Author Topic: Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp. Historic Photographs  (Read 15497 times)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp. Historic Photographs
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:31:59 PM »
I am trying to reduce the size of the photographs I took of our prototype pistols and the fixtures we used to create the R9 Series Pistol. I hope you find this entertaining. It certainly has historic value and I hope those of you who own our firearm get a kick out of this photo history of "The World's Small and Lightest 9mm Handgun" and "The Shooting Illustrated Handgun of the Year for 2005". I have quite a few shots, so it will take me a few days to get them all up here with notes about each one.

This First Photograph: Top left: 1st. fixture to see if the predecessor to the R9 (actually a .380 at that point) would fire. That fixture was placed behind a steel barrier and placed in a ransom rest with a pull string on the trigger. We did not want to get hurt if things went wrong. Karl Rohrbaugh was at the helm. It worked fine, however, this first prototype was interesting in that we had a pressed fit barrel in a sleeve. Karl pulled the string, the round ignited and the bullet went downrange, followed by the barrel insert! lol. 

Second Photograph: Top right: Our First full frame attempt, which had "Safegun" technology. (patented)

Third Photograph. Bottom left:  Second full frame for the early .380

Forth Photograph. Bottom middle: Prototype R9 9mm frame.

Fifth Photograph. Bottom right:  Complete version of our Original gun. It was a .380 ACP Pistol with "Safegun" technology. You had to wear a neodymium magnetic ring to activate the trigger mechanism. That was dropped after a long discussion by me with my brother Karl. Karl agreed to drop the "Safegun" trigger design and just make the plain gun without that feature, which really helped in our marketing early on by the way. You can see the prototype ring just below that gun in the lower right hand corner.   

Enjoy!

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:55:47 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp. Historic Photographs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 11:05:08 PM »
This is how the case looks when you open it. This plastic case has all of the prototype items in it. I will be taking photographs of everything in here and posting them with explanations for each.

More to follow in the next few days.

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:22:03 AM »
Cool stuff

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 06:45:12 AM »
  Yes,very cool Eric.
  Do ya miss it all?

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:15:36 AM »
Very interesting!!!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
Coolness!
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
  Yes,very cool Eric.
  Do ya miss it all?

A little bit, yes. I was with my brother Karl this day along with Donato Fucci Jr., who also working with us at the factory, as we enjoyed a nice day at the range shooting and then had a nice lunch at a brewhaus afterward. It was a fun day. We reminisced about the SHOT Shows and how we would hang out with everyone who was anyone, which was always fun. Throw a name out there and we most likely knew them and they us. We were part of the fabric called the firearms business. . . . . and it was rather interesting! Do we miss the "idiots"?. . . . Not at all. Do we miss working at the shop and wondering what we were going to do for lunch and then sitting at the boardroom table eating and conversing about things and then go back to make something special!? You bet cha we do. . . . . But that was then, and this is now. . . . . . We are retired and figuring out what to do next. Ha haa. . . . . . 

Regards,

Eric R.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »
Very cool Eric!! Looking forward to the rest of the pics. This is the kind of stuff and stories that should be put into a book of the history of the company.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 07:49:51 PM »
  That's great Eric.
  I still got er!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »
  That's great Eric.
  I still got er!

Cool

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »
Very cool Eric!! Looking forward to the rest of the pics. This is the kind of stuff and stories that should be put into a book of the history of the company.

I have thought of writing a book on the company and many other things Karl and I have done in our lives. A little caveat ~ Did you know my brother Karl was the bass player on the hit song in the early 1960s by The Shangri-La's:  "Leader of The Pack"!? 

OK. . . . . There ya go!  Ha haa . . . . .

Have a good night all.

Eric R.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 12:47:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing all the insider stuff with us Eric!
Very cool stuff  8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline mz368

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 07:00:47 AM »
I have thought of writing a book on the company and many other things Karl and I have done in our lives.

Eric-

I hope you do write a book.  Your giving us the back story on the company and the R9 is very much appreciated.  And I still think you and Karl should develop the 45 - I was really looking forward to that one.

-Chris

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 09:54:47 AM »
I have thought of writing a book on the company and many other things Karl and I have done in our lives.

Eric-

I hope you do write a book.  Your giving us the back story on the company and the R9 is very much appreciated.  And I still think you and Karl should develop the 45 - I was really looking forward to that one.

-Chris

There could be a whole chapter in the book just on the 45 ; )

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 04:17:28 PM »
Developing the Rohrbaugh .45 I believe would be an expensive proposition. The prototype picture I saw of it was exciting, elegant, & most of all alluring. Alluring sells. I bet an infusion of some venture capital would make the process easier. I, for one would be interested in being a part of it & I'm sure that I would not be alone. Food for thought......
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!