Author Topic: Silvertip Problem or R9 Problem ?  (Read 8423 times)

Offline Doug-2

Re: Silvertip Problem or R9 Problem ?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 01:48:11 PM »

I kust checked my 5 boxes of Silvertips that had the potential problem per my post.  There is a stamped # on the flap of all boxes that is close to yours - 24DD72 (same on all boxes).  That must be a lot #.

I want to thank everyone for their posts.  They have been vey helpful.  I've been busy since my problem range report and am going to clean the gun now and will post any findings I might have.

Doug

Well I just received 4 boxes of Silvertips from Cabela's that have been on order since late Feb.  I noticed the lot # is 24DD72 which is the same as the five boxes I purchased in mid May.  I certainly hope I do not have an ammo problem because I now own 9 boxes of Silvertips with the same lot #.

PS - Rohrbaugh confirmed last week they have my gun and are going over it top to bottom.  Hopefully I will hear soon.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:12:54 PM by Doug-2 »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 02:03:44 PM »

I received the same lot no. as you did from Cabela's.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 02:37:23 PM »
   I certainly hope that it isn't an ammo problem. I just checked my ammo stash and I have nineteen boxes of lot #24dd72!! I bought twenty boxes and fired one box with no problems at all. Something that bothers me a little bit, I bought the twenty boxes from three different websites (R&R arms,Sportsman Outdoor Superstore and Cabela's) and they all had that same number. Silly question,, I guess, but are we really sure that this IS a lot number?       Gene
birdman

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »
All this talk of possible problems with new Silvertips had me worried since I just bought 5 boxes from SOS.

Happy to report I wasted most of one box and they all went bang on the first pull.   :D

And this is on a gun that won't fire HCDs.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 05:13:58 PM »
Now that is good news, at least to me.  Sorry you had those problems with Critical Defense, and glad the Silvertips are working.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Doug-2

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 07:03:23 PM »
UPDATE !

Well after 2 1/2 weeks I got a message from UPS yesterday that a package from Rohrbaugh requiring my siginature was scheduled for delivery - it came last night.

Just as interesting was that Karl Rohrbaugh himself called me yesterday afternoon to discuss the gun.  What a surprise.  We spoke for about 1/2 an hour on many topics and I found him very easy to talk to and very professional.

In a nutshell he advised me they replaced the hammer and sear bar.  He advised (and I'm not sure I got this right) that the hammer lock lug had a bit of rounding and the new hammer should provide a bit more travel.  Not sure why the sear bar was replaced.

Karl also asked if I slow fired the gun to get best target results.  He advised it is best to pull the trigger with a precise "sweep" motion for best hammer travel.

Today I went to the range and fired 53 rounds:  47 Silvertips and 6 saved Gold Dots with lite primer hits from earlier problem.  They all went bang.

I hope this is the sign of a permanent fix.  I'm happy today but for me I need to have a least 200 good rounds thru it.  A good start today.

I will keep you all posted and appreciate your thoughts.

Doug

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »
Doug.  Thanks for the update and good news on the range session.  I think you'll now be pleased with future outings as well.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:12:05 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »

Thanks, Doug; this sounds like a full frontal assault on the light hammer strike allegations that are incompatible with some ammo. It sounds like yours will now fire all ammo with no light hammer strike issues. It would be interesting to know if the new hammer and sear bar are "original issue."

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »
Well Doug, at least there was a drastic improvement from the first range sessions.I'd have to say that the firing of those rounds that didn't go bang the first time is almost proof enough that your problem was addressed and fixed.
Why or how it could have left the factory like that we'll never know, that's what field testing and a repair warranty is for.
Personally I think that a pistol that goes back to the factory for a problem and gets special attention and fine tuning is better than once just off the production line.
There is no doubt in my mind Doug, you have a keeper.
Thanks for hanging in there and the wrap up report.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »

After sending mine back I agree with you on the tweaking improvement issue. Even though it is now a bastardized Farmingdale frame and Deer Park slide it is a very dependable and reliable self defense weapon. That is where we came in on this movie, I think.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 10:07:40 AM »
I have mixed feelings on the bastardized Farmindale/Deer Park.
Yeah, it isn't an original Farmingdale, but still a Rohrbaugh, and there may or may not be any collector value, but what I do like is that you are satisfied that your R9 is now reliable.That to me is worth more than any collector value it would have, but that's me, I want a shooter/carry piece.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »

I agree with you.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »
chameleon and tracker.  I'm with you both on the shooter aspect of the  early Rohrbaugh.  Wouldn't be any use to have a Farmingdale that couldn't shoot.  I'm still looking for that early, early one, but wonder about that problem (the slide needing replacing)  if I find one.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:14:46 PM by kjtrains »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2010, 03:30:15 PM »

There were only a few in the 500-700 s/n range, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it if you want one. That was some bad bar stock as I recall.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »
Thanks, now just to find one;  early, early.