Author Topic: 9mm Critical Defense and Hydra Shoks  (Read 7101 times)

Offline ilv2hunt

9mm Critical Defense and Hydra Shoks
« on: December 26, 2010, 02:03:11 AM »
Fired my R9S Stealth for the first time today and had an issue I want to run by everyone. It was really cold and I didn't have much time so I only fired 4 mags through it. Used 2 different kinds of ammo(2 mags of each)with one being Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX and the other Federal Personal Defense Hydra Shok JHP 135gr. Both were equally accurate at about 28-30 feet away, The hydra shoks performed flawlessly but the Hornady not so much. I had to pull the trigger 2-3 times for almost every round of the Hornady. I want to try other ammo and spend more time(when I get a chance)shooting my R9. For now though: DO YOU GUYS THINK IT WOULD BE THE GUN OR THE AMMO? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will have to carry my Seecamp 380 for now until I can get this figured out. Thanks in advance, Chris.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
Re: 9mm Critical Defense and Hydra Shoks
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 09:42:30 AM »
Hornady CD = Hard Primers. Just Google it for more info  ;) I personally use 115 GDs and have never experienced any problems.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »
Glad you were able to shoot the new pup. There have been issues in the past with the CD ammo but I have not heard of issues recently.
Here is a link to some info I posted a little while ago about Critical Defense ammo.
  I like Winchester Ranger ammo, Gold Dots, Hydra Shocks and Silvertips.
 Eric Rohrbaugh carries Gold Dots in his pup. (at least that is what he carried a few years ago)

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1292857637

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »
ilv2hunt,
First, welcome to the forum.  Lots of good info to be found here.  Lots of good people as well...
I second what FloridaCCW says.  Speer Gold Dots seem a trouble-free round.  Federal Hydra-Shok and Winchester Silvertip also seem to work well in the R9, judging by past threads on carry ammo.  Some members swear by Remington Golden Sabers in 147 grain.
Hornady Critical Defense has caused issues for many Rohrbaugh forum members.    Unlike Speer, Winchester and Remington (who manufacture their own primers), Hornady buys its primers.  Over the past couple of years, ammo components have been in short supply and the small ammo companies like Hornady have had to take whatever primers they could get.  I've shot up a couple of boxes of Hornady C.S. in my R9s with no issues, but I still don't trust them enough to carry - yet.

To answer your question directly, I'd wager it's the ammo not the gun.  Still, you need to shoot more brands of premium (expensive!) ammo thru your R9, then stick with the brand that works best in YOUR GUN!

Steve

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
Fired my R9S Stealth for the first time today and had an issue I want to run by everyone. It was really cold and I didn't have much time so I only fired 4 mags through it. Used 2 different kinds of ammo(2 mags of each)with one being Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX and the other Federal Personal Defense Hydra Shok JHP 135gr. Both were equally accurate at about 28-30 feet away, The hydra shoks performed flawlessly but the Hornady not so much. I had to pull the trigger 2-3 times for almost every round of the Hornady. I want to try other ammo and spend more time(when I get a chance)shooting my R9. For now though: DO YOU GUYS THINK IT WOULD BE THE GUN OR THE AMMO? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will have to carry my Seecamp 380 for now until I can get this figured out. Thanks in advance, Chris.

ilv.  Good info above and I support using what works best in "your" R9.  I use only 115 gr. Winchester Silvertips and have never had a problem.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ilv2hunt

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »
THANKS a bunch for all of the info gentlemen! I was hoping it wasn't the gun because I would much rather lose faith in one brand of ammo than my gun. I love my R9. I do agree with sslater and plan to spend MUCH more time at the range with several premium defense rounds from various manufacturers(when I get time). I am gonna see what kinds of ammo I can find at the local gunshow this upcoming weekend. Thanks again guys!