recent writeups stating that this load was developed for better performance using shorter barrels - If anyone knows any issues with this load, please let me know.  I'll check R9SCarry's Ammo Test and other sources before I make a final decision.)

Due to this performance, the pup rides on my hip as I type.  I do intend to get her to the 200 round range with equal results before I bow down to the Brothers Rohrbaugh - but I fully expect this weapon to get me there.  (And I ain't to proud to admit that this weapon is a marvel of engineering.  BRAVO!)

As an aside, the dealer tells me that his dealings with the factory have been very positive.  I maintain that this type of thing can happen to any machine.  I have personally spent several hours on the range helping a friend get his new kimber to function, mine is in the 2,000 round range without a hiccup.  

So the end result is that I have what appears to be a reliable and fully functional R9S.  Another gentleman was in the dealer's shop and asking for a very small and concealable 9mm.  The dealer showed him the R9 and explained the issue with it.  Despite the issue, I think this gentleman has dibs on the R9 if it comes back.

I certainly did not intend this post to highlight a negative experience.  I just wanted to show that my previous "less than stellar" experience was likely a twist of fate.  I also wanted to show that my new R9S is a fine handgun...

Thanks again for all of the tips and encouragement.  Looking forward to many more informative posts from all of you!

Thanks,
TT
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 02:59:03 PM by TeufelTexan »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: *** Update on R9S problem
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 09:24:05 AM »
TeufelTexan

Thanks for taking time to write the followup story.  I'm glad you got past the bad start.

Looks like you have a winner.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 10:08:55 AM »
TT:

Good report!  Thanks for the followup, and welcome to the "club" -- the growing number of us who own flawless R9's.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »
TT, thanks for your follow up report, sounds like you now love your pup.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:20:13 PM »
TT, Good to hear all is well.  Thanks for the follow up.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 09:46:37 PM »
TT

Enjoyed reading your post - welcome and post often.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 09:53:49 PM »
TT

Did your slide actually crack before being sent back?

I've wondered if Rohrbaugh contacted any owners who have
R9s  where slides  might crack and ask them to send them back.

Reason I wonder is that we know there were a small number of slides produced from a defective metal stock.  
So Rohrbaugh knows what guns may have problems.

Does anyone know if Rohrbaugh contacted owners of guns with potential slide problems?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 09:56:21 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 11:38:08 PM »
Dave - I get the impression that R Bros probably cannot trace any suspect slide guns - because the SS billet material was probably not logged on a ''per gun'' basis.  If it was then I think they would have followed up.  

By the nature of the crack region tho, one thing I do feel is that any slide that should happen to go that way will not compromize function, initially at least, and so from a safety/defensive standpoint, presents no loss of reliability if gun was actually needed in extremis.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TeufelTexan

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 01:39:50 AM »
Did your slide actually crack before being sent back?

I've wondered if Rohrbaugh contacted any owners who have
R9s  where slides  might crack and ask them to send them back.

My Dealer had two R9's on the shelf.  It is my understanding that one of these was sold and suffered a cracked slide within the first 30 rounds.  The dealer contacted the factory and was asked to send both R9's in for refit (the serials were only two numbers apart).

Both pistols were returned to dealer as new, including new warranty slips.

The first R9 I had (the one with the prob's) was apparently the previously cracked slide.  I spoke with the rangemaster who was present when it cracked and it appears that the owner may have gotten through several rounds (if not a full mag or more) after the crack occured.  I wonder if perhaps the tolerance change during firing with the cracked slide may have contributed to the fractured hammer strut that occured under my ownership as I am unsure which components were replaced during the refit.  I would assume that the lower was unchanged.

The second R9 (which I now have) was unfired except for the factory tests.  This one was refit before a crack developed.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 06:05:04 PM »
Thanks TT

Chris I was wondering because my Farmingdale R9 was NIB but the original owner sent in the warranty card so the factory can't associate me with the gun.  A poster on the forum had one that developed a crack with a SS# that was two off mine.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:13:21 PM by MountainMan »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 06:45:04 PM »
Hard to tell Dave - because it does seem that close SN's may not actually indicate much at all!

But wait - if yours was Farmingdale slide then seems probably it could have been made way before the cracked slide issue came to light.  I know Eric told me a long time ago that SN continuity was patchy, due to when frames came in etc.  For instance one set of frames that went off to be re-done last year IIRC could well have been earlier numbers and then when used come back into the flow of output well out of sequence.

Just talking to self! ;)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 10:49:10 PM »
TT,
Glad the "new" pup is to your liking!! :)

As far as the "cracked" slide situation,I own 2 Deer Parkers,back to back #s that as far as I know,are smack dab in the midst of the "bad stock"

I carry one and the other has resided in the safe.. ;)

I have not had a problem as yet with the one I am shooting,and do not expect any.. ;D

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 03:24:56 PM »
Hi TT, glad you like your pistol.

Since you asked, a comment on the ammo.  Hydrashok "personal defense" ammo is, In my opinion, a poor choice for carry ammo.  There are two issues.  First, this stuff is loaded a little lighter to reduce recoil.  Second and more importantly, the bullet itself is made using an old technology.  Newer bullets have the jacket bonded to the core to prevent seperation when the target is hit.  

Speer GDHP ammo is among the very best self defense ammo available.  Also extremely good is Federal Tactical and Winchester Ranger.  My personal favorite in 9mm is Winchester RA9T.  RA9T is standard pressure 9mm ammo that performs very comperably to +P 9mm ammo.  I use it in my R9 and it works nicely.

Offline geekster

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 03:23:17 AM »

Both pistols were returned to dealer as new, including new warranty slips.

Selling refurbs as new?
Dell Inc got into big trouble for doing that with computers.
pistol packin' "Liberal"

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 09:56:04 AM »
TeufelTexan
I'm glad it worked out for you. The R9 is a great concealed carry 9mm pistol. I am one of the earlier R9 owners that had a cracked slide and other problems. The Rohrbaugh brothers took care of it for me, and now after about 150 rounds my PUP is still working fine. Although I am following Eric Rohrbaugh's suggestion of, "...to be carried a lot and fired little." Those may not be his exact words, but I get his meaning. I've posted on this subject in the past. It works for me.
It sounds like you have a great dealer if he sent your R9 back for repairs! I had to pay $35 to ship mine. Rohrbaugh paid to ship it back to me.
I've done some informal ammo testing (like firing into wet phone books, through cloth, plywood, sheets of steel, etc)with my R9. I've found the most reliable, best performing ammo is the Speer GDHP in either 115gr or 124gr. The Fed Hydra Shok doesn't seem to expand or penatrate as well, and I have had some jacket seperation with the Fed HS, but not with the Speer GDHP.

Best of Luck

Ed