Author Topic: R9s vs R9  (Read 11934 times)

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
R9s vs R9
« on: March 10, 2005, 09:23:26 AM »
Greetings Gentlemen,
New member here, been trying for months to join this illustrious and astute group of gun owners, had to get another I.P. to get into this well put together forum, it is a pleasure and honor to be part of this gathering. My R9 and Hadley back pocket holster are both on order  :)  My question is...those of you that own the R9, or the R9s, would you have rather chosen one or the other?  Up close and personal are the sights really necessary? I point shoot and have taught point shooting under the appropreate conditions and circumstances.  Any and all comments are welcome, thank you.

mismatch
mismatch

Offline Fud

• Master
Re: R9s vs R9
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 10:33:40 AM »
Even for point shooting, I rely on the front sight.

Maybe Eric can introduce a third model -- the R9fs (front sight) ... I'm being completely serious about this.

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 11:22:09 AM »
Fudster,

Your point is well taken,.. my son is a State Trooper in my state and also a range instructor, and they put much emphasis on using the front sight in a combat situation and do much training along those lines. Thanks for the reply.

mismatch
mismatch

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 02:27:31 PM »
Mismatch, Welcome to the forum. I always thought that sights were not needed in a pocket pistol. If needed, the range is close so just point and shoot. Also the sights might hang up on clothes, pocket & etc. However, the sights on the R9S are perfect-small,fixed,melted with enough there to be useful.In other words, won't hang up on anything and give the shooter enough of a sight to aim or guide his shots. This gives the owner extra confidence that his shots will be well placed and that is a good thing. Most of the R9s I have sold have been with sights. It also gives the owner the ability to shoot better in practice. The R9S is by far the most popular.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 02:44:10 PM »
Thank you Tom,

This is exactly the kind of infomation I was looking for, the gunshop that I ordered from has a large shipment of R9s coming in and some with and some without sights. I was seeking the advice of those who had owned and shot both models, does it make any difference when the holster is ordered from R.J., as I ordered for the R9S.
mismatch

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 03:54:18 PM »
mismatch
The fit of the holster is not effected by the sights, or the lack of...

Thanks for the order
RJ=
RJ=

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 07:09:12 PM »
I will concur..

You cannot go wrong with RJs leather.. ;D

I have the "sight" model and I likey very much.. 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 01:10:51 PM »
Mismatch - a warm welcome to you! :)

I have sights on both mine - and had not actually considered a slide without.  That said - I do feel that for most part point shooting useage is most likely.  I prefer the sights tho because it does give me a slight edge on the longer shot if needed

I have not found the R9 sights to be any embarrassment regarding snagging - they are just too devoid of sharp edges to be a problem IMO.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 01:31:03 PM »
Thank you for the Welcome, --again " Honored" to be part of this forum. Chris, I also highly regard your opinion concerning sights or no sights,  it looks like I made the right choice.
A question I might ask!......are you or anyone else familiar with the lubricate called " Slide-Glide" I have been using it for a while on all of my semi's and really believe it provides excellent lubrication and is long lasting coverage on all moving parts. I don't know if this product has been mentioned on this forum before or not?  Appreciate any knowledge or comments concerning the use of it.
mismatch

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 02:00:23 PM »
''Slide Glide'' ... not come across it myself.

I think tho regarding semi lubing - R9 in particular - despite the Super-lube recommendation from Rohrbaugh - the most critical required feature of a lube is IMO ''persistance''.  Couple that with some content of extra like moly, teflon etc.

There are many good greases around and as long as a film persists thru useage then I doubt we will have any problems.  Just oil willnot be enough - too easily displaced plus capillary creep etc.

Add to that the other recommendation - of field strip, clean and lube - every 50 or so rounds.  This will pretty much ensure that nothing ''goes dry''.

Check here or on my FAQ site (see in my sig) .. there are pics of the main lube areas per Rohrbaugh suggestion.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 08:25:35 PM »
mismatch,

Another welcome!

Chris' site has just about everything you will need to know about cleaning your R9, plus a lot of other really helpful information.  I actually printed out his page on lubricating the R9 and keep it with my owners manual.

Click here for a link to the super lube product page that explains the characteristics of the super lube grease.  It's very interesting stuff.

As if the R bros didn't pay enough attention to detail in designing and building the R9, their recommendation of the Mobil1 and superlube, which are both synthetic, just goes to show how truly meticulous they are.

Hope you find it helpful.

- And another vote for the sighted R9  (I think that's the new term :) ).  You can use them if you want to, but they don't get in your way if you don't.

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 09:25:05 AM »
Wayne,

Thank you for the welcome and information. I truly think that the members here are the most helpful and responsive of any forum that I've visited and belong to. Chris's site is very informative and will be my guidelines for proper cleaning and maintenance. I will have on hand the Super-lube, and Mobil 1 before my R9S arrives, ( cannot have to much gun cleaning products!)  :-/  

Thanks again,

Fred

mismatch

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 10:25:41 AM »
I guess I missed this thread -- or didn't realize what it was about....

I vote for the R-9s as well.  They are no real detriment to the gun, IMHO.  Better to have them and not need them.  The best thing about this gun is that it is capable of accurate, sighted fire at obscene distances -- so the sights are worthwhile.

That being said, I have shot Eric's personal gun (seral #2), and it has no sights!
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 09:40:12 PM »
Duane,

I saw the picture of Eric's gun on your factory tour thread and noticed it didn't have sights, as well.  Does Karl have sights on his R9?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 09:41:34 PM by Wayne »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 12:38:03 AM »
I did not see it, but I don't think so.  The sights were truly an afterthought on this gun.  The original design called for no sights.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com