Author Topic: Silvertip Problem or R9 Problem ?  (Read 8420 times)

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
Re: Silvertip Problem or R9 Problem ?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 07:42:09 AM »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 07:46:35 AM »
Doug, I know you have high hopes of the grip screw being the issue here, but I think that a loose grip screw would cause a more catastrophic problem. A loose grip screw would allow the trigger bar to become loose and not correctly work the hammer, or rather not work the hammer at all. So long as the hammer is moving rearward and falling after your trigger pull there would be adequate force to strike the primer. I don't believe your problem is mechanical, not with the pistol anyway.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 09:38:36 AM »
Doug.  We'll be following your next range session and hope your quandry comes to an end.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Doug-2

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »
Doug, I know you have high hopes of the grip screw being the issue here, but I think that a loose grip screw would cause a more catastrophic problem. A loose grip screw would allow the trigger bar to become loose and not correctly work the hammer, or rather not work the hammer at all. So long as the hammer is moving rearward and falling after your trigger pull there would be adequate force to strike the primer. [glb]I don't believe your problem is mechanical, not with the pistol anyway.[/[/glb]quote]

The hammer functions well and always has even when dry firing with snap caps.  I stopped at two clips yesterday because there was no point going further.  Both Gold Dots and Silvertips each had very light primer hits.  Not sure I understand your comment on problem not being mechanical ?  

Doug

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »
I would also think that loose grip screw was not the issue, I can't imagine it working in an intermittent fashion. The trigger bar would either be engaged or not.  Have you removed the right grip panel and checked the spring and trigger bar attachment ?

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 03:14:37 PM »
I don't know if the grip screw is the problem; I sure hope it is.  I can't imagine both Silvertips and Gold Dots having light primer strikes and it be an ammo problem.

ItsOnlyMoney suggested this thread at the beginning of this one:  See nonseven's post 6th from the bottom of page.  He sent his R9 back to the factory, got it back with the conclusion being, loose grips screws.  He had the same problem with light primer strikes with Silvertips and Gold Dots, but his fired, except one   Factory did replace magazine springs as well.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1237069457;start=15
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:12:53 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline IOM

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 07:36:51 PM »
If I were in your shoes, I'd call Rohrbaugh and see if you can send it back and have them take a look at your R9.  In my opinion, you shouldn't be having problems with both GD and silvertips.

David

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 07:40:48 PM »
I'd want to know, first, if that grip screw helped anything after tighting.  If not, off to Rohrbaugh.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 07:55:02 PM »
Agree with KJ. This is very unusual but if there is anything similar to hard primers small pistols with a light strike tendency can contribute to the issue. This could be a combination of factors including but not limited to the hammer spring.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:55:23 PM by tracker »

Offline Doug-2

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 11:29:10 PM »
I agree with the last few posts on the one loose grip screw I found.  I will be very surprised if that fixes the light primer hits on both GD's and Silvers.  In any event I'm off to the range tomorrow and will report in on my findings.  Just for the record my problems with GD's last time out are from a box with same lot # as the first 4 boxes I shot (80 rounds) without a hitch.  And then the problems began which generated this thread.  Again I appreciate all the input.

Doug

PS - no feed problems so far

Offline Doug-2

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 05:41:47 PM »
Range Report:

Just got back from the range after tightening the one loose grip screw, which in fact was only abut a quarter to half turn.

In any event I only shot one clip of Gold Dots and had 4 lite primer hits and 3 actual rounds that fired.

I called Maria at Rohrbaugh, we had a very good conversation and she agreed the gun should come back to see what is going on.

My first Rohrbaugh.  I was extremly pleased with the start, I'm anxious to see what's going on.  I've been thru a lot of guns.  I'm a stickler for reliability.  I really like this gun and don't want to give up on it yet.

Doug

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 05:57:12 PM »
It will be interesting to see what the culprit is.  Sorry you're having that trouble, for sure.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »

As was earlier suggested it just may be some issue with contamination in the firing pin recess; you did the right thing.

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
It looks like it would be fairly easy to disassemble the firing pin assembly to check and clean. Wondering if anybody has done this, and what problems might arise from trying it.

Rick

Offline Doug-2

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
It looks like it would be fairly easy to disassemble the firing pin assembly to check and clean. Wondering if anybody has done this, and what problems might arise from trying it.

Rick

Interesting thought.  I did not want to disassemble as the gun was firing intermittently and I'm not sure what I would be looking for.  Maria at Rohrbaugh agreed and thought my problem was a bit different than most issues which occur with these guns.  Returned gun yesterday for service, will update when I hear something.

Doug
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:43:41 PM by Doug-2 »