Author Topic: New guy fron NC, pre purchase advice  (Read 7807 times)

Offline scubadds

New guy fron NC, pre purchase advice
« on: July 27, 2010, 04:50:43 PM »
Hi,
Great forum from the 15 pages I've browsed so far!

A familiar story from what I've read, I have lots of different guns but I am on the quest for a better concealed gun. Looking at PM9 and had even considered the P380 and running Buffalo Bore (like a +p .380)

I made the mistake of reading too much junk on other forums from folks that don't actually on a "pup".

Just spoke with Tom and I am ready to take the plunge.

Which model would you guys recommend?
I like the "blackness" of the stealth, but the Robar looks really nice. I don't see any side-side photos of the two. If anyone had a photo it would be appreciated!

Is there any real differences in the durability between stealth finish and robar; and is the reduced friction from the robar worth the extra coin?
I just remembered I  sold a Colt 6940 last week, so I can justify the Stealth but would have to sleep on it before stepping up that much in price for the robar
I was leaning towards ordering the extreme grips also

Thanks for any advice
 Bryan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:17:51 PM by scubadds »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: New guy fron NC, pre purchase advise
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »
Bryan.  Welcome to the Forum.  Great that you are thinking about a Rohrbaugh.  Just me, but I would recommend the Robar over the Stealth.

The Robar coating, to me, is worth the extra bucks; easier to clean, coating is extra, extra hard, internals are coated.  Another way to go, is buy a regular R9s and have Robar coat it; save some dollars.

It's all in what you want.  The Stealth is nice, but coating not as durable, in my opinion.  Good luck in your decision, and again, welcome.

If you order a Robar, it comes with the extreme grips.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:34:59 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline hdfb910

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 06:56:27 PM »
My first was the Robar and I could not be happier.  I do not own the Stealth so I don't really have an opinion one way or the other.  I wanted the "ultimate" finish so I went with the Robar.  very smooth, easy to clean and I don't worry about corrosion.  I have only had it about a month so my experience is limited.  I picked up a hard chromed pup also and like it, but still prefer the Robar.
Ultimately up to you, so get what you want.  You will end up getting a second one anyway, so get a Robar now and a Stelath later or vice versa.

Pete

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »
Byron:

Welcome to the Forum. Whichever model of the R9 you decide to purchase, you will be the owner of what I believe to be the finest pocket pistol yet designed.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline scubadds

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »
According to the Rohrbaugh website, the Robar has tuned extractor and small enhancements also, is that the case?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 08:20:05 PM »
One thing of which I am certain is that the Rohrbaugh Brothers and Maria, their outstanding customer service representative, would not permit a misrepresentation to appear on their website.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 08:20:10 PM »
Between the stealth and robar, go with the robar IMO. Otherwise get the regular R9s and send it to robar later for the finish. I'm not a big fan of the stealth finish....  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:20:38 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »
My first was the Robar and I could not be happier.  I do not own the Stealth so I don't really have an opinion one way or the other.  I wanted the "ultimate" finish so I went with the Robar.  very smooth, easy to clean and I don't worry about corrosion.  I have only had it about a month so my experience is limited.  I picked up a hard chromed pup also and like it, but still prefer the Robar.
Ultimately up to you, so get what you want.  You will end up getting a second one anyway, so get a Robar now and a Stelath later or vice versa.

Pete

So true  ;D

Offline scubadds

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 08:44:27 PM »
You guys are getting me fired up to find one now...
Guess its rare to see these in stock? Particularly the Robar?

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 08:59:12 PM »
They can easily be ordered from a dealer. I recommend Tom or Aregos on Guns America.

Go to the Robar website and read up on the NP3 plus finish if have not already. The robar finish is the way to go!  
Good luck!   ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:01:49 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline Hayabusa

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »
Welcome Bryan,

I'm pretty new here myself and, like Pete, landed a new Robar over the last month or so.  

I went through the same thought process as you are wrestling with and decided to sell another handgun to get the extra coin for the Robar.  I am very happy I did as the pup is special in a few ways...my first "pocket pistol" and my first gun with the NP3 finish.  Was pricey but worth selling the other gun to get it.

Here's one listed at retail if it's still there.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/964044252/Guns/Pistols/R-Misc-Pistols/ROHRBAUGH_R9S_ROBAR_9MM_PISTOL.htm

By the way, you will want more than one.  I'm itching for a second that is a bit different than my Robar and I also have P7 fever.  Have to sell another couple of guns from the collection.

Good luck!  Whatever you do you can't go wrong!!!

Offline scubadds

Re: New guy fron NC, pre purchase advice
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 09:26:23 PM »
thanks guys, keep the comments coming!
I just went down and fondled the P7M8 just to make sure I don't want to sell it......nope.
I have a nice Colt Commercial,and a FN 5.7 that I would be willing to part with.  I also have a PTR 91 on consignment; trying to scrape up "Play money" to get a SCAR 17s once my dealer gets one.
I will check out the GA ones, thanks

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:57 PM »
scub.  Seems like you may be getting close to the decision on the Robar; what CCW & Haya said.  The Robar, for me, seems like the way to go.  I think you would be proud.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »
Bryan,
Welcome to the forum!!

I am very partial to the older Pups,but if I had the choice and the cashola,the Robar would be my pick!! ;)

Once again welcome!!

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 10:57:06 PM »
Bryan,
Welcome to the forum!!

I am very partial to the older Pups,but if I had the choice and the cashola,the Robar would be my pick!! ;)

Once again welcome!!

Brenden

+1!  My thoughts to the T