Author Topic: grip screw removal  (Read 6109 times)

Offline rooster

grip screw removal
« on: May 09, 2005, 01:07:15 PM »
I have a problem with one of my grip screws.  The left side bottom screw is in so tight that I have broken 1 allen wrench trying to remove it.  And now the allen head is rounded out and the wrenches no longer fit.  My question is, since it is the left panel do I ever have to remove it for maintenance?  I was thinking of drilling through the screw and retapping.  I also thought about removing the front screw and then rotating the panel down and maybe the screw will lossen up, but then if the head breaks I am "screwed". Also has anyone detailed striped there pistol yet?  If so how?

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: grip screw removal
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 04:22:04 PM »
I also thought about removing the front screw and then rotating the panel down  //  rooster

This will not work, there are index pins under there , in addition to the screws.

Only thing I can think of is to use a small cut off wheel in a Dremel, and  cut a slot in the screw head..
RJ=

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:59:18 PM »
I've heard that you can drill into a screw and cause it to shatter (obviously safety glasses are a must), but have never tried it personally.  Of course you'll need a new screw to put the grip panel back on, but you'll probably need that no matter how you get the screw out.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 09:59:42 PM by BillinPittsburgh »
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 07:00:26 PM »
Aesthetics aside with a buggered screw - IMO that left panel need never come off!!  On my FAQ site are some pics of a full take down if that helps tho not much use re the screw dilemma.

The most critical thing if drilling out a screw is - precision - start on center and stay on center.  This will mean use of a small drill sufficient to not ruin the female thread - and speed and feed will have to be very finely controlled - and with cutting fluid/oil too.  The screws are IIRC stainless and hard therefore.

NO hand drill - this is, if attempted, a drill press job.  If t'were me - I'd live with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Meant to add - Allen wrenches MUST be true 1/16" (0.0625") - ''cheapie'' ones that are sloppy will give problems because usually under size and so damage the head.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 07:03:12 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline rooster

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 07:34:02 PM »
Thanks r9s, I just went to your site and after looking at your pictures I agree that there is probably no reason to take the left grip panel off.  so for now I am going to leave well enough alone.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 11:20:28 PM »
I was able to remove a damaged and frozen Allen-head screw from the right-side grip panel of my R9s by using a small damaged-screw remover mounted in a power drill on slow speed.  It was a delicate piece of work, and I was fortunate, and relieved, to have been able to remove the screw without inflicting any damage to the grip panel or the frame.

Good luck.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline cobb

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 04:22:02 PM »
I had the same problem, had to drill mine out.  You can get replacement screws off of the Rohrbaugh web site, or you can do what I did, went to a local supply store and replaced the grip screws with stainless phillips flathead screws.  The size you need is 1/4 inch long screws with 3-48 threads.  When the screw size gets smaller, I think it is much easier to remove a phillips head screws than an allen head screws.
"Pain and discomfort are a great teacher." - cobb

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING - Mankato, MN. - DPS/BCA approved training organization.
NRA & UTAH certified instructor.
www.RiverValleyTraining.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 04:28:27 PM »
cobb - welcome to the board :)

Glad you succeeded with your drilling - it would not take much error to bugger the threads in the frame!  Last year I drew up a screw - best as i could from meaurements - I'll repost that for info tho I did post it a ways back.

Philips heads can be ok, as long as a good quality clean ground driver used.  Equally tho, the Allen heads are OK if wrench is proper size - 0.0625" - a true 1/16".  Unfortunately many hex wrenches from cheaper sets can easily mic up a thou or more under-size and so quickly marr the screwhead.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.