Author Topic: Great night at the IPSC match  (Read 3147 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Great night at the IPSC match
« on: June 28, 2005, 11:44:24 PM »
Not Rohrbaugh related!

Great night at the IPSC club!  I shoot informal IPSC club matches every Tuesday night I can -- which means on average about once a month--sometimes twice.

Tonight I managed to score 4th out of 15 shooters -- completing a 36 round, 6 station course with approximately 24 different targets in 54 seconds, from draw to last shot.  I did it with my new Glock 21 -- only my second match with this gun.  Box stock.

I also did a plate drill -- draw from hands above sholders and hit six plates -- in 4.88 seconds.  I was pretty happy with that.

I know I am no Jerry Miculek, but I was happy with my shooting tonight.

But... before I get too cocky, I should point out that the number 2 and 3 shooters were using wheel guns!  ;D

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Great night at the IPSC match
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:36:56 AM »
Duane - I'd be more than pleased to achieve such scores/figures.  I am gettin old and slow but always strive for that ol' magic touch! ;D  Seems that 21 is suiting you :)

I should be shooting steel tomorrow evening - but that is less pure speed than adequate accuracy too - still, all good practice.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 12:53:38 AM »
Duane - I want you on my side in show down at the OK Corral.

Chris - I use to shoot handgun competition steel plates at 100 yards free hand.  
What distance are you doing.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 01:03:02 AM »
Dave - well this steel shooting is whimpy compared to the 100 yard stuff - a mere 20 yards or so with 22's - yep - not big time at all - but one hellovalotta fun!!  We try and alternate with that one week and then PPC the next.

Way way back I did do 100 yard - back in Uk in fact.  This was usually using my 44 Mag Redhawk.  Great fun and something I'd enjoy doing again.

I did also shoot that gun at 100 yards and 300 yards in long range compo's - also very enjoyable.  (Bisley back in 80's).
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 01:16:49 AM »
Chris,
Wonder if they are still allow to do that in the UK.  Even though most people used 44 mags in competition, I used a finely tuned 357 Dan Wesson with a heavy 8 in barrel.  Even used that one deer hunting a few times when I was fairly sure the shots would be less than 100 yards.

In fact a long time ago I was snowbound deer hunting close to where you live - turnpike was closed and had to sleep in the car.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 12:08:47 PM »
Sad thing now Dave is - in UK handguns are verboten - so the pistol shooting I so enjoyed at Bisley back in 80's (having done comp rifle back in early 60's too) - is no more.

In the days of long range, I used the Redhawk with a modest load (probably approx a 44 spl) - with 8.5 Red Dot under a Keith 250 cast SWC.  This was ''lobbed'' downrange but grouped very well.  

By contrast one of my buddies was in the .357 camp - he tho went other extreme.  He loaded a 180 atop a compressed charge of Blue Dot thru his Blackhawk.  Heaven knows what pressures he developed! :D

(Duane - sorry about thread drift!!).
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 12:16:12 PM »
No problem.   ;)  It was just my random, self-congratulatory thoughts anyway...

Speaking of older and slower, the #1 guy last night was 67 years old!  He doesn't always win, but he usually does very well.  
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 12:25:57 PM »
Well - with me at a ''mere'' 60 there has to be hope yet!!! (that is called straw clutching :D )

Heck - I still enjoy the hell outa my shooting anyways - these days it is me vs me.  That works!  My days of real competitive stuff are sadly somewhat historic.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 04:29:52 PM »
Duane,

Great shooting!

I was preparing myself to read that you had used your R-9s.

Silly me.

Bill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 04:47:58 PM »
I would use the R-9, just for kicks -- but I don't have enough magazines!  I would need 6.  Plus I think Eric would slap me silly the next time he saw me.  ;)

I have shot the match with a J-frame before, and taken the penalty for a miss each stage (since I have only 5 shots on board, not 6).  It was not to impress anyone -- just to do it for the hell of it.  Actually, some people were impressed!  :o  Maybe it was the fireballs coming out the barrel from the +P full-charge ammo!
Duane (DDGator)