Author Topic: Older vs Newer Rohrbaugh's ???  (Read 11293 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Older vs Newer Rohrbaugh's ???
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 12:34:29 PM »
David:

I must say that your story covers the matter very well.  Thanks for posting it.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ap1169

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 01:52:22 PM »
Thanks David for the good information.  I now have a new one and will for looking for an older Rohrbaugh. Robert

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 05:42:35 PM »

I do not establish values but I do decide what I would pay. If a one tone, carbon fiber grip, early Farmingdale R9s came to market, in excellent condition with papers, orginal box, etc., I would be willing to pay as much as I did for my Robar R9s; $1895.00.

Lets see.

I have a Farmingdale with CF grips but because of a slide defect Rohrbaugh replaced my Farmingdale slide with a Deer Park slide.

So now I have a Farmingdale / Deer Park half-breed.  

Now what in hell is that worth.    :) :)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:45:08 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
$200 but I'll give you $350 shipped!  ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 05:58:53 PM »
I've got two older R9's (Farmy & Older Deer Park) both w/ carbon fiber grips.  I've shot several hundred rounds of 124 gr Gold Dots through each without a hiccup.  After purchasing both I replaced the recoil, and magazine springs along with new grip screws.  To say that the new R9's are any more reliable is not possible in my case, since both of my R9's have been flawless.  As with any semi-auto pistol, keeping it clean, and running enough high quality ammo through it to instill confidence in it is key.  I wouldn't carry either of my R9's if I didn't believe they would work.  I'm not a collector, I have them to carry.  This is in no way a recommendation to do anything, it's just my story  ;D

David

David.  Excellent.  I look forward to finding my older one; very good words.  Thanks.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »

I also have one of those half-breeds like you Dave but it works so well I don't like to leave home without it.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »
Have there been any design changes to the internals that anyone has documented? I thought my Farmingdale had an unusual amount of internal wear for the barely 100rds I put though it. Then there was the problem where I could not get the grip screws removed because they were oxidized to the frame.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »

I had the same grip screw oxidizing problem you mention but didn't know it until the screw head failed and came off the grip. This was discussed in great length on an earlier post. As far as I know there is no documentation of internal changes. If there is it is a well kept secret.

The basis for my mentioning improvements is visual observation of my new slide and ejector compared to the old one. They just appear to be more heavy duty and it works very well compared to the old slide that produced multiple failures and a sllde crack. My opinion is that functional improvements have evolved over time; that is a good thing.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 12:35:17 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what would my R9s serial # R173 be worth these days? I took it out of the safe and was carrying it in a Ron Graham Alligator skin pocket holster this evening. The gun is in mint condition and I am thinking about starting to carry it regularly again.

Eric Rohrbaugh, a fine gentleman by the way, convinced me to buy one at the NRA Convention in Pittsburgh PA.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 07:00:14 AM »
Not sure I have an answer and I am happy with my Robar R9 and Rafter S holster.

However, an early R9 with a Ron Graham alligator rig is going to have some of our members drooling!
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 09:30:40 AM »
That is for sure.  I'm still looking for that early Farmingdale without the R prefix.

Not obsessed with finding it, just on the lookout.  If it comes about, well and good.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what would my R9s serial # R173 be worth these days? I took it out of the safe and was carrying it in a Ron Graham Alligator skin pocket holster this evening. The gun is in mint condition and I am thinking about starting to carry it regularly again.

Eric Rohrbaugh, a fine gentleman by the way, convinced me to buy one at the NRA Convention in Pittsburgh PA.

jb.  I don't have an answer for you either, but do admire your early R9.  I looked back at the posts and saw your photos; outstanding.  

I'm sure someone here may have an idea as to its' worth.  Continue to enjoy it, as you do have a rare gem.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 08:20:23 PM »
 Rarity & demand will dictate what the owner is willing to accept and the buyer willing to pay.

The economy has made this a buyer's market. However, with an early R9, in excellent condition, and a highly prized holster, I would aim high if I were the seller.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 08:38:39 AM »
Definitely agree!