Author Topic: Stories On How A Flashlight Made A Difference  (Read 4126 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Stories On How A Flashlight Made A Difference
« on: October 27, 2006, 10:57:39 PM »

Fenix P1 Lights Up Accident Scene:

Last night my wife and myself were riding on a dark remote country road when a car came flying around a curve, it crossed the lane and smashed head-on into a SUV in front of me.  Lucky for us since I don't know if we would have faired well in the car if the SUV didn't block us from being the victim.

The SUV, now minus almost the whole front end, tires,  and half the engine slides down the hill by the road some.  The car that caused the accident went over the hill taking out a tree in the process.  The headlights went out on both.  I pulled my Fenix P1 (about as big as your thumb with a 55 lumen LED output for almost two hours of regulated bright light) out of my shirt pocket - would have been nice to have had my Surefire E2E but it was in my truck.  Used the P1 to light up the smoking SUV and helped a dad and his little girl out and away from the wreck - thanks to the inventor of airbags.   The dad and his daughter had been squirrel hunting - the little girl said "Daddy we should have stayed in the woods."

Using the Fenix P1 went down over the hill to the car that was part covered by a fallen tree - there was a man in the driver seat with a face that had looked a lot better before the accident - couldn't tell if there were other injuries.  With the P1 searched in and around the car for any passengers - were none.  The man started coming too and was very scared.  With the P1 lighting up the entire car he calmed down some - didn't want him trying to move around - but he was half out of it - the downside with all the light he could now see the blood.  Found out later he was drinking.  My wife stayed with the other man and his daughter by our car.  

Almost 25 minutes after the accident a police officer finally arrived - there was only one officer on duty and he was at the other end of the township.  Using the P1 light I lite up the hill side so the officer (without a flashlight in his hand) could get down to the car and kept the car lite up until the fire trucks arrived with flood lights.  Then put the P1 back in my shirt pocket by my cell phone and my wife and I continued on our original jourey to a nice Italian restaurant for dinner.

Got the P1 from the www.fenix-store.com (owner David Chow is a real gentleman to deal with) who posted on the forum.  What sold me was a Seecamp forum member's great write up on the P1 and his pictures.  Bought three more as gifts - Rohrbaugh and Seecamp Forum members get a 5% discount.  I still like my Surefire E2E best -  but the P1 is so small that I carry it most of the time.  

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1152328276/0#0

« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 03:03:06 AM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: Stories On How A Flashlight Made A Difference
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 11:20:04 PM »

All here would do the same, or more, if needed.

Started the thread to see if there are any flashlight stories out there.

Other flashlight stories (big and small) welcome.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 11:33:17 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 01:43:35 AM »
+1 on the Fenix P1.  Phenomenal performance from a single LED.

On the recommendation of someone on this forum I checked out the Fenix store website and purchased a P1.

Like Mountainman I have several Surefire lights, including an Executive,  but the P1 is much handier for "all-the-time" carry.  I carry mine in the little belt pouch that came with the light.

I wish the P1 had a tailcap actuation option, but that would make it bigger, heavier, more $$.

Bottom line - Fenix makes some great products.

Steve

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 12:55:37 PM »
First off Dave - relieved you and Nancy were where you were in the traffic.  Second - what a classic demo' of how a flashlight can be a real boon.  

Sounds like a most horrendous wreck.  Ain't DUI wonderful? NOT!

I have no tale to tell in that category.  My daily carry friend is a diminutive E1e - much same size as your P1 - just one 123 battery.  I bought the LED head for mine and tho pricey at over $50 was a very good conversion.  Much extended batt' life, slow fall-off and, effectively no loss in lumens.

Winter before last - dropped mine in snow and even with metal detector it could not be found - I was mortified!  10 days later as snow melted down quite a bit - I saw the butt end of the E1e at the top of a large pile of shovelled snow.  Shook off adherent snow and pressed switch - on it came!!

Week or two ago was finding the switch a tad intermittent - I want the light to come on first time every time.  Spoke to Surefire and they sent me a new one - this time it is a click on/off but part press gives temp light too.

I guess the only time it was a real bonus was when Bonnie and I were at a biker 'do' - a park event with fireworks after the day's run.  A couple was grubbing around in the grass - the wife had somehow dropped her diamond ring and her old man had had his penlight come apart!!!  I flooded the area of interest with the E1e and in short order the penlight bits were retrieved, along with a rather nice ring.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:05:50 PM »
Dave:

You and Nancy are to be commended for your actions in this situation.  Thank God neither of you were injured and your own vehicle was not damaged.  I fear that all too many people would simply not want to become involved and would drive on by the accident.

I carry a Fenix P1 but have not yet had to use it in a crisis situation.  It's an amazing little light.  Most of the use mine has had has been by my wife, who likes to borrow it for reading in the car while we are driving at night.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 01:07:50 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 12:20:42 AM »
Dave,

Glad to hear you and your wife were safe, and you are a member of an increasingly rare group that would stop to help someone else.

There is a Surefire L4 with me everywhere I go, but there are definitely times when the pockets get crowded and my E1E is tempting.  I may have to invest in the LED conversion head.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 06:33:43 PM »
I have two of these on the way..

the ORB Raw

http://www.theorb.co.uk/
RJ=

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 07:44:13 PM »

the ORB Raw

I only have one coming!! ;)

I currently carry a Fenix LP1(1 AA) and think it's great..I had a problem with the head not working and a replacement was sent without a problem!! Great service..

I have several Surefires,would love an E1e,but have not picked one up as yet!!

No stories yet accept that I use the light most every day because it is in my pocket-keeps company with my mag pouch.. ;D

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 07:25:31 AM »

the ORB Raw

RJ:

Thanks!  Just in time for Christmas!  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 11:52:24 AM »
RJ,
Did you order the Orb from England? I used your reassembly
tool yesterday; thanks for simplifying my life.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 08:03:24 PM »
RJ,
Did you order the Orb from England? I used your reassembly
tool yesterday; thanks for simplifying my life.

Hi Tracker - Some of us on the Seecamp Forum (RJ and myself included) did a group Orb Raw NS buy - got a discount and the light engraved with the Seecamp logo.

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1158928443/0

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 07:18:54 PM »
Me too.. ;D

Looking forward to it!!

Brenden

Hi Tracker - Some of us on the Seecamp Forum (RJ and myself included) did a group Orb Raw NS buy - got a discount and the light engraved with the Seecamp logo.

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1158928443/0
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe