Author Topic: Joining the club  (Read 5864 times)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: Joining the club
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 11:22:58 PM »
Tom called today to tell me that my R9 Stealth has shipped.  So, all going well, I will have shot it by the end of the week.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 12:35:50 AM »
Welcome back, Tom.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 11:35:50 PM »
Tom is not quite out of the hospital, but is keeping in contact with his customers and getting them their guns despite his being there.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 07:42:47 AM »
Bill:

That's great news about Tom!  I'm also glad to hear that you are about to take possession of your new "Stealth" model R9 and look forward to your first range report.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 12:45:08 AM »
Picked up my R9 Stealth today.

Unfortunately, the only 9mm JHP the store/range had was Federal 135 gr. personal defense and Cor-Bon DPX.  Knowing that the Federal was nothing like any of the recommended ammo, I figured I would give it a try and maybe get lucky.

No luck.  It jammed on at least 40% of the rounds.  So, I am now in the process of looking for 115 gr. Winchester Silvertips.

Many of my jams occurred with the round at a high upward angle, which were cleared simply by retracting the slide and releasing it.  I really think stronger magazine springs - at least 10% - would help eliminate these jams by getting the round up in front of the returning slide a bit quicker.  I will guess that stronger magazine springs could really improve the selection of workable ammo.

However, I did have one occasion when the round released from the feed lips prematurely, and the slide attempted to feed two rounds.  This resulted in a jam that wedged the magazine down and back, preventing me from removing it using the magazine release.  I had to pry the offending round out with a screwdriver and then release the magazine.  I think this is a serious disadvantage with the heel magazine release as compared to a frame-mounted push-button.

The trigger stopped working after 38 rounds.  A quick inspection revealed that the right grip panel had loosened.  Because I didn't have an Allen wrench that would fit, that ended my shooting session.  Once I got home, I removed the grip panel, put the sear trigger bar spring back in place, and re-installed the grip panel.  Trigger function returned to normal.  The fix is simple, but I am a little surprised that a $1,100 pistol would come from the factory without the loctite applied if only 38 rounds will loosen it up enough to put the gun out of action.

Knowing what I do about this gun, I have high hopes for it.  The trigger was absolutely beautiful for a DAO with repeat strike capability.  The sights, while small, are a very good compromise between shootability and snag-free draw, and are surprisingly well regulated for a pocket gun.  The grip is comfortable for a gun that size, and recoil is more pleasant than that of my North American Arms .380 despite the extra weight of the .380.  The grip/spring issue can, as has been reported on this forum, be cured with a bit of loctite, which I have here.

Without the information I have learned from this forum, however, a shooting session like the one today would make me ready to tell Rohrbaugh to take back their POS and give me my money back.

At this point, I am hopeful that the gun will work better once it is loaded with the recommended ammo.  I knew when I bought the gun that ammo sensitivity is an issue, as it is any time a gun pushes the size and weight limits of a given caliber like this one does.  However, I do need 100% reliability with at least one readily available JHP before I carry it.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 01:35:08 PM »
Bill - thx for the report.  Sorry to hear you had some early issues - and hopefully ammo choice will solve that.  The gun does have a very fast cyclic rate and I think at times the slide can get ahead of the mag' delivery.  Be sure the follower is dead smooth all thru its travel, as it should be.

The screw deal - well, with the earlier slightly softer screws, they went from Loctite to no Loctite, because of the screws being hard to get undone without marring.  New screws are in now of harder material but these because they have a bit less ''grip'' are it seems worthy of low strength thread locking again.  The need for such small screws has been quite a headache I think all along.

The new ones most certainly will tend to loosen altho I am not concerned on that.  I always have an Allen wrench at the range and anyways - shooting sessions are not that often these days with the pup.  I am 100% confident that a cinched up screw set will most readily survive a magful plus, ''in extremis'' - and that is my only concern even if the loosening can seem irritating.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline perraultd

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 07:33:23 PM »
I finally got my hands on an R9s, serial 1225.
I bought it from Olde English Outfitters in Tipp City, OH.  They're a great bunch of folks.

I haven't been out to shoot it yet.  I've just ordered some Militec and plan on treating the gun prior to firing.  I have a fresh box of WWB 115 grain JHP to try out.  From what I've read, this load works in the pup particularly well.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Derek

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 08:31:15 PM »
Derek,

Good Luck and definately keep us posted.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 01:15:17 AM »
The 115 gr. Silvertips arrived today.  Hopefully I'll have better luck this weekend.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2006, 08:30:24 AM »
It will be better, not perfect. The Rohrbaugh seems to need a break-in period.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 09:54:15 AM »
Derek, Take care and have fun with your new pup.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 06:54:22 PM »
Had my second trip to the range today.  Frankly, I am really hoping I didn't make a $1,100 mistake.

I cleaned the gun thoroughly before going, and properly lubed the gun according to the instructions.  I loctited the right side grip screws in place.  I brought the recommended ammo - Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips.  I had all six of my magazines with me, and tested all of them.  So, there should be no reason why this gun shouldn't work, right?

Wrong.

I shot 100 rounds, and experienced at least 44 jams.  I had no less than 2 jams per magazine.

At least 7-8 of the jams happened with the round that should have gone into the chamber oriented perfectly vertically.  Another 7-8 happened with the round that should have gone into the chamber releasing from the feed lips too early, with the slide trying to push two rounds into the chamber.  I had to clear these by pulling the slide back, reaching in with a finger, and prying out the top round.  Towards the end, I was getting to the point where I was pleasantly surprised when the gun worked.

I suppose I could try a different ammo, but both types of ammo I used were standard pressure JHP's with relatively rounded bullet profiles.

From what I saw, these are not ammo problems.  These are either gun problems or magazine problems.  Most likely, they are problems with the design of the magazine.

Today totally confirmed my earlier impressions that the magazine spring is too weak to get the cartridge in front of the rapidly moving slide, as confirmed by the vertical cartridges.  It also leads me to suspect that the feed lips are too short, as shown by the too-early release of the cartridge.  Both of these problems need to be fixed by redesign of the magazine, and unless that happens, I don't see them being solved.

I would certainly like to hear any suggestions that any of you have, and plan to call the factory on Monday.

At this point, I would bet my life on a $300 Kel-Tec before I would bet it on this $1,100 gun.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2006, 12:48:38 PM »
BillinPittsburgh,

See the topic titled Here is the Ammo that works that is further down in this same subforum.  I can pretty much tell you for sure that this ammo will work.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 01:37:29 PM »
Hi Bill:

Forget the ammo and send the gun back to Rohrbaugh for review. There is no way that you should have had as many problems that you did.  

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006, 02:27:38 PM »
But of course George!

Bill, when it comes back IF you still have some problems then try the ammo I suggest.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member