Author Topic: Jumping In  (Read 5716 times)

Offline Campy

Jumping In
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
Just wanted to introduce myself. I just joined the forum after picking up a R9S Covert yesterday. I prefer to carry something bigger but usually resort to pocket carry when the days get warmer. I have been using a PM9 for that duty but couldn't pass up the Covert at the LGS. Hope to hit the range in the next day or so to run a few rounds through. Then I suppose I will give my first take down and reassembly a try. I have learned a lot just browsing around here and hope I can contribute along the way.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Jumping In
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:21:45 PM »

Welcome aboard, Campy, and congratulations on your new Covert. A recommendation from some experienced forum members is to diassemble, clean, and lube prior to the first range session, time permitting.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »
Welcome also and congrats on your new Covert.   Keep it clean, hold it tightly, keep the grip screws (esp. right side) tight.  I have a Covert and would recommend at least 100 rounds through it before carry.  Gold Dots seem to work best for many us us. 
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
Campy

Welcome to the forum. Do enjoy your new covert! :)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 05:51:16 PM »
Just wanted to introduce myself. I just joined the forum after picking up a R9S Covert yesterday. I prefer to carry something bigger but usually resort to pocket carry when the days get warmer. I have been using a PM9 for that duty but couldn't pass up the Covert at the LGS. Hope to hit the range in the next day or so to run a few rounds through. Then I suppose I will give my first take down and reassembly a try. I have learned a lot just browsing around here and hope I can contribute along the way.

Welcome and congrats on the new Covert.  Enjoy!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »
Campy,

Welcome! I hope you enjoy and carry your R9 as much & as often as I do. You might want to look around the forum classifieds for some of the tools that make assembly/dis assembly easier. I have a tool from Yankee2500 and Dave that I use faithfully. Someone passed on the tip of using a old style cotton Q-tip with one end cut off with snips as a good punch for pin removal.

Let us know how you like your Pup and how she shoots.

Robar233

Offline Campy

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 09:50:48 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. Regards disassembly, tools, etc. my LGS sales guy, who also carries one CCW, showed me how to take it down/reassemble. While he didn't remove the spring, he did the rest in a matter of seconds with no tools. No doubt he has done it a few times, but it made me hopeful I can manage. I also think it is likely that I will end up cussing a bunch and buying some tools.

Regards the break-in, did you guys mostly use Gold Dots or shoot 100 rounds of other stuff then a box or so of GDs to confirm their function? I plan to carry with GDs but was thinking about shooting some other stuff first.     

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 07:22:06 AM »
Wecome to the Forum.   By the way, what is LGS?

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Campy

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 09:43:58 AM »
Local Gun Store.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »
Thanks for the welcome. Regards disassembly, tools, etc. my LGS sales guy, who also carries one CCW, showed me how to take it down/reassemble. While he didn't remove the spring, he did the rest in a matter of seconds with no tools. No doubt he has done it a few times, but it made me hopeful I can manage. I also think it is likely that I will end up cussing a bunch and buying some tools.

Regards the break-in, did you guys mostly use Gold Dots or shoot 100 rounds of other stuff then a box or so of GDs to confirm their function? I plan to carry with GDs but was thinking about shooting some other stuff first.   

Campy:

And a welcome from me as well.

Regarding break-in, I echo Tracker's comment regarding a good clean and lube prior to the first range session. As for ammunition, I and a number of other members have used Winchester "White Box" FMJ for the initial range session, although it is what I call a "dirty" round. Speer Gold Dots are excellent carry rounds for this pistol. I've used them myself in the past, although I have now gone back to Remington Golden Saber 124-grain (standard pressure) loads. That is just my personal preference and I am no "missionary" on the subject.

Good luck with your Covert.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"