Author Topic: Search function, parameters  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Search function, parameters
« on: June 20, 2005, 04:27:33 PM »
Does anyone know how to save the Search parameters, so they are used each time?

Going back only seven days is often not enough to find the information.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Search function, parameters
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 04:52:28 PM »
Bill - assuming I read you right here - I think you'll find that if you bookmark a search result URL - it can be re-accessed easily.

Tho maybe you just mean the parameters of a specific search - hmmmm - not so sure that'd be ''saveable'', unless you saved the page set-up once done prior to actual search action - saving as an html page and then drawing on that next time.  That should work.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Search function, parameters 8) 8)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 05:12:00 PM »
Excellent idea, Chris.  I never thought about that.

I'm a retired  software developer who should know this stuff.

It is fun to forget.  When you get free social security falling out of the sky every month, well,  who cares?  8)

Seriously, I was expecting some sort of "Profile" -like feature where you could customize the search to meet your requirements.

I use Mozilla Firefox so it should be rather easy to implement your idea.

(one big mystery here is inserting the Smiley faces where you want them in the text)

Thanks,

Bill

« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 02:26:42 AM by Michigunner »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:29:26 PM »
Hope it works Bill - tho not tried it.... yet!  Not absolutely sure if form-field entries etc will be held in a page save - guess we'll see!

I mostly run Opera - Firefox does not quite seem as versatile by comparison, tho on occasions when Opera crashes - I do wonder. :P

Haha - the smilies - well, the icon when selected will go to last chr typed so if you want one retrospectively, easiest is to select from where it ''lands'', ctrl+x and paste the bugger where you DO want it!

What sort of software did you work on?  I do a limited amount of web work and image manip' etc ....... tho I kid myself I am semi-retired! ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 05:29:38 PM »
No, unfortunately it does not work.

When the entry panel is displayed, the arguments are initialized to the default values.

I was trying to go back 300 days, but it still came up 7.

I'm just glad this great forum is here.  I wont try to fight with the Search.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 05:48:31 PM »
Chris,

I like Opera, too, and even sent money so the advertising could be removed.

Since Firefox is growing by leaps and bounds, and making a most serious dent into Internet Explorer, until they release the new version, I feel it is best to go where the action is.

For me, life is easier if your setup is most widely deployed.   Then, you can move between computers with a sense of familiarity.  

I was a business major in college, who  didn't know what to do.  The last semester before graduation, they offered a computer course.  That was all it took.

I prefer Assembly language, where you say one thing, and the computer does one thing,  as opposed to higher level languages like Fortran, Cobol, etc.

I was able to perform OK and eventually became an IBM Systems Programmer, who installs and maintains IBM operating systems like MVS on large IBM mainframes.

After many years, I decided to become a Software Developer for a large company who wrote software for programmers using the mainframes.  In other words, just have a lot of fun.

Sorry to blurt out so much information!

Do you prepare display panels for IBM software?

Bill

« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 02:32:42 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 05:52:43 PM »
Sorry about putting OT stuff here, when it should have gone to the Water Cooler - General Discussions

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 06:07:18 PM »
[size=13]Do you prepare display panels for IBM software?[/size]

Nothing so grand Bill!  No I am small scale, simple stuff - I did in early days (read early 80's) try and school myself in machine code - seeing how powerful it was but heck - didn't take long for higher level languages to come along and so - never really got into it again properly.

Now we are so code-bloated I'd hardly know where to start - even Perl and PHP give me headaches so I am just simple ol' html with a soupson of JScript.!  This is anyways a deviation from my true engineering background.

My head hurts if I get too complex - so many more fun things to do! (read - lazy!!) ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »
Engineering is more important than this computer stuff.

Meanwhile, I think we are blessed to have this fine forum.

One of the great pleasures of life is to develop an intense interest in something, in this case the R9S, an object of quality.

It's just like being a kid again.

Bill