Author Topic: Range Report on new R9  (Read 8005 times)

Offline LCP

Range Report on new R9
« on: September 12, 2005, 08:35:07 PM »
I went to the range today with the new R9 that I picked up at the gun show over the weekend.  In fact, I just finished cleaning it and putting it back together.  About two hours of tender loving care.  I now understand why everyone wants a take down tool. I made something that worked okay from a dowel. Disasssembly and assembly are definitely a job. I am sure it will get easier the more that I do it.  I remember the problems I had when I first field stripped my  Ruger Mark II (come to think of it that did not get a whole lot easier). I am sure the R9 will get easier.  The reassembly was harder than disassembly.  I did use my vise for the third hand which did help.

Went to the range with Gold dots in 115 and 124 grain, winchester white box in 115 grain and blazer in 147 grain. I fired 80 rounds through the pistol. Not something that I will do on a regular basis. Recoil was stout but manageable.  The trigger was smooth and light for a DA, about the best DA I have ever had. Accuracy was exceptional for such a little pistol. I fired from 3 ft out to about 8 yards.  I have never had a pistol without sights so I did not know what to expect. Looking down the top of the slide was like having sights. I was pleasantly surprised.  Good and accurate double taps at all distances and with more practice the flash sight picture should be even quicker than if it had small sights on the pistol.  The gun fired flawlessly up to about 50 rounds. At that point I began to get  failure to feed which occured 5 times in the last 30 to 35 rounds that I fired. I noticed the bullet pitching up above the barrel breech. I noticed at that time that the gun was getting very dirty and heating up. When racking the slide to put a round into battery I also noticed it did not move forward as smoothly.  I attribute this to the build up of powder, gunk etc. I thought that the slide was not moving back as well with all the dirt build up as the reason for the multiple FTF, especially with the bullet going up so high.  The slide might have been grabbing the round while cycling.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
All in all a very nice shooter.  I am looking forward to carrying this pistol.

Offline itguy

Re: Range Report on new R9
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 08:57:29 PM »
Hi LCP,

As regards your takedown tool (and I know I'll get flamed for this) I use my wife!  Hey honey, can you come tap this pin through for me?  Who knows...maybe this will contribute to another wonderful 38 years of marriage.  After all, why not get them involved in your R9S life?

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:17:54 PM »
The wife should be a fine assistant.  I may try it, too.

Bill

Offline LCP

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 09:25:32 PM »
Hey guys, I might take you up on that suggestion as soon as she finds out about the R9.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 09:31:18 PM »
Hi LCP,

As regards your takedown tool (and I know I'll get flamed for this) I use my wife!  Hey honey, can you come tap this pin through for me?  Who knows...maybe this will contribute to another wonderful 38 years of marriage.  After all, why not get them involved in your R9S life?

Until I got one of RJ's "Stop Sticks," my little wife always provided a well manicured third hand whenever I needed to take down and reassemble my R9s.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 10:08:29 PM »
How do I get one of these "Stop Sticks" to assist with the assembly and disassembly process?

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 01:03:05 AM »
LCP stated above: "Went to the range with Gold dots in 115 and 124 grain, winchester white box in 115 grain and blazer in 147 grain."

---------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering LCP what ammo was giving you the grief with the malfunctions.  I know blazer ammo is supposed to be 'ok' in these R9's, but I wonder if 147 grain has a bigger bullet and getting caught up.

If it was all feeding good before I would hope this gun could feed more than 50 rounds reliably.  I bought my R9 a few weeks ago and I am waiting on the two extra mags I ordered from the factory to come in so I can take everything to the range and see how reliable my R9 shoots.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 10:57:23 AM by bigyimmy »

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 12:10:47 PM »
Wife? She does'nt mess with my guns and I don't mess with her shoes! :o ::) :P :'( :-/ ;D
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 12:20:54 PM »
Fudster,

Send a PM to RJ Hedley and he will give you order information.

That's how I got mine.

Bill

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 02:51:59 PM »
Take down tool  $12 shipped.
Your check is OK...........

To:
RJ Hedley
3133 Walnut St NW
Winter Haven, FL   33881
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 03:14:31 PM »
LCP - can you recall which ammo was giving those FTF's?  

I would not expect that so early on tho we could say break-in is still in prgress but I am sure crud does affect the ability to get into battery satisfactorily.

The energy and speed of slide is I think quite critical such that stripped off next round has no time to tip up too much before chamber entry.  If crud does slow this a bit then I reckon it can be a factor - but also I'd be looking to watch a slow hand controlled slow feed too - to watch fresh round coming out of mag'.  Mag's now should be good - issues on those were way back in time.

Many guns will and should go on rockin' for almost countless rounds but I think with the pup it is still a bit of the ''thorobred'' racehorse syndrome - need for clean stable and oats instead of hay! :D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline LCP

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 09:47:51 PM »
I took note that the FTF occured with all of the types of ammo that I was using.  It was not limited to any particular type.
R9sCarry we are thinking the same thing re speed of the slide affected by the buildup of gunk. Can you be more specific as to what you mean, "watch a slow hand controlled slow feed-to watch a fresh round coming out of mag." I don't understand.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 11:21:46 PM »
Sorry LCP - let me try again.

Instead of a round loading thru cycling after a shot - or, ''sling-shotting'' a fresh round in as we might do to charge the pup normally..........

Instead - from slide fully to rear, let it fwd under manual control, slowly, and observe the pickup of fresh round out of mag - and just observe what happens.  Does round kick up high so bullet might impact top of chamber - or does it strip off and feed into chamber as you'd want.

Hope that is clearer - just looking for any info that might be helpful, even if I have no actual answer!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline LCP

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 07:46:37 PM »
R9SCarry, now I understand. Once you explained I re-read your prior post and it made sense. I also notice a post today talking about a similar problem with a new R9.
I will try to get to the range on Friday and check out your suggestion.

Offline LCP

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 04:24:32 PM »
I went back to the range on Friday with my R9.  I fired winchester white box 115; blazer 147 and a few additional gold dots 115.
Using the Blazers I had trouble in getting the slide into battery on the first round with a full magazine. The slide required some pusing on the rear of the slide to chamber the round. The slide did not feel smooth with the Blazers. On the 2nd or 3rd mag one round did not feed, once again it went up too high.
I switched to the winchester white box and fired another 50-60 rounds without any problems. I do feel alot better about its performance based on the last 60 rounds fired with the Winchester and Gold dots.