Author Topic: Magsafe or Extreme Shock  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Southeastern

Magsafe or Extreme Shock
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:31:51 PM »
I have owned an R9 for many years, and it functions as it should.  I shoot and carry Speer Gold Dots which have never malfunctioned and group consistently.  I am interested in the new frangible ammo from both Magsafe and Extreme Shock, but at $2 a copy, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with it in the Rohrbuagh before I buy some.  Has anyone run multiple clips through an R9 with any of this ammo and, if so, what are the results?  Thanks.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Magsafe or Extreme Shock
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:39:33 PM »
Southeastern.  Welcome to the Forum.  Good to hear of the many years of service with the R9.  Haven't tried the Magsafe or the Extreme Shock ammo.  Again welcome.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:39:57 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »

Stay with your Gold Dots. There are a lot of reasons not to experiment with ammo in this gun.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:24:53 PM »
tracker makes a lot of sense.  Should only use the recommended ammo.  Since the Gold Dots have given you such good service, I'd continue that venue.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Southeastern

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  I am interested in the frangible ammo for concealed carry, but I have never had any problems with gold dots and I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the frangible stuff.  Thanks for the time.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »
I have a packet of 9mm Extreme Shock in my safe, but I've never used the round or even opened the packet. I can't remember why I purchased it. I have no intention of running it through my R9.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:29:58 PM »
At $2 a pop I have never considered making the purchase, also I have been happy with what I shoot, it functions great in my gun and I am confident it will get the job done if needed.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 11:20:20 PM »
Hey!  Love those Silvertips.  As long as they make 'em and they perform as they do, couldn't ask for anything better.  Guess we all have our favorite ammo and as it should be.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »

There are some considerations in using any frangible ammo for concealed carry: for example, you might have to shoot through a windshield and there is no comparison to a bonded bullet's performance in that situation, not to mention the lack of penetration with frangible ammunition. There is a lot of discussion on this subject on other forums and it is not supportive of products such as Mag Safe and Extreme Shock.