Author Topic: Black Teflon Coating  (Read 5607 times)

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
Black Teflon Coating
« on: October 25, 2005, 07:35:21 AM »
I have a fondness for all black guns.

It isn't because I have anything against guns that are bright, shiny, and stainless... it is more because my wife has only seen my little Kel-Tec, and doesn't know I bought the R9, and if I can make it all black she probably won't ever be able to tell the difference.

What was the comment I got on another board? ...  

A man and his guns,
together for life,
unless they're discovered
by his dear sweet wife...

My gunsmith will send out all the shiny parts (slide, hammer, trigger, and magazine plates) to get black teflon coated for $75.

Has anyone else considered doing this?  Does Rohrbaugh do it?  Is this going to affect the functioning of the gun in any way?  My gunsmith says that it won't hurt the gun, and with many guns makes it function a little smoother and easier.  It sounded a little too much to me like a sales pitch, though, so I decided to ask here before I do anything.  

Comments, concerns, flames, and innapropriate off-topic remarks are all welcome.  

:o

Offline mefly2

Re: Black Teflon Coating
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:00:27 PM »
My experience with black teflon coating is the same as what your smith had to say ... but also what he didn't say is  that it does not wear well and, after just a few presentations from a holster, edge wear was apparent for me.
mefly2
   :D

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 01:20:03 PM »
Actually, he was fairly honest about that -- he showed me a used Glock with some edge wear.  I have also noticed the same edge wear on the KelTec.  It isn't much, though... just a little gleam that shows through on a few of the corners.

Is there any other process that works better or looks better than the teflon?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 04:47:07 PM »
Doug:

I'm one of those who admire "bright and shiny," (what one of my old Army buddies derisively calls bling bling), but a hard bright chrome finish on your R9 would be certain to "blow your cover."  

If you fear that a black teflon coating would be too apt to show wear, have you considered Parkerizing (manganese phosphate) in black?  There are a number of gunsmiths who do the work.  Here is a link to one:  http://www.dgrguns.com/index.html

If your wife should happen to discover your R9 anyway, just explain that she means so much to you that you spare no expense for her protection.   8)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 04:50:56 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 04:56:28 PM »
Richard,
If I tried to sell that one, my wife would say, "Great, lets
go look at a new Mercedes ML 500".

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 05:04:59 PM »
I looked at one of those the other day, they are supposed to be very safe -- actually, I looked at the 350, but same vehicle -- buddy of mine got in a bad wreck in his Navigator -- nothing worked, seatbelts didn't tighten, airbags didn't go off, only reason he was OK was that he was another weight lifter, and his body took the abuse -- made me worry about driving an American vehicle that's not crash tested at all (Chevy HD) -- Navigators aren't side-imapct tested, which is how he got hit.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 05:09:33 PM »
Tracker:

I feel your pain.  A few days after I purchased my R9s, I was surprised to see a furniture truck pull into my driveway with a new leather couch and a sales receipt for $2,000.   ;D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 07:15:55 PM »
Well while my wife agreed to my new R9, two weeks before it arrived we were picking up her new all wheel drive 2006 Mercedes E350 4matic.  I don't know if there was a relation.  Actually her previous car, an 85 Brick Rivera finally gave up the ghost.  We were never new car people and never owned a vechile between the years 85 and when I got my 02 pickup.

She works long and hard hours and this car does have a very safe rating - and it is fun to drive and very solid.  Did it on a three year 15,000 mi a year lease and was surprised the monthly payment was not that much more than my truck. Also the Mercedes dealer does treat you special.  When it needs service they woll pick it up at your house, bring a car to your house to use, and deliver it back to your house.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 09:12:57 PM »
I know it's a lot more money, but I'd seriously consider Roguard finish by Robar Industries.  They prefer you send the entire gun, and you get back the entire gun - assembled & function checked.  
http://www.robarguns.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=10&tabindex=7

When my R9S begins to look worn, I think I'm going to spring for a Roguard job.  Of course, first I'll have to buy another R9S (or one of the new models) to keep me company while the current one is in the shop.  ;)