Author Topic: Older vs Newer Rohrbaugh's ???  (Read 11294 times)

Offline ap1169

• Sharpshooter
Older vs Newer Rohrbaugh's ???
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »
I need a little bit of help from you Experienced Rohrbaugh shooters.
Which are better pistols:  The older ones , low serial numbers, or the brand new ones just coming out now.  The older ones had carbon fiber grips and the new ones do not.  The new ones seem to have a better finish on the slides.  The springs are different.  I would appreciate you input.  Thanks, Robert

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Older vs Newer Rohrbaugh's ???
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:40:19 PM »
I have a very early R9s (serial #3xx) with updated springs.  I'd guess that all the early R9 pistols that are actually being used have updated recoil and magazine springs.  The springs are readily available thru Rohrbaugh at reasonable prices.  (There are probably plenty of early build "safe queens" out there with original springs and almost zero rounds fired....but I buy guns to use them.)

To answer your original question, if I was buying another R9 I'd be looking for a later serial number with one of those hi-tech finishes for decreased friction / wear.  That's the only thing I wish my early R9 had.  The Diamond Back DLC coating on the Stealth appears to really reduce friction.
The grip issue is mostly a matter of individual taste.  My R9 came with the Carbon Fiber grips, but they now reside in my gun safe in favor of a set of Hogue Extreme Grips.  I actually find their textured surface gives me a better hold when firing the gun.  And I can always put the CF grips on for those fancy barbecues.  ;D

Just my humble opinion....

Steve

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 07:07:46 PM »
I don't think there have been any major changes to the gun, but I'm sure there have been tweeks and updates to the internal  
works. My money goes to the new models, I had an older model with CF grips, kept the grips sold the gun.  ;D

John
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:08:21 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »
In addition to the excellent comments of Steve and John, this link may lead to some information of interest:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1254508108;start=0#0
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
I agree with Steve on the prospect of a new purchase; however, I wouldn't give up my earlier models, either. Also, there is no doubt that the slide, extractor, etc., have been improved with the current models and, perhaps, have enhanced the reliability and performance.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:30:00 PM by tracker »

Offline ap1169

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:39:42 PM »
Thanks Richard for the Serial Number information.  After reading about Farmies, what are they bringing price wise these days?  Did they all have carbon fiber grips?  Thanks, Robert

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »
Farmies are less than 1000 from what I have seen. The only issue is that they are hard to find. I usually see 1 or 2 pop up a month.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:52:16 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 11:24:47 PM »
Asking the price of a Farmingdale is like asking the general price of a vintage Mercedes; it all depends on the rarity of the model and its condition.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 06:26:49 AM »
Value and price are two different things. Farmingdale R9s are coveted for their collector interest, particularly those that are one tone (silver) and have carbon fiber grips.

I would pay more for an early (one tone) Farmingdale than I would for a two tone new R9s; extrinsic of considerations like improved/enhanced features on newer guns.

Getting my Robar one tone (silver) R9 has cured me of my previous quest for a Farmingdale.

Ultimately, "Value" is what one is willing to pay.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:41:52 AM »
Robert:

Tracker and ACP have stated it as well as I could ever hope to do. As for my Farmingdale No. 132 - "priceless" . . . "beyond monetary value" . . . "from my cold dead hands" . . . etc., etc.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 09:41:04 AM »
Thank you, Richard, for your statement "..from my cold dead hands". It reminds me of the late Charleton Heston.

Tomorrow is Martin Luther King's birthday. Who was that white guy sitting several rows behind Dr. King during his "I Have a Dream" speech? Was that not Charlton Heston?
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 11:52:50 AM »
This is just a, my opinion thing, and if you disagree, that's OK and really just a statment about the older Rohrbaugh.

It's all about the early Farmingdale model.  The one tone, mint and never fired.  I just want one.  I have the newer one, and agree with all the above comments about the new models, but it's that intrigue, knowing how scarce the Farmingdales' are, especially in the condition I mentioned.

Does it exist in that condition?  In Eric's safe, I know.  How about someone else and would they be willing to part with it?

Then price steps in...got to be a bunch!  

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 01:21:15 PM »
I do not establish values but I do decide what I would pay. If a one tone, carbon fiber grip, early Farmingdale R9s came to market, in excellent condition with papers, orginal box, etc., I would be willing to pay as much as I did for my Robar R9s; $1895.00.

Disclaimer: I am NOT looking for one of these guns as my Robar R9s fulfills this gap, as previously stated.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 02:28:41 PM »
The early Farmingdale, one tone, new, never fired, with original box and papers, I would be interested in.  Has to meet all the criteria.

Value is in the eyes of the beholder!   My view, of course.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:03:50 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »
The early Farmingdale, one tone, new, never fired, with original box and papers, I would be interested in.  Has to meet all the criteria.

Value is in the eyes of the beholder!   My view, of course.

Now, now, KJ. Remember that each R9 is test fired before leaving the factory. Besides, as I once noted in another thread, "Virginity can often be highly overrated."  ;)  :) :D ;D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"