Author Topic: EDC Cleaning Frequency  (Read 7377 times)

Offline Praelus

EDC Cleaning Frequency
« on: October 19, 2018, 10:08:30 PM »
For those of you who adhere to the motto of “fired rarely, carried often,” how frequently do you clean your R9?  That is, if you’re carrying on a daily basis but only shooting the gun at the range every few months, do you clean more frequently than your range sessions would dictate?  This would be done in order to address the hazards of a carry gun, particularly a pocket gun (e.g. sweat, pocket lint, dirt and debris) and ensure proper functioning.

Thanks for any input on this point!

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
Re: EDC Cleaning Frequency
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 08:03:18 AM »
Thanks a really good question.

I definitely clean more than I shoot just to make sure any lent, sweat or other "bad things" I can't see have found its way inside.

I clean after the range and once a month regardless of range time. I've always wondered is that too much or too little.  Also still use frog lube without problems.

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
Pull the slide off once every 4 - 6 months and give things a look, wipe down, oil and reassemble.

Repeat in another 4 - 6 months.

All should be well.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:40:41 PM »
As Eric says, but recommend you clean after each range session and tighten the grip screws after every 20 to 40 rounds, or the pistol may not fire when needed.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Praelus

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:42:37 PM »
Thanks for the input, guys!  I had been considering cleaning on a weekly basis, but you’ve talked me out of it - for now at least.  ;D

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 09:52:21 PM »
I clean my daily carry on a monthly basis. I do a lot of woodworking, so sawdust.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis