Author Topic: Silvertip Problem or R9 Problem ?  (Read 8417 times)

Offline Doug-2

Silvertip Problem or R9 Problem ?
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »
I've had my R9 for a few weeks now and have put 4 boxes of Gold Dots (115 Grain) thru it without a hitch.

Needless to say I was excited when I came upon 5 boxes of Silvertips yesterday that just arrived at my dealer.

Well today I went to the range and had a problem.  The first two mags ( 14 rounds with 1 chambered were flawless).  Mag # 3 had two rounds that did not fire on the first pull and Mag #4 had three rounds that required two pulls on one and three pulls on two of the rounds before firing.  No problem with the feeds but 5 of the last 14 rounds required two and three trigger pulls before firing.

Can it be the new Silvertips or do I have problems with hammer and firing pin mechanism ?   Anyone have this happen before ?

Doug

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Silvertip Problem or R9 Problem ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:35:31 PM »

Doug,
Welcome and I would suggest going back to the GDs. This is unusual on Silvertips but after having a similar issue with Critical Defense ammo I don't trust any of them anymore. It sounds like hard primers to me but you may be able to isolate that issue with different ammo.

Offline IOM

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:54:20 PM »
You might want to read through this old thread and see if your grip screws might be loose.  This guy was having the same problem as you describe (with silvertips).

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1237069457;start=

Not sure if this is your problem, it's just some place to start.

David
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 10:57:20 PM by ItsOnlyMoney »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:05:44 PM »
Good information there, David.  Such a simple thing can cause such  a big problem.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 01:46:50 AM »
I have always had a great respect for Silvertip ammunition. (I do understand in the scheme of things it is an old design)but when the Seecamp company had all sorts of issues with Winchester, I turned to all Gold Dots. I do have some older 9mm and .380 in Silvertips I use.I trust those.

Doug, I'd like to thing this is a case of lousy ammunition.
Go back to Gold Dots, check the function of the R9 with them. If you have zero issues as you had in the past, stick with the GD's. Use up the ST's for practice. I'll buy a box from you and try them out in my R9, I'd like to see the results.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 07:08:53 AM »
chamleon.  Good idea.  I sure hope it's not the new production of Winchester Silvertips.  A lot of us are buying more of this, knowing how it did a year ago.  I already have some of the new and will have to give it a try.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:09:35 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
Doug Welcome.

If you haven't already, check the firing pin hole to be sure nothing is in there that shouldn't be. Two mags flawless and then big problems would seem to indicate that something happened that impaired function.

Good Luck,

Rick

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »
Doug.  Rick makes a good point.  Take a can of compressed air and blow out the firing pin hole really good.  You've problably already done this but if not, give it a try.

I'm sure you've also already cleaned the R9's internals already too, but if not, be sure to do so.  Sorry for stating such simple things, but the tight tolerances of the R9 require it to be clean.  Just some thoughts.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
Doug, I doubt it is the pistol, but you can stick a pencil or a wood dowel down the barrel, EMPTY GUN of course, and pull the trigger to test the function of the firing pin,the dowel should clear the barrel.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 12:32:49 AM »
    I just went to check my 9mm STs that showed up today, and they don't have a lot number that I could find. I dug out my other STs, in .45 acp, .45 lc and some .25 acp that I got for a Seecamp. All of these were new in the last year or so. Not one of the boxes had a lot #. I don't remember if the older ones had numbers or not. If anyone has any old ones would you please check them over. I would appreciate it.    Gene
birdman

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 01:08:52 AM »

On a not too recent box of STs I see some numbers on the inside side flap of the box but it doesn't say lot number. That is the only id on the box.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 07:34:55 AM »
I see the same thing on a box of 9mm Silvertips just received from RR Arms.  A stamped number is on the inside flap, 24DD62.  On a box of .380 Silvertips, on the inside flap is the number 0298F92.  Seems like that must be the lot no.

Just checked a year old box and it's the same way.  Number is stamped on the inside flap.    

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:01:26 PM by kjtrains »

Offline Doug-2

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 06:33:56 PM »
I see the same thing on a box of 9mm Silvertips just received from RR Arms.  A stamped number is on the inside flap, 24DD62.  On a box of .380 Silvertips, on the inside flap is the number 0298F92.  Seems like that must be the lot no.

Just checked a year old box and it's the same way.  Number is stamped on the inside flap.    

I kust checked my 5 boxes of Silvertips that had the potential problem per my post.  There is a stamped # on the flap of all boxes that is close to yours - 24DD72 (same on all boxes).  That must be a lot #.

I want to thank everyone for their posts.  They have been vey helpful.  I've been busy since my problem range report and am going to clean the gun now and will post any findings I might have.

Doug

Offline Doug-2

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 11:12:57 PM »
Update:

Well I was finally able to clean the gun and shoot again today.  Still having problems.

Gun cleaned up well and firing pin area appeared clear with no shaving anywhere.  One thing I noticed was a very small chip on the top corner of the frame back by the hammer but in front of it.

Today I only fired two clips, one with Gold Dots and one with Silvertips.  Both clips had two FTF or four FTF out of 12 rounds.  I examined the FTF cartridges and all four had very light hits, barely noticeable.

When I got home I checked the grip screws (I have never checked them before) and all were very tight except for the top front one by the serial #.  It was definitely a bit loose.

I'm in a bit of a quandry.  I need to shoot again now that I've tightned the one grip screw.  I can't imagine that is the problem nor do I think the small frame chip is either.  I'll shoot again and then I think it's a call to my friends at Rohrbaugh.

Doug

Offline Chihuahua TN

• Denial, after all, is a powerful thing!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 11:56:17 PM »
Following your post, you can read mine about GDs,
Mike