Author Topic: Range Report on new R9  (Read 8004 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Range Report on new R9
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2005, 06:03:45 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  She has long since given that .38 to her daughter (my delightful step-daughter) and now carries my former Seecamp .32.  (But I told that story on another thread.)  

She's a real keeper!   :D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2005, 08:47:34 PM »
Funnily enough - my first wife was not anti at all - so it was not a guns disparity that caused problems - more a case of incompatibility over time - but I had the two greatest kids from that marriage and so am very thankful - they are my best friends in life.

She never came shooting but was never critical - so in that respect not too bad at all.

My ''now'' wife, #2 - had a very gunny earlier life - her Dad always went to the door with a revo!  She did tho have a prob' after her bro accidentally shot her grandpap (he died!) - it soured her somewhat.

She was OK with my guns until I first carried and then had a prob' but has gotten used to it all now and is herself a CCW - so I am thankful in so many ways - friend, lover, and gun supporter - it does not get too much better. :)

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2005, 08:51:24 PM »
Chris:

We are two lucky guys.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2005, 09:55:54 PM »
Richard and Chris
Well since you both realize how nice you have it .....   Nice stories - thanks.  My wife came from a family where her dad was well into guns and made black powder guns.  She never has any problem on myself and guns (or knives).

What I do wish is that she would get a CCW, but doesn't have the desire.  The chance that she would need to protect herself is probably many times higher than myself.  She works many times late hours in the city and seems to feel nothing will ever happen.  Maybe some day I can convince her.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2005, 10:03:23 PM »
I wish my wife could be convinced, too.  But no way.

She obtained an antique  "hat pin" and placed it in her cell phone case, but that would be of limited value.

Someone in a magazine or newspaper suggested it.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2005, 10:20:35 PM »
Bill, Dave - wish you could convince your respective spouses - I know it can be difficult.  I do still have to ''nudge'' my wife to take her ''friend'' along - trying to instill in her that she is way  too precious to me to want to lose.

You may have tried this already but - tell a ''what if'' scenario - and see how they respond.  I know odds of 10,000:1 perhaps seem as good as certainty that nothing will happen, but I do wish some folks would see that things can and do happen - often in the unlikeliest of places and times.

''Trusting to luck'' will not always cut it all the time.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2005, 12:01:30 PM »
The Mrs was the same way from a very anti family. Then our little munchkin came along and her motherly instincts kicked in. When she said that she was wiling to "die" for our daughter, I pointed out that she was willing to give up her own life but she was not willing to take the proper preventive measure to ensure our daughter was safe ... AND what good would it do to "die" for her child. Once she was dead, our daughter would be unprotected and the 'bad guy' would then do whatever he wanted to our daughter anyway.

Wouldn't it be better to 'live' for her daughter so that she wouldn't grown up without a mother by ensuring both of their safety?

THAT hit a nerve. She now carries an NAA in .32ACP and has adopted my Browning BDA380 as her reach for gun.

I would prefer that she move up to the .38 / 9mm range but she's recoil shy and a .380ACP is the highest that I can get her to go but 14 rounds of .380ACP is nothing to sneeze at especially if she can put the bullets where they're suppose to go and so far, she's able to keep them in the X-ring a 75 feet.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2005, 08:11:44 PM »
What I do wish is that she would get a CCW, but doesn't have the desire.  The chance that she would need to protect herself is probably many times higher than myself.  She works many times late hours in the city and seems to feel nothing will ever happen.  Maybe some day I can convince her.

Dave:

I truly hope you are successful in that regard.  There are a lot of sociopathic criminal types roaming around, especially in the cities at night.  

I've had an abundance of "enemies" in my life, but most of them are now growing old, or languishing in prison, or living overseas, or reaping their eternal reward.  However, as I have previously disclosed on the Forum, my wife is a criminal judge.  She needs no persuasion on the subject of personal protection.  During the nine years since our marriage, the little judge has received four anonymous but credible threats of violence against her.  We both tend to go about our lives in a permanent state of what DHS describes as, "Code Yellow."

Thankfully, the good people in this world far outnumber the bad.  Still and all, the bad ones are out there, and some of them are truly evil.

Stay safe.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 05:54:38 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2005, 10:44:29 AM »
Most women believe that everything is ok or is just fine.

One can't just call their secretary and make an appointment for a violent act. Tues at 8:30am or Thurs at 12:45. And then be ready with their husband (who carries) with them.

It will happen when one is least ready for it. Now days this kind of thing happens more often.

Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2005, 05:33:28 PM »
That Tom is so correct - precognition is a rare skill and what you say there I cover with the old saying -

"You can't make appointments, for emergencies" !
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2005, 08:47:57 PM »
I would prefer that she move up to the .38 / 9mm range but she's recoil shy and a .380ACP is the highest that I can get her to go but 14 rounds of .380ACP is nothing to sneeze at especially if she can put the bullets where they're suppose to go and so far, she's able to keep them in the X-ring a 75 feet.

That should be quite sufficient!   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2005, 09:12:41 PM »
She obtained an antique  "hat pin" and placed it in her cell phone case, but that would be of limited value.  Someone in a magazine or newspaper suggested it.

Bill:

The technique requires up-close-and-very-personal "wet work," but a hat pin can be a deadly weapon if one knows where to insert it.  Stuck in the wrong place, it just increases the attacker's aggression.  

Take heart, though, for it is a small step from a potentially deadly hat pin to a probably deadly pocket pistol.  It would appear to me that you might soon prevail.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2005, 09:19:48 PM »
Richard,

I make sure we watch Cold Case Files and Investigative Reports on TV.

It is not uncommon for me to say:  "Look!  That could have been prevented if she had a handgun!"

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2005, 10:28:36 PM »
Right on!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"