Author Topic: 3rd Range trip, 240 rounds, still 1st spring  (Read 8194 times)

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
3rd Range trip, 240 rounds, still 1st spring
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:35:26 PM »
I decided to take my 9mm sub-2000 rifle to the farm for a bit of fun while wifey went out with her mother.  I wasn't planning on a lot of shooting.  I only brought along 2 boxes of 115gr American Eagle and a package of paper targets to sight in the rifle a bit.  

Things weren't going well with groups stringing horizontally and moving left over the course of shooting.  After 30 rounds I examined the front sight closely and noticed a nut was missing.  Ah, well that explains it.

Not wanted to waste a beautiful day at the range, I unloaded the gold dots from my R9 and loaded up with the range stuff.  I hadn't planned on shooting the pup so I was still shooting on the original recoil spring with 170 rounds on it already.

since I was set up at 50 yards I gave it a try and placed 6 rounds on paper.  It looked more like a buckshot pattern than a true "group", but I did hit the target with all of my shots.  Having enough of that silliness I moved up to a bench I had at 25 yards and shot some 5-shot groups with differing grip adjustments.  Groups were mediocre but I was really focusing on managing the recoil efficiently to speed up follow up shots, rather than making a "pretty" target group, for now.  Oddly enough, the R9 recovered best with a looser grip with my strong hand, pushing into my support hand.  (push/pull grip, slightly lightened grip with strong hand)
Perceived recoil was much lessened with the slightly relaxed strong hand.  Follow ups were noticeable faster, with the pistol settling right back on target.
I move up to 7 yards and rapid fired the last few magazines with very satisfying results using this lighter grip.  Huh...sometimes it pays to experiment.  

I realized that the round count for this recoil spring was now at 240.  No failures, and no changes noted in the handling or cycling.

Back at home I field stripped the pistol.  As is typical I noticed some brass "dust" but also a few aluminum flecks. Frame wear seemed to be settling down after the initial break in, I couldn't see any areas with indications to show me where the aluminum particles came from.  I won't worry about it.  The recoil spring measured at 3/16" shorter than a new one but didn't feel appreciably lighter.  I'd have to measure it with a spring gauge to tell a difference.  I'll likely change it for carry and still practice on the old spring to see how long it will go.

Every day I shoot this pup, I enjoy it more.  It's capable of far better slow-fire accuracy than I have any right to expect and she's far more manageable than I could have hoped.  If I do my job, she'll do hers.  Maybe next time I'll try some low-light point shooting if time permits.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: 3rd Range trip, 240 rounds, still 1st spring
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:09:35 PM »
P7.  I do believe that's you.  I think I have proof!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 10:23:30 PM »
Not I.  I've not used "P7" as a handle.  Although I love firearms and admire the unique P7 design, I'm not fond of the heat build up and subsequent cooking of my finger.

But hopefully he's a nice fellow, if you've confused me for him. ;)

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:26:57 PM »
Relic,

Thanks for the great range report. It makes me wonder how many rounds have people put through with out any malfunctions before changing the recoil spring? I like your side by side comparison of the new and used springs. I am not sure if that really means the spring is going/is worn out. I seem to recall hearing the spring set being natural and it may still be fine.
 It really does not matter to me. For the few dollars, I will pitch it out at 200 rounds and be done. Keep up the good information.

Robar233

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31:19 PM »
Not I.  I've not used "P7" as a handle.  Although I love firearms and admire the unique P7 design, I'm not fond of the heat build up and subsequent cooking of my finger.

But hopefully he's a nice fellow, if you've confused me for him. ;)

He is a nice guy, for sure!  Don't think I've confused him, though.  I'll continue to gather proof!    ;D   Continue posting; great reading!    :)  
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:34:25 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:37:14 PM »
Robar, thanks for the kind words.  I agree that recoil springs "set" a bit shorter after some use.  So I'm not really too worried about this one shortening.  

To be honest I can't sense a difference yet in the spring pressure.  Usually I can tell, when racking, that the spring is worn.  But the R9 is quite small, which may mask the feel of the spring, and the second spring also may mask a bit of the wear on the main spring, similarly to other dual spring guns.

I'll keep shooting it and see, just for the fun of it.  But as you said, springs are cheap, I changed to a new one for carry.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:53:53 PM »
Thanks for the good range report Relic.

Very informative.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:12:07 PM »
P7.  I do believe that's you.  I think I have proof!    ;D

Why MR Trains, I didn't know you to be so confrontational  ;D

I beg to differ.

Writing style is unique.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »

Why MR Trains, I didn't know you to be so confrontational  ;D

I beg to differ.

Writing style is unique.

Not confrontational at all; miss talking to P7.    ;D  What are you differing about?    ;D  I think his writing is great!    :)    
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:20:15 PM by kjtrains »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 11:31:02 PM »
Forgive kj he just got back to civilization recently. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »
Maybe that's it!    ;D

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 12:31:20 AM »
I'm just differing in that I do not agree that Relic and P7 are one and the same.  :D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 12:32:41 AM »
I'm just differing in that I do not agree that Relic and P7 are one and the same.  :D

OK.  That's fine.  I'll just keep it to myself!    ;D

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 12:42:57 AM »
When you have proof, whip it out.

If the glove fits......

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 12:50:15 AM »
I've got the proof!  I'll share sometime!    ;D