Author Topic: +p?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline KorrMuraan

+p?
« on: September 21, 2007, 11:54:25 PM »
Little background...
I carry (rarely, and that's the problem) a Glock G36 (singlestack .45acp). It's just too obvious with a loose tshirt, even with IWB, and frankly... uncomfortable. Could be I just need a different holster or carry method though.

Got my wife an S&W 340PD, an ultralight .357mag wheel. She loves it and carries it in her purse.

So 90% of the time I snag the S&W and toss it in my pocket holster, though I'd really like an auto.

I'm seriously considering the R9, but only if it will do +p. Does it? Or something of comparable quality to the R9?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: +p?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 07:29:54 AM »
KorrMuraan:

First, permit me to welcome to the Forum.

With its weight of 12.8 ounces and tight tolerances, the R9 is not designed to accommodate +P or +P+ ammunition. The owners handbook provides the following advice in that regard:

"CAUTION: USE ONLY ORIGINAL HIGH QUALITY FACTORY MANUFACTURED (NO RELOADED) 9mm STANDARD PRESSURE PARABELLUM AMMUNITION IN GOOD CONDITION. DO NOT USE +P OR +P+ AMMUNITION. Your Rohrbaugh Pistol has a short barrel to minimize overall size. +P or +P+ ammunition will not result in increased performance but can cause undue wear and failure of the mechanism."

Different owners of R9 pistols have settled on different brands and loads as their carry ammunition. I've heard that Karl Rohrbaugh carries Winchester Silvertips in his own R9.  A lot of owners have chosen Speer Gold Dots in standard-pressure 115 or 124 grain loads.  I personally use either the Gold Dots or the "heavy weight" 147 grain Remington Golden Sabers in mine.  For practice at the range, Winchester "White Box" FMJ is a common choice.

If you are intent on carrying a 9mm with +P or +P+ ammo, you will not want one of the R9s. However, if you want to carry what I consider to be the smallest, lightest, most concealable, and highest quality 9mm semi-automatic handgun yet made, the R9 may be your answer.  

For further information, you could check out some of the ballistic data contained on Chris' FAQ sheet, which has a rotating link at the top of the Forum's opening page.

Good luck, and welcome again.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 07:32:12 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 12:39:19 PM »
In addition to what Richard just said, the R9s is a pistol that is always with you.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 03:22:37 PM »
If you want an autoloader ABOUT the size of the R9 but rated for +P, consider the Colt Pocket Nine ...

... out of production for several years but used models are still around. NIB models can run $1K or more.

Offline KorrMuraan

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:31:41 PM »
Thanks guys. Man... really disappointing about the manual quote.

The thing is I'm in Alaska, and over half the year everyone's in some pretty thick winter gear. I'd feel anxious relying on a sub 300 flb, if I was ever in a situation. Guess I'll have to do some more research to see what'll fit.

Though it is true, the 9mm in pocket is beats the .45 left at home.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 06:38:08 PM »
Thanks guys. Man... really disappointing about the manual quote.

The thing is I'm in Alaska, and over half the year everyone's in some pretty thick winter gear. I'd feel anxious relying on a sub 300 flb, if I was ever in a situation. Guess I'll have to do some more research to see what'll fit.

Though it is true, the 9mm in pocket is beats the .45 left at home.

If you're worried about penetration in those types of conditions, consider carrying FMJ like Winchester Whitebox.